Please help! Can anyone make any sense of this?

Old February 12th 05, 01:25 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Lee

Default Please help! Can anyone make any sense of this?

I have two separate broadband accounts. Each on a separate BT
telephone line. One of the broadband accounts is with BT Yahoo the
other is with Freeserve (Wanadoo). One is my daughter's the other 's
mine or business use.

They were both installed over a year ago and have both worked
faultlessly since then. UNTIL:

About two weeks ago at lunch-time one day both broadband lines stopped
working. On disconnecting it was impossible to re-connect. This
happened at exactly the same time on both connections even though one
is BT and the other is Wanadoo.

Both lines were still OK (telephony). Both modems showed two solid
green lights. However neither could make a connection.

I telephoned Freeserve who said they were not aware of any problems.
Wanted me to re-install my modem etc which I knew was a waste of time.

I telephoned BT Yahoo who pretty much said the same thing.

I wondered if there was a problem with the exchange so I telephoned
British Telecom who said there was no problem with the exchange and
the fact that my telephone worked OK and that I had solid green lights
showed the digital line was fine.

I really did not know where to go from there so I knocked on a few
doors locally and found that someone a few doors away had OneTel
broadband and that was working OK.

By now I had run out of people to call and did not really know what to
try next. Then suddenly both lines connected OK.

Things have been fine for a week or so then suddenly again today (at
the same time of day mind you) exactly the same thing has happened
again.

Can anyone suggest where the problem might lie:

1) With the broadband provider - but how can that be when there are
two different providers - do BT Yahoo and Wanadoo share the same
network?

2) With the telephony provider - but then why does the telephone work
and the modems show solid green lights

3) with ?? - who else could it be -

Any help/suggestions would be most gratefully received.
Old February 12th 05, 01:39 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Ian Stirling

Lee wrote:
I have two separate broadband accounts. Each on a separate BT
telephone line. One of the broadband accounts is with BT Yahoo the
other is with Freeserve (Wanadoo). One is my daughter's the other 's
mine or business use.

They were both installed over a year ago and have both worked
faultlessly since then. UNTIL:

About two weeks ago at lunch-time one day both broadband lines stopped
working. On disconnecting it was impossible to re-connect. This
happened at exactly the same time on both connections even though one
is BT and the other is Wanadoo.

Other than 'solid green lights', do the modems have any other sorts of
diagnostics?

Old February 12th 05, 06:41 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
kim

"Lee" wrote in message
om...
[...]

Removing a seemingly unconnected program can often stop a modem from
connecting whilst reinstalling the program can start it working again. It
has happened to me with McAfee VirsusScan and Logitech QuickCam(?). If
possible I suggest setting system restore to a date before you start having
these problems.

(kim)

Old February 12th 05, 07:09 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Lee

Thanks for the reply - I now think that the problem is in fact due to
the major outage that BT have at the moment. What threw me was the
fact it affected both BT Broadband and Wanadoo but it looks to me like
Wanadoo must use BT Network or something. Certainly the service status
that Wanadoo have posted suggests this
Old February 12th 05, 09:23 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Sunil Sood

"Lee" wrote in message
om...
Thanks for the reply - I now think that the problem is in fact due to
the major outage that BT have at the moment. What threw me was the
fact it affected both BT Broadband and Wanadoo but it looks to me like
Wanadoo must use BT Network or something. Certainly the service status
that Wanadoo have posted suggests this

Almost all ISP's use BT to provide ADSL..

Regards
Sunil