Questions about Plusnet's Home Preimer Package

Old February 12th 05, 01:52 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Kolicha

Default Questions about Plusnet's Home Preimer Package

Hi, I have some queries on Plusnet's Broadband Home Premier 512kbps package.

Is the service uncapped (are there any download limits each month, like
1GB)?

Do we get any email addresses/mail boxes with it? If so how many?

Do we get any webspace? If so how much?

And do they support newsgroup access?

Thanks

Old February 12th 05, 01:54 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Kolicha

"Kolicha" wrote in message
Hi, I have some queries on Plusnet's Broadband Home Premier 512kbps

package.

Is the service uncapped (are there any download limits each month, like
1GB)?

Do we get any email addresses/mail boxes with it? If so how many?

Do we get any webspace? If so how much?

And do they support newsgroup access?

Thanks

I forgot, one more thing: Does the package include any microfilters? If so
how many?

Thanks

Old February 12th 05, 03:47 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
James Mourby

"Kolicha" wrote in message

"Kolicha" wrote in message
Hi, I have some queries on Plusnet's Broadband Home Premier 512kbps

package.

Is the service uncapped (are there any download limits each month, like
1GB)?

Do we get any email addresses/mail boxes with it? If so how many?

Do we get any webspace? If so how much?

And do they support newsgroup access?

I forgot, one more thing: Does the package include any microfilters? If so
how many?

Thanks

The service is currently uncapped, however there have been instances
recently of people hammering their connection getting over 200Gb per month
that plus.net have frowned upon and made them aware of it. They will
probably introduce some sort of cap in the next few weeks, there has been a
lot of talk about it on the plus.net newsgroups.
They recently ran a poll and the limits that the customers said they would
accept as a minimum d/load per month was:

- 512k broadband: 53.2 GB
- 1Mb broadband: 95.2 GB
- 2Mb broadband: 130.4 GB

But whatever they intoduce or plan to introduce is....anyones guess

You get unlimited main addresses in the style of
so you could have and
etc etc etc if you had "jones" as your username.

You will get 250Mb webspace.

Newsgroups are available at usenet.plus.net or via their portal web based
thingie for internal groups.

If you get the hardware option, i beleive you get two microfilters, however
if you go for the "no hardware" you dont get anything.

(oh and if you do go for it, if you could use 'mourby' as a referer i
beleive i will get about 10p off my bill...woooooo party me)

James

Old February 12th 05, 10:45 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
PlusNet Support Team

"James Mourby" wrote in message

"Kolicha" wrote in message

"Kolicha" wrote in message
[...]

Hi,

The fair usage proposal that we are looking into introducing is very
different to a cap. A hard cap like some ISP's have chosen to introduce is
not at all what we are looking at and something we do not want to introduce
and something we understand isn't what our customers want.

What we are looking at is to set up a fair usage threshold, something that
will affect less than 1% of our customers. Only if three months running did
you download more than the fair usage threshold would anything happen. We
recognise that sometimes our customers will want to download a lot more in
one month than another, and this system will allow this to happen. You can
exceed the fair usage threshold in one month, even two months in a row and
the only effect would be is an email saying you've used more than the fair
usage threshold, nothing more.

--
With Regards,

Dave,
http://www.plus.net

Old February 12th 05, 11:50 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Andy M

On 12-Feb-2005, "PlusNet Support Team" wrote:

[...]

You have said your newsgroup access is to have a cap and then bandwidth is
limited. Unless this has changed?
Old February 13th 05, 11:05 AM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Kolicha

"Kolicha" wrote in message

"Kolicha" wrote in message
[...]

Thanks for your time, we decided to go with pipex in the end.

Old February 13th 05, 01:51 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Sharon Derben

How does a Plus.net customer find out what their usage history is please?

"PlusNet Support Team" wrote in message

"James Mourby" wrote in

message

http://www.plus.net

Old February 13th 05, 02:10 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
James Mourby

"Sharon Derben" wrote in message
How does a Plus.net customer find out what their usage history is please?

From within the PN portal there is a section called connection settings
where clicking on:

https://portal.plus.net/view_my_broadband_usage/

takes you to a page that shows daily transfer totals, weekly totals, monthly
totals and the past 3 months.

Old February 14th 05, 11:51 AM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Ian Stirling

PlusNet Support Team wrote:
snip
But whatever they intoduce or plan to introduce is....anyones guess

The fair usage proposal that we are looking into introducing is very
different to a cap. A hard cap like some ISP's have chosen to introduce is
not at all what we are looking at and something we do not want to introduce
and something we understand isn't what our customers want.

I would agree, and suggest the kinder, softer alternative of calling it
a "bobble hat".
Old February 14th 05, 12:33 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
PlusNet Support Team

On Sat, 12 Feb 2005 23:50:56 GMT, Andy M wrote:

[...]

Usenet access and usage is counted seperately but the total is included
within fair usage.