Why proxy server set to 127.0.0.1?

Old February 13th 05, 01:53 AM posted to microsoft.public.windowsxp.general,microsoft.public.windows.inetexplorer.ie6.browser,uk.telecom.broadband
Jan Il

Default Why proxy server set to 127.0.0.1?

Hi Zak :-)

If you do not need the proxy, the try the following and see if it helps:

Disable Proxy Settings
ToolsInternet Options Connections tab LAN Settings button
Under Proxy server, make sure the box there is unchecked

Disable Automatic Proxy configuration
http://charterpipelinentx.net/disableproxy.htm

Hope this helps

Jan
Smiles are meant to be shared,
that's why they're so contagious.

Replies are posted only to the newsgroup for the benefit or other readers.
How to make a good newsgroup post:
http://www.dts-l.org/goodpost.htm

I use XP+SP1. I am in the UK and I am connected to NTL broadband.

I am almost certain that I used to have no proxy sevrer set in IE6
Tools Internet Options Connections Lan Settings.

However I now see that the Use Proxy Server box is ticked and the IP
address entered is the loopback address 127.0.0.1 on port 81.

Some web sites do not like this and they have problems.

I also have Zome Alarm 4.5 and also the antivirus Avast (version 4.5
home edition). Perhaps one of these two applications change the LAN
Settings?

I also use Firefox and Opera as browsers. Their own settings seem
unchanged and do not refer to a proxy server but when I try to go to
the problem web pages (eg http://www.firstdirect.com/) then they
return a message protesting about proxy servers.

How can I get around this?