Why proxy server set to 127.0.0.1?

Old February 13th 05, 02:09 AM posted to microsoft.public.windowsxp.general,microsoft.public.windows.inetexplorer.ie6.browser,uk.telecom.broadband
Charlie Tame

Default Why proxy server set to 127.0.0.1?

A popup blocker might do this, check Zone Alarm if it has one, stop blocking
and see if settings change.

In that case what would happen is that ZA is taking over reading the site
and filtering it's content, leaving IE to look at the ZA proxy for the
filtered output.

I hasten to add that I don't know this for sure but it's possible.

There could also be spyware or malware doing this, however try the obvious
first and look for popup blockers, possible antivirus with similar and then
check task manager to see what's running in case that helps.

Charlie

"Zak" wrote in message
I use XP+SP1. I am in the UK and I am connected to NTL broadband.

I am almost certain that I used to have no proxy sevrer set in IE6
Tools Internet Options Connections Lan Settings.

However I now see that the Use Proxy Server box is ticked and the IP
address entered is the loopback address 127.0.0.1 on port 81.

Some web sites do not like this and they have problems.

I also have Zome Alarm 4.5 and also the antivirus Avast (version 4.5
home edition). Perhaps one of these two applications change the LAN
Settings?

I also use Firefox and Opera as browsers. Their own settings seem
unchanged and do not refer to a proxy server but when I try to go to
the problem web pages (eg http://www.firstdirect.com/) then they
return a message protesting about proxy servers.

How can I get around this?

Old February 13th 05, 08:55 AM posted to microsoft.public.windowsxp.general,microsoft.public.windows.inetexplorer.ie6.browser,uk.telecom.broadband
Dr Teeth

On Sat, 12 Feb 2005 20:09:24 -0600, "Charlie Tame"
wrote:

I hasten to add that I don't know this for sure but it's possible.

Some email antivirus scanners do it.
--
Cheers,

Guy

Old February 13th 05, 12:32 PM posted to microsoft.public.windowsxp.general,microsoft.public.windows.inetexplorer.ie6.browser,uk.telecom.broadband
Steve

wrote:

I hasten to add that I don't know this for sure but it's possible.

Some email antivirus scanners do it.

For HTTP?

Old February 13th 05, 07:14 PM posted to microsoft.public.windowsxp.general,microsoft.public.windows.inetexplorer.ie6.browser,uk.telecom.broadband
Charlie Tame

wrote:

I hasten to add that I don't know this for sure but it's possible.

Some email antivirus scanners do it.
--
Cheers,

Guy

Yes I guess they would have to for web based email, but I was not thinking
of that