BT newsgroup access

Old February 13th 05, 10:15 AM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Liam

Default BT newsgroup access

Hi,

Im thinking of migrating to BT - due to the drop in prices etc. (2meg
for 25 seems to good) I'm currently with Pipex. However with Pipex I
enjoy a free access to all newsgroups - could anyone please advise if
this is the case with BT? I read that AOL have stopped all access to
newsgroups

Thanks in Advance!
Old February 13th 05, 11:08 AM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
??????????

"Liam" wrote in message
om...
Hi,

Im thinking of migrating to BT - due to the drop in prices etc. (2meg
for 25 seems to good) I'm currently with Pipex. However with Pipex I
enjoy a free access to all newsgroups - could anyone please advise if
this is the case with BT? I read that AOL have stopped all access to
newsgroups

Thanks in Advance!

i have BT Yahoo broadband and I have access to newsgroups.

it is not something I pay additional money for

Old February 13th 05, 12:53 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
chancellor of the duchy of besses o' th' barn

?????????? [email protected]??.??? wrote:

"Liam" wrote in message
om...
Hi,

Im thinking of migrating to BT - due to the drop in prices etc. (2meg
for 25 seems to good) I'm currently with Pipex. However with Pipex I
enjoy a free access to all newsgroups - could anyone please advise if
this is the case with BT? I read that AOL have stopped all access to
newsgroups

Thanks in Advance!

i have BT Yahoo broadband and I have access to newsgroups.

I have access too, just on BT Broadband, but as I don't need binaries I
prefer to use news.indivual.net.

--
David Horne- www.davidhorne.net
Old February 13th 05, 02:19 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Informer

"Liam" wrote in message
om...
Hi,

Im thinking of migrating to BT - due to the drop in prices etc. (2meg
for 25 seems to good) I'm currently with Pipex. However with Pipex I
enjoy a free access to all newsgroups - could anyone please advise if
this is the case with BT? I read that AOL have stopped all access to
newsgroups

I was on Pipex and migrated to BTyahoo. BTyahoo had most of the newsgroups
I used but not all. I signed up with http://news.individual.net/ for their
newsgroup access which is free and use both BT and news.individual .net via
Outlook Express. If there is a particular group you need then post a reply
here and I will have a look for you.

Old February 13th 05, 05:11 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Beck

"Liam" wrote in message
om...
Hi,

Im thinking of migrating to BT - due to the drop in prices etc. (2meg
for 25 seems to good) I'm currently with Pipex. However with Pipex I
enjoy a free access to all newsgroups - could anyone please advise if
this is the case with BT? I read that AOL have stopped all access to
newsgroups

BT offer a good connection, but their news server has great problems. Not
advisable to use their news service if you rely on it heavily.
If you want to use BT as an isp do so, I use them and have no problems
(apart from ng), but sign up with news.individual.net for a free non-binary
news server.

Old February 13th 05, 05:14 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Beck

"informer" wrote in message

I was on Pipex and migrated to BTyahoo. BTyahoo had most of the
newsgroups
I used but not all. I signed up with http://news.individual.net/ for
their
newsgroup access which is free and use both BT and news.individual .net
via
Outlook Express. If there is a particular group you need then post a
reply
here and I will have a look for you.

If BT don't carry any of your old groups you can always ask for it to be
added in news:btopenworld.broadband.support the request usually takes up to
2 weeks to be added. Providing the content of the group is okay and it is
not in the *free.uk heirarchy then it will likely be added no problems.

Old February 13th 05, 06:48 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Informer

"Beck" wrote

If BT don't carry any of your old groups you can always ask for it to be
added in news:btopenworld.broadband.support the request usually takes up

2 weeks to be added. Providing the content of the group is okay and it is
not in the *free.uk heirarchy then it will likely be added no problems.

Wonder why they don't like the free.uk hierarchy?

Old February 13th 05, 07:40 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Beck

"informer" wrote in message

"Beck" wrote

If BT don't carry any of your old groups you can always ask for it to be
added in news:btopenworld.broadband.support the request usually takes up

2 weeks to be added. Providing the content of the group is okay and it
is
not in the *free.uk heirarchy then it will likely be added no problems.

Wonder why they don't like the free.uk hierarchy?

I am uncertain of the finer details, but there is something in the free.uk
policy which BT do not agree with. Or maybe its the lack of policy? I
recall someone once saying it was because free.uk didn't allow cancelling of
posts by the user and BT objectied to this. I am not sure how true that is
though.

Old February 13th 05, 08:46 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Ivor Jones

"Beck" wrote in message

[snip]

I am uncertain of the finer details, but there is something in the
free.uk policy which BT do not agree with. Or maybe its the lack of
policy? I recall someone once saying it was because free.uk didn't
allow cancelling of posts by the user and BT objectied to this. I am
not sure how true that is though.

I've noticed since I started using it that news.individual.net don't carry
any of the free.uk groups either, anyone know why..? Same reason
perhaps..?

Ivor