So Gold Old BT have fscked up again - Pah!!

Old February 13th 05, 10:36 AM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Rufus Stone

Default So Gold Old BT have fscked up again - Pah!!

So once again our major UK monopoly have screwed up.

A problem in a main Manchester ATM has caused a major Internet outage
in a large proportion of northern England. First started before lunch
time yesterday and the latest estimate of a total fix (of many) is
after lunch today.

BT are quoted as saying they are waiting for some parts. Where from?
It's pathetic, Manchester is only one of the largest cities in the UK.
Don't they have any cupboards there?

Monkeys, all of them.

Bah!!

R.

Old February 13th 05, 10:46 AM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
R D S

"Rufus Stone" wrote in message
idual.de...
So once again our major UK monopoly have screwed up.

A problem in a main Manchester ATM has caused a major Internet outage
in a large proportion of northern England. First started before lunch
time yesterday and the latest estimate of a total fix (of many) is
after lunch today.

BT are quoted as saying they are waiting for some parts. Where from?
It's pathetic, Manchester is only one of the largest cities in the UK.
Don't they have any cupboards there?

Monkeys, all of them.

Bah!!

R.

Mines OK from about 9.30.
Its a shame cos I only got connected on Friday, early evening my keyboard
packed in, sorted something out Sat to find the internet was broken.
Hardly the weekend of mass downloading I had in mind, pah!

Old February 13th 05, 11:05 AM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Mike GW8IJT

"Rufus Stone" wrote in message
idual.de...
So once again our major UK monopoly have screwed up.

A problem in a main Manchester ATM has caused a major Internet outage
in a large proportion of northern England. First started before lunch
time yesterday and the latest estimate of a total fix (of many) is
after lunch today.

BT are quoted as saying they are waiting for some parts. Where from?
It's pathetic, Manchester is only one of the largest cities in the UK.
Don't they have any cupboards there?

Monkeys, all of them.

Bah!!

R.

The trouble is that major outages are a regular thing for BT Internet.
I'm glad I'm not a customer of their's any more.
Regards Mike.

Old February 13th 05, 11:09 AM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Spin Dryer

On Sun, 13 Feb 2005 10:36:31 +0000, [Rufus Stone] said :-

So once again our major UK monopoly have screwed up.

A problem in a main Manchester ATM has caused a major Internet outage
in a large proportion of northern England. First started before lunch
time yesterday and the latest estimate of a total fix (of many) is
after lunch today.

BT are quoted as saying they are waiting for some parts. Where from?
It's pathetic, Manchester is only one of the largest cities in the UK.
Don't they have any cupboards there?

Do you really believe that BT have spare parts for everything at every
location - in effect a double network ? Perhaps they should and you
wouldn't mind paying double to have that privilege.

What's wrong with you Slick.

Old February 13th 05, 11:28 AM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Bob Eager

On Sun, 13 Feb 2005 11:05:05 UTC, "Mike GW8IJT" wrote:

The trouble is that major outages are a regular thing for BT Internet.
I'm glad I'm not a customer of their's any more.

But in this particular case, it isn't a BT Internet problem. It's the BT
network, and affects many ISPs and their customers.

Old February 13th 05, 11:37 AM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Mike Laine

"Rufus Stone" wrote in message
idual.de...
So once again our major UK monopoly have screwed up.

But BT isn't a monopoly any more. It's about time these other ISPs started
to get their act together and instead of leaching poor old BT, got their own
networks up and running. I haven't had any problems on Tiscali., but friends
on Wannado and Virgin have been off.

Old February 13th 05, 11:46 AM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Rufus Stone

On Sun, 13 Feb 2005 11:09:27 +0000, Spin Dryer
wrote:

What's wrong with you Slick.

Nothing thanks.

However, you seem to be one of a certain breed in this country who are
prepared to accept the ever lessening standards provided for you. If
that's what you want then you can be sure you will get it.

R.

Old February 13th 05, 11:48 AM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Peter Hayward

"Mike GW8IJT" wrote in message
"Rufus Stone" wrote in message
idual.de...
So once again our major UK monopoly have screwed up.

A problem in a main Manchester ATM has caused a major Internet outage
in a large proportion of northern England. First started before lunch
time yesterday and the latest estimate of a total fix (of many) is
after lunch today.

BT are quoted as saying they are waiting for some parts. Where from?
It's pathetic, Manchester is only one of the largest cities in the UK.
Don't they have any cupboards there?

Monkeys, all of them.

Bah!!

R.

The trouble is that major outages are a regular thing for BT Internet.
I'm glad I'm not a customer of their's any more.
Regards Mike.

Hmmm.. I've had btopenwoe/yahoo since oct 2000. doubt my downtime has
exceeded 3 or 4 days in total.

Old February 13th 05, 11:50 AM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Rufus Stone

On Sun, 13 Feb 2005 11:37:03 -0000, "Mike Laine"
wrote:

But BT isn't a monopoly any more.

Sure it isn't.

Now, just let me count how many organisations can provide a phone line
to my residential property. Umh.. That took a long time - just one.

Whilst I agree that 'in theory' BT no longer have the monopoly, this
isn't reality. Call it what you like but until we have multiple choice
of carriers, rather than individual ISP's, we all know who calls the
shots.

R.

Old February 13th 05, 11:59 AM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Muxton

wrote:

On Sun, 13 Feb 2005 10:36:31 +0000, [Rufus Stone] said :-

So once again our major UK monopoly have screwed up.

A problem in a main Manchester ATM has caused a major Internet outage
in a large proportion of northern England. First started before lunch
time yesterday and the latest estimate of a total fix (of many) is
after lunch today.

BT are quoted as saying they are waiting for some parts. Where from?
It's pathetic, Manchester is only one of the largest cities in the UK.
Don't they have any cupboards there?

Do you really believe that BT have spare parts for everything at every
location - in effect a double network ? Perhaps they should and you
wouldn't mind paying double to have that privilege.

Their core network, that ADSL and various other ATM-based services
(which is why they call it MSP - Multi Service Platform) run over has
a lot of duplication and built-in redundancy.

So, in effect, yes - they do have spare parts for everything. Which
is why ISPs pay around 1.6 million per year for a 622Mbps connection
to it, because it costs a fortune to keep the thing running.

However, yesterday's problem was fixed within SLA (no guaranteed
response time, 40 clock hour fix) so they operated within contract,
therefore there should be no grounds for complaint.

Jake