Using VNC (Remote control client) over broadband

Old February 13th 05, 10:59 AM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Mark Carver

Default Using VNC (Remote control client) over broadband

I've been playing with VNC remote access client between PCs on my home
network, and it works well.

http://www.realvnc.com/faq.html#internet

However, that's only with a view to installing it on a couple of friends
and family's machines to help next time they phone me with a problem.

I experimented with a friend (he's on NTL 1MB, I'm on ADSL 500k) despite
opening ports 5800 and 5900 on both of our firewalls, we could not connect.

Anyone managed to get it working, and if so is it usable over 500/250k
d/s:u/s links ?

--
Mark
Old February 13th 05, 11:44 AM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Josey

"Mark Carver"

http://www.realvnc.com/faq.html#internet

TightVNC is better in my opinion (file transfer for one thing)

http://www.tightvnc.com/

I experimented with a friend (he's on NTL 1MB, I'm on ADSL 500k) despite
opening ports 5800 and 5900 on both of our firewalls, we could not
connect.

You should be able to select what port you want to use in the software. You
have opened the firewall but don't forget you are likely to need an inbound
NAT translation rule too.

Anyone managed to get it working, and if so is it usable over 500/250k
d/s:u/s links ?

It works fine on standard 512K broadband.

Jc.

Old February 13th 05, 11:49 AM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Muxton

On Sun, 13 Feb 2005 10:59:21 +0000, Mark Carver
wrote:

I've been playing with VNC remote access client between PCs on my home
network, and it works well.

http://www.realvnc.com/faq.html#internet

However, that's only with a view to installing it on a couple of friends
and family's machines to help next time they phone me with a problem.

I experimented with a friend (he's on NTL 1MB, I'm on ADSL 500k) despite
opening ports 5800 and 5900 on both of our firewalls, we could not connect.

Anyone managed to get it working, and if so is it usable over 500/250k
d/s:u/s links ?

I used to use it on VPN over ADSL connections to a number of clients -
it works well.

You may have opened the necessary port on the VNC server side (and I'm
assuming you've set up port forwarding correctly), but are you sure
your respective ISPs aren't blocking it?

Jake

Old February 13th 05, 02:54 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Bill

Mark Carver wrote:

I've been playing with VNC remote access client between PCs on my home
network, and it works well.

http://www.realvnc.com/faq.html#internet

However, that's only with a view to installing it on a couple of friends
and family's machines to help next time they phone me with a problem.

I experimented with a friend (he's on NTL 1MB, I'm on ADSL 500k) despite
opening ports 5800 and 5900 on both of our firewalls, we could not connect.

Anyone managed to get it working, and if so is it usable over 500/250k
d/s:u/s links ?

Yes, I have connected one PC to another here out modem back in ADSL.
(easier not to deal with the unfixed IP on dial-up)

I have not done a connection via ADSL both ends, but do think it would
work from that experiment.
Bill

Old February 13th 05, 04:39 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
PJB

"Mark Carver" wrote in message
I've been playing with VNC remote access client between PCs on my home
network, and it works well.

http://www.realvnc.com/faq.html#internet

However, that's only with a view to installing it on a couple of friends
and family's machines to help next time they phone me with a problem.

I experimented with a friend (he's on NTL 1MB, I'm on ADSL 500k) despite
opening ports 5800 and 5900 on both of our firewalls, we could not

connect.

Anyone managed to get it working, and if so is it usable over 500/250k
d/s:u/s links ?

I use it from work (1Mb256Kb ADSL) to access my home pc (1.5Mb/256Kb NTL
cable) without problem.
I open ports 5900 & 5901 though, not sure if that makes any difference.

P.

Old February 13th 05, 10:38 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
David Derrick

Dave {Reply Address in.sig} wrote:
In message , Mark Carver wrote:

I've been playing with VNC remote access client between PCs on my home
network, and it works well.

http://www.realvnc.com/faq.html#internet

I prefer TightVNC personally, a very handy tool.

However, that's only with a view to installing it on a couple of friends
and family's machines to help next time they phone me with a problem.

I experimented with a friend (he's on NTL 1MB, I'm on ADSL 500k) despite
opening ports 5800 and 5900 on both of our firewalls, we could not
connect.

Have you forwarded the ports on the router if you're running a NAT
setup?

Anyone managed to get it working, and if so is it usable over 500/250k
d/s:u/s links ?

It's certainly possible to use it. The way I do it is to use ssh to
establish a secure connection to the remote site and forward the VNC ports.
Once you can do ssh you can forward pretty much anything down the secure
link.

That's the way I do it too. I'm not aware of any free VNC
implementations which are secure by default so ssh tunneling is probably
the easiest way to secure it.

Cheers,
discoveries, is not "Eureka!" (I found it!) but "That's funny ..."
-- Isaac Asimov
Old February 14th 05, 12:17 AM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Muxton

On Sun, 13 Feb 2005 22:38:20 +0000, David Derrick
wrote:

Dave {Reply Address in.sig} wrote:
In message , Mark Carver wrote:

Dave- never seen you post in here before! You working overtime or
something?

Jake

Old February 14th 05, 09:29 AM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Mark Carver

Mark Carver wrote:
I've been playing with VNC remote access client between PCs on my home
network, and it works well.

Thanks to all for your responses.

We did try opening ports 5800 and 5900-5910 in both directions, and also
port forwarding to the LAN side ip addresses of the machines, without luck.

I've got a Solwise SAR-715 router, my NTL connected friend uses Tiny
personal firewall. We'll try again this week !

--
Mark
Please replace invalid and invalid with gmx and net to reply
Old February 14th 05, 12:27 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Dan Wood

I've got a Solwise SAR-715 router, my NTL connected friend uses Tiny
personal firewall. We'll try again this week !

NTL IP's seem to change randomly, so maybe you haven't got the right IP
address for the remote machine. I've installed an IP tracking tool on my
father in law's NTL machine so that I can find him when he needs me to fix
it!

Also, NTL *sometimes* (or so it seems) use transparent HTTP proxies, so if
you're getting the IP address from a website, it is probably wrong. If you
promise not to over use this service, then you can try telnetting to
irlp.net on port 10000 to find your 'real' IP address.

HTH,
Dan.

Old February 14th 05, 06:21 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Muxton

On Mon, 14 Feb 2005 12:27:50 -0000, "Dan Wood"
wrote:

I've got a Solwise SAR-715 router, my NTL connected friend uses Tiny
personal firewall. We'll try again this week !

NTL IP's seem to change randomly, so maybe you haven't got the right IP
address for the remote machine. I've installed an IP tracking tool on my
father in law's NTL machine so that I can find him when he needs me to fix
it!

Also, NTL *sometimes* (or so it seems) use transparent HTTP proxies, so if
you're getting the IP address from a website, it is probably wrong. If you
promise not to over use this service, then you can try telnetting to
irlp.net on port 10000 to find your 'real' IP address.

HTH,
Dan.

If you do have a dynamic IP address then you can use one of the free
DNS services, such as www.no-ip.com or www.dyndns.com. I haven't used
them myself, so I can't vouch for them personally, but I've heard some
fairly good reports.

Some routers also support these services, e.g. Netgear supports
DynDNS.

Jake