Why proxy server set to 127.0.0.1?

Old February 13th 05, 12:31 PM posted to microsoft.public.windowsxp.general,microsoft.public.windows.inetexplorer.ie6.browser,uk.telecom.broadband
Steve

Default Why proxy server set to 127.0.0.1?

On Sun, 13 Feb 2005 01:46:29 +0000, Zak wrote:

I use XP+SP1. I am in the UK and I am connected to NTL broadband.

I am almost certain that I used to have no proxy sevrer set in IE6
Tools Internet Options Connections Lan Settings.

However I now see that the Use Proxy Server box is ticked and the IP
address entered is the loopback address 127.0.0.1 on port 81.

Unfortunately last time I looked windows does not allow you to see what is
listening on a port (does XPSP2? the most secure ever?)

Download this
http://www.sysinternals.com/ntw2k/source/tcpview.shtml

and see what is listening on TCP port 81.

If it is something like rundll.exe or the other easily hijacked system
process you will need to do futher investigation.

Some web sites do not like this and they have problems.

Well it is best to have only proxying of HHTP and not everything, I am
sure you can do that on windows.

I also have Zome Alarm 4.5 and also the antivirus Avast (version 4.5
home edition). Perhaps one of these two applications change the LAN
Settings?

I also use Firefox and Opera as browsers. Their own settings seem
unchanged and do not refer to a proxy server but when I try to go to the
problem web pages (eg http://www.firstdirect.com/) then they return a
message protesting about proxy servers.

I run a transparent proxy and never have problems with firstdirect.

BTW: Avoid using your home banking until you get to the bottom of this.
Old February 13th 05, 12:42 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Muxton

On Sun, 13 Feb 2005 12:31:38 +0000, steve
wrote:

Unfortunately last time I looked windows does not allow you to see what is
listening on a port (does XPSP2? the most secure ever?)

Command prompt - netstat -b

Tells you which app has opened which port.

Command prompt - netstat -a

Tells you which ports are listening.

Command prompt - netstat /? gives you the whole rundown of options.

Jake

Old February 13th 05, 04:03 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Dave J

wrote:

Unfortunately last time I looked windows does not allow you to see what is
listening on a port (does XPSP2? the most secure ever?)

Command prompt - netstat -b

Tells you which app has opened which port.

I think you'll find that's netstat -o

Command prompt - netstat -a

Tells you which ports are listening.

This can be combined with -o, so

Command prompt - netstat -a -o

lists all open ports, and gives the process identity number (PID) of the
owner of each port.

Then, to find the name, window title and username of the process, use

- tasklist /V /FI "PID eq NNNN"

where NNNN is the PID number you got from netstat.

--
Dave Johnson -
Old February 15th 05, 02:40 AM posted to microsoft.public.windowsxp.general,microsoft.public.windows.inetexplorer.ie6.browser,uk.telecom.broadband
Robert Aldwinckle

(posted from ie6.browser on msnews server (not USENET);
all crossposting left for possible propagation but I would be just as happy
to drop the USENET newsgroup if it is not needed.)

"steve" wrote in message
news
On Sun, 13 Feb 2005 01:46:29 +0000, Zak wrote:

I use XP+SP1. I am in the UK and I am connected to NTL broadband.

I am almost certain that I used to have no proxy sevrer set in IE6
Tools Internet Options Connections Lan Settings.

However I now see that the Use Proxy Server box is ticked and the IP
address entered is the loopback address 127.0.0.1 on port 81.

Unfortunately last time I looked windows does not allow you to see what is
listening on a port (does XPSP2? the most secure ever?)

Look again. eg

netstat -ao | find /i "listening"

Then use tasklist /v /fi "PID eq ..." (or Task Manager's Processes tab)

---