SDSL

Old February 13th 05, 09:25 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Beck

Default SDSL

My exchange is to be SDSL enabled on 19th June. How much is an SDSL service
likely to be?
I am happy with my 512 downstream, but really want a higher upstream
service.

Old February 13th 05, 09:41 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Beck

"Oliver Gunnell" wrote in message

"Beck" wrote in message
My exchange is to be SDSL enabled on 19th June. How much is an SDSL
service likely to be?
I am happy with my 512 downstream, but really want a higher upstream
service.

Going cheaper but still 180 per month for a 5:1 1mb line from
Freedom2surf.

Blimey, thats too steep at the moment. Shall have to wait a few years yet.

Old February 13th 05, 10:25 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
7

Oliver Gunnell wrote:

"Beck" wrote in message
My exchange is to be SDSL enabled on 19th June. How much is an SDSL
service likely to be?
I am happy with my 512 downstream, but really want a higher upstream
service.

Going cheaper but still 180 per month for a 5:1 1mb line from
Freedom2surf.

Fsck that!
Unmetered SDSL is cheaper than metered ADSL.
Those fscking bitches!!

Old February 13th 05, 11:02 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Flying Rat

In article , Beck says...
My exchange is to be SDSL enabled on 19th June. How much is an SDSL service
likely to be?
I am happy with my 512 downstream, but really want a higher upstream
service.

150 a month or more! And that's a basic service. It would be cheaper to
get a second line, have that enabled and use one of those load balancing
routers.
http://www.adslguide.org.uk/hardware...yes_cyclone200.
asp

FR
Old February 13th 05, 11:16 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
7

"Beck" wrote in message
My exchange is to be SDSL enabled on 19th June. How much is an SDSL
service likely to be?
I am happy with my 512 downstream, but really want a higher upstream
service.

Going cheaper but still 180 per month for a 5:1 1mb line from
Freedom2surf.

Blimey, thats too steep at the moment. Shall have to wait a few years
yet.

You most certainly should not have to!
They are over ****ing themselves to charge more than its worth!
I don't understand it - which planet do these idiots come from?
Unmetered SDSL is cheaper than metered ADSL!
Its about 8 pounds for 1meg link per month.

Old February 14th 05, 12:21 AM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Muxton

"Beck" wrote in message
My exchange is to be SDSL enabled on 19th June. How much is an SDSL
service likely to be?
I am happy with my 512 downstream, but really want a higher upstream
service.

Going cheaper but still 180 per month for a 5:1 1mb line from
Freedom2surf.

Blimey, thats too steep at the moment. Shall have to wait a few years
yet.

You most certainly should not have to!
They are over ****ing themselves to charge more than its worth!
I don't understand it - which planet do these idiots come from?
Unmetered SDSL is cheaper than metered ADSL!
Its about 8 pounds for 1meg link per month.

Jeez, you really are a clueless moron.

Tell you what, you set up on your own as an ISP using your rules of
economics, and I'll put a bet on at William Hill. For every you
lose I gain 2. I'll be quids in.

Jake

Old February 14th 05, 08:02 AM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Alastair

"7" wrote in message
. uk...

"Beck" wrote in message
My exchange is to be SDSL enabled on 19th June. How much is an SDSL
service likely to be?
I am happy with my 512 downstream, but really want a higher upstream
service.

Going cheaper but still 180 per month for a 5:1 1mb line from
Freedom2surf.

Blimey, thats too steep at the moment. Shall have to wait a few years
yet.

You most certainly should not have to!
They are over ****ing themselves to charge more than its worth!
I don't understand it - which planet do these idiots come from?
Unmetered SDSL is cheaper than metered ADSL!
Its about 8 pounds for 1meg link per month.

Where on earth (or other planet of your choice) do you get those
figures from?

Old February 14th 05, 09:59 AM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Paul Busby

Thus spake 7:
Fsck that!
Unmetered SDSL is cheaper than metered ADSL.
Those fscking bitches!!

It's "****". What do you do between bitching & swearing - squeeze your zits?
Well, at least I now know what your handle refers to
--
Thank people in advance? Thanking or cursing them afterwards at least
gives some feedback!

Old February 14th 05, 12:51 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
PlusNet Support Team

"Beck" wrote in message
My exchange is to be SDSL enabled on 19th June. How much is an SDSL
service likely to be?
I am happy with my 512 downstream, but really want a higher upstream
service.

Going cheaper but still 180 per month for a 5:1 1mb line from
Freedom2surf.

Blimey, thats too steep at the moment. Shall have to wait a few years
yet.

You most certainly should not have to!
They are over ****ing themselves to charge more than its worth!
I don't understand it - which planet do these idiots come from?
Unmetered SDSL is cheaper than metered ADSL!
Its about 8 pounds for 1meg link per month.

Hi,

Under Capacity Based Charging BT Wholesale charge 1621.50 per year for an
SDSL circuit at the moment. I think over time we will see this figure drop
quite considerably. So far SDSL take up isn't particularly high and
availability is quite low. As time goes by the take up will increase and
BT Wholesale have already announced further exchanges that will be enabled.
Look at ADSL, it wasn't that long ago that people were paying 40-50 for
512kbps per month, and even over 200 for 2Mbps.

With Regards,

Dave,
Old February 14th 05, 12:54 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
7

Alastair wrote:

"7" wrote in message
. uk...

"Beck" wrote in message
My exchange is to be SDSL enabled on 19th June. How much is an SDSL
service likely to be?
I am happy with my 512 downstream, but really want a higher upstream
service.

Going cheaper but still 180 per month for a 5:1 1mb line from
Freedom2surf.

Blimey, thats too steep at the moment. Shall have to wait a few years
yet.

You most certainly should not have to!
They are over ****ing themselves to charge more than its worth!
I don't understand it - which planet do these idiots come from?
Unmetered SDSL is cheaper than metered ADSL!
Its about 8 pounds for 1meg link per month.

Where on earth (or other planet of your choice) do you get those
figures from?

Those figures are old figures - its much cheaper than that now!!

Half the problem is that SDSL its too cheap - so you would have
to give out a 4mb lets say and charge 32 quid a month.
But for that price you could do 100mbit as well
switching to different technologies.

With higher speed uplinks, however the other half of the problem
steps in which is contention.
The whole purpose of ADSL is the self imposed 'contention' because
the uplink speeds are low. With SDSL you don't have that luxury.
May be then it wasn't true, but routers today
throttle bandwidth at high speed with large buffers and cheap RAM.

Consider today an office with a switch and 16 PCs. You pay retail
3 pounds for 100mbit cards, 30 quid for the switch and thus
for under 100 pounds you have 'SDSL' for 16 connection at 100mbit in your
office. If you do this with telephone lines, then in bulk
there is the price of the modem pairs to be added. About 20 quid
each end including install. The quality of the modem
severely restricts the speed from exchange.
So your 100mbit SDSL at the exchange for 16 people
is costing when you do it 10,000+ times, is averaging out
at around 800 pounds per 16 people - inclusive of a router
that does the contention. You charge 30 pounds per month
each person then you are laughing all the way to the bank!!
What final speed you give the punter is dependent on what
speeds the modems can manage - if lucky you get 8mbit and higher.
But if you are really keen, you would rip out the local
all the copper up the street and put in fiber and then either
fiber to each house or copper as its already there for the
the last few hundred yards at lower speeds.

Bring on genuine 100% LLU and we'll show the stupid fscks how its
really done!