speed reduction using netgear

Old February 14th 05, 07:47 AM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
steve church

Default speed reduction using netgear

Hi,
I visited a relation of mine yesterday who has broadband installed using a
Speedtouch 330. He was happy with this and had good download speeds. He then
wanted to network another PC and printer so installed a Netgear DG834. He is
now finding that his overall speed is down to about 25% of what it was (he
generally only has one PC downloading at a time). Has anyone experience this
phenomenon before? What kind of questions do I need to ask him to
troubleshoot the situation?

He has now gone back to the Speedtouch just to get his speeds back up.

Steve

Old February 14th 05, 08:35 AM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Andy Burns

steve church wrote:

He is
now finding that his overall speed is down to about 25% of what it was (he
generally only has one PC downloading at a time).

Is the one PC that is downloading, doing a lot of downloading, all the time?

If so then he might be filling the upstream pipe therefore preventing
ACK packets and causing re-transmissions. Look at enabling QoS on the
router and/or PCs, or limiting the download to 90% of his downstream
bandwidth (512K, 1M or 2M) and limiting the upload to 90% of 256K (which
is the same for all ADSL speeds)
Old February 14th 05, 11:43 AM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Philip Rayne

Just a thought, this probably isn't it, but it might also be worth checking
that there is no software like protowall installed against the ethernet
adapters. This would slow down the speeds via the router, but not the USB
modem (I had this problem once).

Old February 14th 05, 01:13 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
jelv

steve church wrote:
Hi,
I visited a relation of mine yesterday who has broadband installed using a
Speedtouch 330. He was happy with this and had good download speeds. He then
wanted to network another PC and printer so installed a Netgear DG834. He is
now finding that his overall speed is down to about 25% of what it was (he
generally only has one PC downloading at a time). Has anyone experience this
phenomenon before? What kind of questions do I need to ask him to
troubleshoot the situation?

He has now gone back to the Speedtouch just to get his speeds back up.

I wonder if this may be because the MTU on the router is set lower on
the Netgear than the Speedtouch. If the Netgear is using less than the
PC he will be getting packet splitting.

--
John
Old February 14th 05, 03:53 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Tiny Tim

"jelv" -o-m wrote in message
steve church wrote:
Hi,
I visited a relation of mine yesterday who has broadband installed using
a Speedtouch 330. He was happy with this and had good download speeds. He
then wanted to network another PC and printer so installed a Netgear
DG834. He is now finding that his overall speed is down to about 25% of
what it was (he generally only has one PC downloading at a time). Has
anyone experience this phenomenon before? What kind of questions do I
need to ask him to troubleshoot the situation?

He has now gone back to the Speedtouch just to get his speeds back up.

I wonder if this may be because the MTU on the router is set lower on the
Netgear than the Speedtouch. If the Netgear is using less than the PC he
will be getting packet splitting.

I was wondering if it might be something like that. My DG834G seems to work
just fine with MTU=1458. It might also be worth checking that the latest
firmware has been installed on the router.

Old February 15th 05, 02:52 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
steve church

Thanks for that . I'll pass that on . Where will the MTU (?) settings be.
I've got a Speedtouch 330 and I can find no reference to this value, only
something called SDU which is about as close as I can find.

Old February 15th 05, 03:16 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
jelv

steve church wrote:
Thanks for that . I'll pass that on . Where will the MTU (?) settings be.
I've got a Speedtouch 330 and I can find no reference to this value, only
something called SDU which is about as close as I can find.

On the DG834 it's on the WAN Setup page called MTU Size (now there's a
surprise!).

--
John
Old February 15th 05, 06:03 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
steve church

Thanks, I'll pass that on. I don't have access to this guys computer (he's
150 miles away) so I don't have knowledge of the Netgear setup pages