Lenght of extentions Off main BT socket

Old February 14th 05, 12:14 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Dylan30

Default Lenght of extentions Off main BT socket

Hi everyone,

I am making the move from cable to ADSL. My main phone socket is not really
in the right place to have my router etc.
I will need to use a "DIY" extension. Will I just use a normal extension kit
and then stick a filter in the end. ? What length can the cable be without
effecting line quality ?

Many thanks

Adam

Old February 14th 05, 12:32 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Conor

In article , Dylan30 says...
Hi everyone,

I am making the move from cable to ADSL. My main phone socket is not really
in the right place to have my router etc.
I will need to use a "DIY" extension. Will I just use a normal extension kit
and then stick a filter in the end. ? What length can the cable be without
effecting line quality ?

I've used a 50ft one without any problem.

--
Conor

-- George Patton
Old February 14th 05, 01:02 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
PlusNet Support Team

On Mon, 14 Feb 2005 12:14:39 GMT, Dylan30 wrote:

Hi everyone,

I am making the move from cable to ADSL. My main phone socket is not
really
in the right place to have my router etc.
I will need to use a "DIY" extension. Will I just use a normal extension
kit
and then stick a filter in the end. ? What length can the cable be
without
effecting line quality ?

Many thanks

Adam

Hi Adam,

So long as you have good quality cable and have everything properly
filtered then BT Wholesale say anything up to about 30m should be fine.
I've seen longer than this too, I remember speaking to one customer who
ran an extension to his shed.

You might find the following useful for setting up the wiring/filters.

http://usertools.plus.net/tutorials/id/13

With Regards,

Dave,
Old February 14th 05, 01:04 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Tom

"Paul D.Smith" wrote in message
. net...
Firstly, make sure you use Cat5 or similar twisted pair and not the crappy
"flat" wire.

You don't need CAT5 for an ADSL extension. ADSL runs quite happily on plain
old vanilla 'flat wire'. You could use CAT5 but it's a bit of overkill for
the purpose. I have a 50 foot 'flat wire' extension and I still get 8Mbps
acheiveable on a 2Mbps DSL line. ADSL is supposed to run on POTS after all.

Old February 14th 05, 01:46 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Paul D.Smith

"Tom" [email protected] wrote in message

"Paul D.Smith" wrote in message
. net...
Firstly, make sure you use Cat5 or similar twisted pair and not the

crappy
"flat" wire.

Lucky you. BT uses twisted pair which I seem to remember is something like
CW1803, but that's hard to get hold of. Everything I've read whilst
researching this indicated to use twisted pair and especially for long runs.
Cat5 in bulk is often as cheap as the alternatives.

I know that twisted pair is less prone to interference so perhaps your house
is quite "clean". Mine is sufficiently not that I can even pick up Capital
Radio on my telephone!

Paul DS

Old February 14th 05, 02:13 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Tom

[...]

The chances are that a vanilla phone extension lead will be better quality
than the 30 year old UG cables from the exchange to your house. CAT5 is
great is you have it but completely unnecessary for ADSL. It's like running
fibre for a 10Mbps LAN.

Old February 14th 05, 04:02 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
The Simpsons

[...]

Underground cables are screened from interfearence by being underground but
this is not so with cables in the house, use the best cable to minimise
potential problems.

Fred S

Old February 14th 05, 04:30 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Dylan30

Default THANKS FOR ALL YOUR HELP Lenght of extentions Off main BT socket

Thanks for all your help everyone.

Adam

Old February 14th 05, 04:59 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Mike GW8IJT

"Dylan30" wrote in message
Hi everyone,

I am making the move from cable to ADSL. My main phone socket is not

really
in the right place to have my router etc.
I will need to use a "DIY" extension. Will I just use a normal

extension kit
and then stick a filter in the end. ? What length can the cable be

without
effecting line quality ?

Many thanks

Adam

I can't remember where I got it from but I think that it's about 400
yards.
Regards Mike.

Old February 14th 05, 05:01 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Tom

"The Simpsons" wrote in message

[...]

Not always. At junctions and in particular on the telegraph poles they are
often open to the elements. I work for a telco and many DSL faults are
cleared by changing UG's or drop leads from poles. I'm just saying that
because of the copper that your POTS line is delivered on, CAT5 inside the
house is overkill and you don't NEED it for a DSL extention.