Best Wifi providers in London? Especially NW2 area

Old February 14th 05, 04:35 PM posted to uk.comp.sys.laptops,uk.telecom,uk.telecom.broadband,alt.internet.providers.uk
Michael

Default Best Wifi providers in London? Especially NW2 area

I was thinking of subscribing to BTOpenzone, especially the 25GBP for 4000
minutes a month plan.

Anyone tried their service before?

The nearest BTOpenzone WIFI spot for me is the Mcdonald's Restaurant at
136-140 Cricklewood Broadway London NW2 3EET.

Are there any other cheaper [i.e. hopefully free ] alternative wifi
providers around that area?

Any comments are appreciated!

Old February 14th 05, 09:46 PM posted to uk.comp.sys.laptops,uk.telecom,uk.telecom.broadband,alt.internet.providers.uk
Stuart Friedman

My best friend uses T-Mobile USA's account in the UK. Free roaming on BT
Openzones and T-Mobile UK sites. US$21 a month. If you can get the
account, it is a great deal.

Stu

Old February 15th 05, 01:56 AM posted to uk.comp.sys.laptops,uk.telecom,uk.telecom.broadband,alt.internet.providers.uk
chancellor of the duchy of besses o' th' barn

Stuart Friedman wrote:

My best friend uses T-Mobile USA's account in the UK. Free roaming on BT
Openzones and T-Mobile UK sites. US$21 a month. If you can get the
account, it is a great deal.

So, around 11 for free roaming on BT and T-mobile? That's an amazing
deal. Maybe I should get my partner's mother to sign up?

--
David Horne- www.davidhorne.net
Old February 15th 05, 02:53 AM posted to uk.comp.sys.laptops,uk.telecom,uk.telecom.broadband,alt.internet.providers.uk
JHEM

chancellor of the duchy of besses o' th' barn wrote:

So, around 11 for free roaming on BT and T-mobile? That's an amazing
deal. Maybe I should get my partner's mother to sign up?

Consider it. I've got T-Mobile for access when I'm on the road here in the
US and was very pleasantly surprised with how many partners they have and
how many places I could get access with it in the UK and on the continent.

https://selfcare.hotspot.t-mobile.co...ationDomain.do

Regards,

James

Old February 15th 05, 07:57 AM posted to uk.comp.sys.laptops,uk.telecom,uk.telecom.broadband,alt.internet.providers.uk
Michael

"Stuart Friedman" wrote ..
My best friend uses T-Mobile USA's account in the UK. Free roaming on BT
Openzones and T-Mobile UK sites. US$21 a month.

Hi Stuart, Thanks for the Tip!

The following link
https://selfcare.hotspot.t-mobile.co...ationId=BT0822
indicates that I can use the same T-Mobile Link at the Macdonald's
restaurant.

With Uncle Sam's currency weakening against the British Pound, it is truly
worth it!

However, the plan is now US$30 per month for unlimited access.

Old February 15th 05, 08:07 AM posted to uk.comp.sys.laptops,uk.telecom,uk.telecom.broadband,alt.internet.providers.uk
Michael

"JHEM" wrote in message
news:[email protected]
chancellor of the duchy of besses o' th' barn wrote:

Consider it. I've got T-Mobile for access when I'm on the road here in the
US and was very pleasantly surprised with how many partners they have and
how many places I could get access with it in the UK and on the continent.

James, ontop of your monthly subscription, do you have to pay any extra
charges for using BTOpenzone hotspots in the UK?

Old February 15th 05, 01:19 PM posted to uk.comp.sys.laptops,uk.telecom,uk.telecom.broadband,alt.internet.providers.uk
Stuart Friedman

No, roaming is included.

Stu

"Michael" wrote in message

news:[email protected]

Old February 15th 05, 01:52 PM posted to uk.comp.sys.laptops,uk.telecom,uk.telecom.broadband,alt.internet.providers.uk
Michael

"Stuart Friedman" wrote in message
ink.net...
No, roaming is included.

After rummaging thro' the T-Mobile USA website, I managed to find out about
the "roaming" issue at
http://www.t-mobile.com/hotspot/roaming_info.htm

T-Mobile USA claims that "For a limited time, there is no additional charge
for roaming", and this includes many countries such as UK, Malaysia, Japan,
Singapore, Germany...etc.

For the time being, taking into account the exchange rate, this is a much
better deal that BTOpenzone by BT.

H/W, I've sent them an e-mail to find out how long that "limited time"
period is gonna last.

As I'll be using WiFI primarily in the UK, I may end up paying more when the
"limited time" period expires and have to pay extra per minute charges.

Cheers!

Michael.

Old February 15th 05, 05:39 PM posted to uk.comp.sys.laptops,uk.telecom,uk.telecom.broadband,alt.internet.providers.uk
Chris Watts

"Michael" wrote in message
snip
T-Mobile USA claims that "For a limited time, there is no additional

charge
for roaming",

snip
H/W, I've sent them an e-mail to find out how long that "limited time"
period is gonna last.

My experience with T-mobile, here in the UK at least, has been that they
wait until they have your money then hike the rate. I don't trust them and
would never, out of choice, use them.

Chris

Old February 15th 05, 08:09 PM posted to uk.comp.sys.laptops,uk.telecom,uk.telecom.broadband,alt.internet.providers.uk
Stuart Friedman

On the US plan, you can go month to month. If they raise the rates or
terminate, vote with your feet. You pay a couple of quid more for that
privilege, but there is a value to flexibility. They have far less hold on
you than the mobile provider. You have nothing to port out and you don't
get your equipment from them.

Stu
"Chris Watts" wrote in message

snip