BT- con their customers AGAIN ! PI55 takers !!

Old February 14th 05, 07:52 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
six-toes

Default BT- con their customers AGAIN ! PI55 takers !!

BT 2 meg punters hacked off
By Tim Richardson
Published Monday 14th February 2005 16:35 GMT

BT has received a verbal kicking from punters following last week's
announcement that it will up the speed of its retail broadband services
to 2Mbps for all but its 'basic" services.

While plenty of customers will be happy to see the speed of their
service accelerated up to 2 meg, a number of BT Broadband users have
spotted a downside to the announcement.

The problem, it seems, is that while those punters currently
subscribing to the frill-less BT Broadband 1 meg service will see the
speed double and the cost fall by four quid a month to 24.99, they
will also see their monthly usage limit halved to 15 gig.

Register readers have been quick to point out the sleight of hand.
Wrote one bemused reader: "Have you noticed BT are increasing the
downspeed to 2 meg they are halving the monthly transfer cap to 15 gig?
There is no option to opt out of this and cancelling the contract will
'incur penalties'. Not that there's ever an option with BT."

Another writes: "I was a happy man this morning as I saw a BT envelope
lying on my doormat - excellent info about the new free 2 meg upgrade.
Even better they're reducing the cost to 24.99. What a lovely company
- 'more for less'."

That was before he read the bit about halving the usage allowance.
"Hang on, my current 1 meg line from BT gives me a lovely 30 Gig a
month. Are BT paying for their upgrades by halving the download limits
of its customers? Now I can get half as much twice as fast."

What of those households with multiple broadband users, he asks. "Since
many of us live in houses with one or two more active net users, 30 gig
a month starts to dwindle fairly fast and at a new 15 gig limit, a
house of just two active users gets chopped down to 250 meg a day."

And this from a company that boasts that "BT is about giving value for

Old February 14th 05, 10:19 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Beck

"six-toes" wrote in message
ups.com...
BT 2 meg punters hacked off
By Tim Richardson
Published Monday 14th February 2005 16:35 GMT

Register have got it wrong. Apparently, the only people who have 15gb are
those that are currently on 15gb. Those that are on 30gb will retain the
same limit. Nothing will change from the current setup except for the
speed.

Old February 14th 05, 10:26 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Beck

"Beck" wrote in message

"six-toes" wrote in message
ups.com...
BT 2 meg punters hacked off
By Tim Richardson
Published Monday 14th February 2005 16:35 GMT

Register have got it wrong. Apparently, the only people who have 15gb are
those that are currently on 15gb. Those that are on 30gb will retain the
same limit. Nothing will change from the current setup except for the
speed.

No I got it wrong, sorry. They are talking about BT broadband, not the BT
yahpoo