cannot connect to certain sites

Old February 14th 05, 10:46 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
derekj

Default cannot connect to certain sites

im having trouble connecting to a few sites on one computer on my lan,
where on others i can fine.

i have checked my ip address, default gateway, subnet - all the same
apart from ip address.
also cleared cache, history, reset router, entered the ip address
directly in the browser, changed dns server address supplied by isp,
and plugged the cable into another port in the router.

no firewall attached and using xp.

i have changed my ip address to others on my lan and it still doesnt
work. i could connect briefly for about 2 hours on sunday but now its
back to what it was early on sunday.
Old February 14th 05, 11:51 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Colin Wilson

im having trouble connecting to a few sites on one computer on my lan,
where on others i can fine snip

I can`t see how, but is there any chance they might be in the hosts file
so they loop back ?

Old February 14th 05, 11:55 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Anton G˙sen

derekj wrote:

im having trouble connecting to a few sites on one computer on my lan,
where on others i can fine.

i have checked my ip address, default gateway, subnet - all the same
apart from ip address.
also cleared cache, history, reset router, entered the ip address
directly in the browser, changed dns server address supplied by isp,
and plugged the cable into another port in the router.

no firewall attached and using xp.

i have changed my ip address to others on my lan and it still doesnt
work. i could connect briefly for about 2 hours on sunday but now its
back to what it was early on sunday.

Try flushing the DNS cache.

Go to Start - Run and type in "ipconfig /flushdns" (without quotes,
obviously).

It's worked for me on more than one occasion when I haven't been able to
connect to a website.

HTH,
Anton
Old February 15th 05, 01:12 AM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Paul King

Anton G˙sen wrote:

Try flushing the DNS cache.

Go to Start - Run and type in "ipconfig /flushdns" (without quotes,
obviously).

It's worked for me on more than one occasion when I haven't been able
to connect to a website.

HTH,
Anton

Which operating system are you using? - doesn't work with my version of XP
with SP2

Old February 15th 05, 04:03 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
derekj

"Paul King" wrote in message news:[email protected] teranews...
Anton G˙sen wrote:

Try flushing the DNS cache.

Go to Start - Run and type in "ipconfig /flushdns" (without quotes,
obviously).

It's worked for me on more than one occasion when I haven't been able
to connect to a website.

HTH,
Anton

thanks but that hasnt worked. i'll contact my isp. i thought i had
missed something in my tests for finding the fault, hoping that others
have had the same problem, otherwise its my equipment.
Old February 15th 05, 04:11 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
PlusNet Support Team

On 14 Feb 2005 14:46:57 -0800, derekj wrote:

im having trouble connecting to a few sites on one computer on my lan,
where on others i can fine.

i have checked my ip address, default gateway, subnet - all the same
apart from ip address.
also cleared cache, history, reset router, entered the ip address
directly in the browser, changed dns server address supplied by isp,
and plugged the cable into another port in the router.

no firewall attached and using xp.

i have changed my ip address to others on my lan and it still doesnt
work. i could connect briefly for about 2 hours on sunday but now its
back to what it was early on sunday.

Hi,

I've seen similar problems over the last year or two. In a lot of cases
it's down to MTU/RWIN, try changing the MTU to 1430, and RWIN to 13900,
rebooting the PC and the trying again.

With Regards,

Dave,
Old February 15th 05, 05:30 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
derekj

PlusNet Support Team wrote:
On 14 Feb 2005 14:46:57 -0800, derekj wrote:

im having trouble connecting to a few sites on one computer on my

lan,
where on others i can fine.

i have checked my ip address, default gateway, subnet - all the

same
apart from ip address.
also cleared cache, history, reset router, entered the ip address
directly in the browser, changed dns server address supplied by

isp,
and plugged the cable into another port in the router.

no firewall attached and using xp.

i have changed my ip address to others on my lan and it still

doesnt
work. i could connect briefly for about 2 hours on sunday but now

its
back to what it was early on sunday.

Hi,

I've seen similar problems over the last year or two. In a lot of

cases
it's down to MTU/RWIN, try changing the MTU to 1430, and RWIN to

13900,
rebooting the PC and the trying again.

With Regards,

Dave,
| Customer Support for Home & Business
| PlusNet plc @ http://www.plus.net

yes thats fixed it. downloaded DRTCP and set MTU to 1478 and a few
other settings, rebooted and now it works fine. Thanks a lot.