ADSL modem/router recommendations

Old February 15th 05, 12:17 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Geoff

Default ADSL modem/router recommendations

Anyone here care to recommend a modem/router that does the following :

NAT
Mapping of public IP addresses onto private ones, in or out of a DMZ
Simple firewall
Allows PPTP etc VPN traffic

I need one to use on a network where with my previous router I ran a
publicly accessible ftp (on 2 different machines), and a web and mail
host. Machines not mapped specifically to a public IP simply took a
private IP address generated by NAT.

There seem to be a bewildering number of devices from £50 up to several
hundred, and any advice or pointers to relevant web pages would be most
helpful.

Thanks in advance.
Old February 15th 05, 12:26 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Conor

In article , Geoff says...
Anyone here care to recommend a modem/router that does the following :

NAT
Mapping of public IP addresses onto private ones, in or out of a DMZ
Simple firewall
Allows PPTP etc VPN traffic

I need one to use on a network where with my previous router I ran a
publicly accessible ftp (on 2 different machines), and a web and mail
host. Machines not mapped specifically to a public IP simply took a
private IP address generated by NAT.

There seem to be a bewildering number of devices from £50 up to several
hundred, and any advice or pointers to relevant web pages would be most
helpful.

Thanks in advance.

D-Link, Belkin and Netgear do this.

--
Conor

-- George Patton
Old February 15th 05, 12:32 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Geoff

Conor wrote:
In article , Geoff says...

Anyone here care to recommend a modem/router that does the following :

NAT
Mapping of public IP addresses onto private ones, in or out of a DMZ
Simple firewall
Allows PPTP etc VPN traffic

I need one to use on a network where with my previous router I ran a
publicly accessible ftp (on 2 different machines), and a web and mail
host. Machines not mapped specifically to a public IP simply took a
private IP address generated by NAT.

There seem to be a bewildering number of devices from £50 up to several
hundred, and any advice or pointers to relevant web pages would be most
helpful.

Thanks in advance.

D-Link, Belkin and Netgear do this.

Thanks..

Any particular models ?

Old February 15th 05, 01:10 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Geoff

Conor wrote:
In article , Geoff says...

Anyone here care to recommend a modem/router that does the following :

NAT
Mapping of public IP addresses onto private ones, in or out of a DMZ
Simple firewall
Allows PPTP etc VPN traffic

I need one to use on a network where with my previous router I ran a
publicly accessible ftp (on 2 different machines), and a web and mail
host. Machines not mapped specifically to a public IP simply took a
private IP address generated by NAT.

There seem to be a bewildering number of devices from £50 up to several
hundred, and any advice or pointers to relevant web pages would be most
helpful.

Thanks in advance.

D-Link, Belkin and Netgear do this.

Would the Netgear NG DG834UK allow all this ? It doesn't specifically
state that it allows mapping public / private and NAT at the same time.
Is this an unusual requirement - my old Efficient 5861 was quite happy
doing that and that wasn't the height of modern technology.
Old February 16th 05, 12:44 AM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Martin²

I think you may need something more robust and reliable then the ususal
consumer brands.
Check out the Draytek Vigor 2600 range, it's 'office grade', kit but still
affordable, unlike Cisco.
Regards,
Martin

Old February 16th 05, 12:01 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Geoff

Martin² wrote:
I think you may need something more robust and reliable then the ususal
consumer brands.
Check out the Draytek Vigor 2600 range, it's 'office grade', kit but still
affordable, unlike Cisco.

I was thinking of that too.. Not too far over a ton (don't need wireless
as already have 54g access point) and presumably good support if needed ?
Any particular variant of the 2600 recommended bearing in mind the above.

Thanks for the advice so far, BTW.

Geoff
Old February 16th 05, 02:03 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Geoff

Just to say thanks for the advice on and off line.

I found that the Solwise 715, just about did what I wanted, but is EOL.
The newer 840V was supposed to do what I wanted, but was a little vague.

But the Draytek Vigor 2600xxxx series seemed to do exactly what I wanted
and more, so I bit the bullet and ordered one of those - price not too
painful either.

Will report back here when it's up and running on ease of config in case
anyone's interested.

Geoff
Old February 18th 05, 12:52 AM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Martin²

Geoff,
I would suggest the 2600V, the VoIP sockets will pay for themselves in cheap
calls.
Regards,
Martin