Netgear DG834G problems

Old February 15th 05, 01:04 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Danny

Default Netgear DG834G problems

Hi,

I'm not sure if this is the right NG to be asking this (not sure if it's a
'technical help' type of place!!) but maybe someone has had some experience
with this problem... anyway, here it is:

a few days ago my DG834G router stopped accessing the internet, both
wirelessly and normal wires, but the local network was still accessible!
However, the next day everything had stopped working, the router was
displaying all 4 ethernet port lights as being 'on' or plugged in (when
there was only 1) and the adsl 'i' light was on but yellow! All other lights
are off.... the 'power' light and the 'tick' light! Powering on/off the
device doesn't change this at all... it is effectively dead, and doesn't
even register as being plugged into my pc via the ethernet cable, as my
local area connection icon has a red cross through it now. Has anyone had or
heard of this problem and knows a solution?! As I really don't want to be
forking out for a replacement right now!!

Thanks in advance!

Danny

Old February 15th 05, 01:17 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Peter R Cook

In message , Danny
writes
[...]

Try a factory reset - push the switch behind the small hole on the back
for 30 sec, then release.

If that doesn't work I suspect you are going to have to call Netgear for
a replacement. Is it still under warranty. My 834G came with a 2 year
warranty.

Regards
--
Peter R Cook
Old February 15th 05, 01:22 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Tiny Tim

"Danny" wrote in message
[...]

I've had my DG834G for over 13 months and not seen anything like that. Is
yours outside warranty? Have you tried a hard reset - power the thing up and
then stick a paper clip or something similar in the little hole in the back
of the thing. Keep it pressed in for up to 30 seconds until you see
(hopefully) signs of it rebooting. A quick press in the hole is not enough.

If that doesn't fix it then I guess it's replace or repair. At least these
things are getting cheaper now than a year ago.

Old February 15th 05, 01:36 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
7

Danny wrote:

[...]

The possibility is that lightening strike somewhere in
the distance has fried your router. Like modems frying
frequently, its not uncommon to fry your routers.

You might be able to do a bios reset. There should be a switch
somewhere at the back and you keep that pressed on as you switch the
device on for about 5 seconds until the lights flash then let go
of that switch and it does its bios reset.

Old February 15th 05, 02:02 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Danny

"Peter R Cook" wrote in message
[...]

Yeah, I tried that.... nothing! Looks like it's gonna be a call to Netgear!
The box says it has a 2 year warranty... but I can't find all the manuals
and leaflets that came with it! Fingers crossed they'll still replace it
though.

Thanks for the reply.

(sorry, just realised I replied to your email address first time!)

Danny

Old February 15th 05, 07:28 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband

"7" wrote in message
. uk...
Danny wrote:

[...]

Worth trying the DG834G firmware recovery utility from Netgear's site...if
you can get access to the internet somehow......

Old February 15th 05, 07:39 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Gareth

"M" wrote in message

"7" wrote in message
. uk...
Danny wrote:

[...]

Yes, this is definitely worth trying especially when you consider that
Netgear CS can be a world of pain and delay!

But then again the recovery utility emphasises that it is only to be used
when a firmware upgrade fails. Not much to lose I suppose except to try
another modem before assuming that the DG834G is at fault. In fact that's
probably the best course of action before messing with the recovery utility.

Gareth.

Old February 15th 05, 11:37 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Ian Stirling

7 wrote:
Danny wrote:

Hi,

I'm not sure if this is the right NG to be asking this (not sure if it's a
'technical help' type of place!!) but maybe someone has had some
experience with this problem... anyway, here it is:

a few days ago my DG834G router stopped accessing the internet, both
wirelessly and normal wires, but the local network was still accessible!
However, the next day everything had stopped working, the router was

The possibility is that lightening strike somewhere in
the distance has fried your router. Like modems frying
frequently, its not uncommon to fry your routers.

The quick and easy diagnostic is to weigh the modem.
Old February 16th 05, 08:51 AM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
silangdon

The possibility is that lightening strike somewhere in
the distance has fried your router. Like modems frying
frequently, its not uncommon to fry your routers.

I'd forgotten about that... with a cheap modem it almost doesn't
matter.

Any idea where one can get telephone line surge protectors?

Old February 17th 05, 08:47 AM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Paul D.Smith

http://www.clarity.it for one.