PlusNet Fair Usage for 29.99 month accounts

Old February 15th 05, 09:03 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
BIGEYE

Default PlusNet Fair Usage for 29.99 month accounts

"N/A" wrote in message
. ..
PlusNet recently invited their members to pick their own poison as far as
introducing a "Fair Usage" scheme. For my current Premiere "Uncapped"
account which costs me 29.99 the survey form gave the choice of 60
GB/month
up to 120 GB/month. I assumed that Plusnet would introduce a cappped level
nearer the bottom of the range, but they've actually introduced the cap
below 60 GB.

Plusnet have today announced their Fair Use scheme and the levels don't
even
come up to the minimum allowance that they proposed in the customer
survey.
Rather than the 60 GB/month allowance which was the minimum level in the
survey, Plusnet are infact going to start capping my 29.99 account at 50
GB/month.

All of the other accounts are the same. They are all going to be capped at
levels below the minimums proposed in the customer survey and Plusnet have
done this by changing the accounts from being speed related to being
download related.

--
Not Available

.................................................. ..............

Glad I migrated two weeks ago.
For interest when will the capping be introduced?

Old February 15th 05, 10:58 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
wooosh

"Flim Flomton" wrote in message
news
On Tue, 15 Feb 2005 21:03:58 +0000, BIGEYE wrote:

"N/A" wrote in message
. ..
PlusNet recently invited their members to pick their own poison as far
as
introducing a "Fair Usage" scheme. For my current Premiere "Uncapped"
account which costs me 29.99 the survey form gave the choice of 60
GB/month
up to 120 GB/month. I assumed that Plusnet would introduce a cappped
level
nearer the bottom of the range, but they've actually introduced the cap
below 60 GB.

I'm happy. 8Mbit connection with a 50gig soft cap for the same price I pay
for 1Mbit with no cap.

(BT Exchange 50m away)

Old February 23rd 05, 06:07 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
narcissu

On Tue, 15 Feb 2005 21:39:24 +0000, Flim Flomton
wrote:

On Tue, 15 Feb 2005 21:03:58 +0000, BIGEYE wrote:

"N/A" wrote in message
. ..
[...]

The accounts are not capped as such, you need to go above your usage level
for three months in a row and on the third month, once exceeding your
usage allowance, your speed is restricted to 128kbit/s.

They are also upgrading the connections (for free) to the fastest that the
line can support, and you're allowed and additional 230GB/month between
the hours of 1am and 8am - that's basically saturating a 2Mbit/s line for
7 hours per day for the entire month...

I think it's a good solution, plus.net are a business, the have to stay
profitable. It shouldn't come as a suprise to anyone that this happened,
with people downloading huge, huge amounts and a rough cost to force9 of
1/gig for you using the connection, they were loosing money on
customers. This is not a sustainable situation for a business.

To me this seems utter tosh - with contention the b/w is fixed, heavy
users would see the speed fall. The b/w is fixed per batch of 30 or so
customers - whether all that DSlam b/w is used or never used makes sod
all difference. This is all lies to get heavy users to pay more -
nothing else. That's the whole point of contention - people using it
all the time, and so share that b/w with other users from time to
time, see's slow down's for everyone on that contention share - this
rarely happens. If it did, so what, unless the light users saw there
speed fall, which would hit the heavy users first - which in most
cases it does'nt.

Many BB ISP's got together and have seen a way to charge heavy users
more by coming out with utter lies and bull****. Yes Plusnet, you are
a business, but since the b/w at the 'fat pipe' end is payed for (or
should be payed for) per batch of contended users - how much that is
used can be unfair on some if contention hits (rare indeed if never
for most users) - but there should be no extra cost as that DSLam b/w
is fixed.

Good job Plus.net!

Glad I migrated two weeks ago.
For interest when will the capping be introduced?

The Fair Usage policy -- and the free speed upgrade -- will come into
affect in April. Read all about it...

http://www.force9.net/features/usage_guide.shtml