Plusnet - have I got this right?

Old February 15th 05, 09:36 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Michael Rodgers

Default Plusnet - have I got this right?

Just been reading through all the stuff about PN and to say its confusing is
an understatement.

I understand the caps etc, but are they speed increasing as well?

I currently pay 21.99 a month for 512k Premier. I've had it for 6 months
and according to view my usage the most I've ever downloaded in a month is
13Gb. So, the new 30Gb cap isn't an issue to me - even less so becuase
everything downloaded between 01:00 and 08:00 doesnt count - and thats when
I set my downloads anyway.

Do this mean I'll suddenly end up with the fastest speed my line supports,
albiet with a 30Gb a month cap, for the same monthly fee?

I suspect this won't make any difference anyway as I doubt my line supports
more than 512k, but the prospect of a free upgrade sounds nice.

Old February 15th 05, 10:25 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Josey

"Michael Rodgers" wrote in message

Do this mean I'll suddenly end up with the fastest speed my line supports,
albiet with a 30Gb a month cap, for the same monthly fee?

Yes. And it's 30GB in peak time, you get another 200GB+ in the quieter
nightime window.

Great if you can get a free increase, not so great if you can't.

Jc.

Old February 16th 05, 01:04 AM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Alex Heney

On Tue, 15 Feb 2005 21:36:43 -0000, "Michael Rodgers"
wrote:

Just been reading through all the stuff about PN and to say its confusing is
an understatement.

I understand the caps etc, but are they speed increasing as well?

I currently pay 21.99 a month for 512k Premier. I've had it for 6 months
and according to view my usage the most I've ever downloaded in a month is
13Gb. So, the new 30Gb cap isn't an issue to me - even less so becuase
everything downloaded between 01:00 and 08:00 doesnt count - and thats when
I set my downloads anyway.

Do this mean I'll suddenly end up with the fastest speed my line supports,
albiet with a 30Gb a month cap, for the same monthly fee?

Yes,. although AIUI, you have to request the higher speed (via the
Plusnet portal).

--
Alex Heney, Global Villager
Q: Why do blondes hate M&Ms? A: They're too hard to peel.

Old February 16th 05, 02:51 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
PlusNet Support Team

wrote:

[...]

Hi,

Yep, we will be upgrading all our customers to MaxDSL in April. This will
allow customers' lines to sync up at the maximum speed they can support.
Initially this will allow up to 2Mbps and later 4 and 8Mbps.
Once the regrade programme is complete there will be an interface on the
portal where you can select the speed you want to connect at.
The line limits have changed in the last few months so you may be able to
get faster than 512kbps, I think it was September last year, so if you've
had 512kbps longer than that then you should be able to get 1Mbps at least.

With Regards,

Dave,
Old February 16th 05, 06:04 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Flying Rat

In article , PlusNet Support
Team says...
Yep, we will be upgrading all our customers to MaxDSL in April. This will
allow customers' lines to sync up at the maximum speed they can support.
Initially this will allow up to 2Mbps and later 4 and 8Mbps.
Once the regrade programme is complete there will be an interface on the
portal where you can select the speed you want to connect at.

I wonder if Eclipse copyrighted their Flex system......?

FR
Old February 17th 05, 12:56 AM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Michael Rodgers

"PlusNet Support Team" wrote in message
news
The line limits have changed in the last few months so you may be able to
get faster than 512kbps, I think it was September last year, so if you've
had 512kbps longer than that then you should be able to get 1Mbps at
least.

I finally managed to get DSL as a result of the limit change in September.
My router claims my line loss is 64db.

Which I guess means I'm stuffed then? Oh well.

Old February 17th 05, 07:39 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Peter M

On 16 Feb 2005, in uk.telecom.broadband, Flying Rat wrote:

PlusNet Support Team says...

Once the regrade programme is complete there will be an interface on the
portal where you can select the speed you want to connect at.

I wonder if Eclipse copyrighted their Flex system......?

Who cares ? The Plus.Net method won't have a specific charge associated with
higher speed, whereas the Eclipse Flex system does, so apples + oranges :-)

--
Try a commercial news service - from 50 MB/day (once-only fee of $4.95)
up to 1500 MB/day for 6 months $99.95, 600 GB over 6 months $149.75