Broadband - technical possibilities of odd speeds.

Old February 15th 05, 11:35 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Ian Stirling

Default Broadband - technical possibilities of odd speeds.

Is there anything in the modem at my end, or the exchange that stops
it being able to negotiate for a speed of 768K, 1278K, ...?
Basically if my line won't support 2Mb, is there a reason why it wouldn't
work at 1.5, or 1.75?
Old February 16th 05, 12:03 AM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
P H

"Ian Stirling" wrote in message
Is there anything in the modem at my end, or the exchange that stops
it being able to negotiate for a speed of 768K, 1278K, ...?
Basically if my line won't support 2Mb, is there a reason why it wouldn't
work at 1.5, or 1.75?

Yes, The speed is controlled by the exchange DSLAM equipment. You have no
control over it.

Phill

Old February 16th 05, 12:06 AM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Muxton

On 15 Feb 2005 23:35:55 GMT, Ian Stirling
wrote:

Is there anything in the modem at my end, or the exchange that stops
it being able to negotiate for a speed of 768K, 1278K, ...?
Basically if my line won't support 2Mb, is there a reason why it wouldn't
work at 1.5, or 1.75?

Well, that *was* the basis for RADSL (Rate Adaptive DSL) - negotiate
the best speed based on the physical line limitations.

Don't know how far that got in the UK.

Jake

Old February 16th 05, 12:09 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Ian Stirling

P H wrote:

"Ian Stirling" wrote in message
Is there anything in the modem at my end, or the exchange that stops
it being able to negotiate for a speed of 768K, 1278K, ...?
Basically if my line won't support 2Mb, is there a reason why it wouldn't
work at 1.5, or 1.75?

Yes, The speed is controlled by the exchange DSLAM equipment. You have no
control over it.

So, might this be a cure for some of us with intermittent lines - they'd
just renegotiate back to 256K/... ?
Old February 16th 05, 12:13 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
phantom

Is there anything in the modem at my end, or the exchange that stops
it being able to negotiate for a speed of 768K, 1278K, ...?
Basically if my line won't support 2Mb, is there a reason why it wouldn't
work at 1.5, or 1.75?

Well, that *was* the basis for RADSL (Rate Adaptive DSL) - negotiate
the best speed based on the physical line limitations.

Not quite - IIRC RADSL only adapts the upload speed.

Old February 16th 05, 05:52 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Muxton

On Wed, 16 Feb 2005 12:13:34 GMT, "phantom"
wrote:

Is there anything in the modem at my end, or the exchange that stops
it being able to negotiate for a speed of 768K, 1278K, ...?
Basically if my line won't support 2Mb, is there a reason why it wouldn't
work at 1.5, or 1.75?

Well, that *was* the basis for RADSL (Rate Adaptive DSL) - negotiate
the best speed based on the physical line limitations.

Not quite - IIRC RADSL only adapts the upload speed.

Was it? My memory's hazy.

Old February 18th 05, 12:13 AM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
P H

P H wrote:

"Ian Stirling" wrote in message
Is there anything in the modem at my end, or the exchange that stops
it being able to negotiate for a speed of 768K, 1278K, ...?
Basically if my line won't support 2Mb, is there a reason why it
wouldn't
work at 1.5, or 1.75?

Yes, The speed is controlled by the exchange DSLAM equipment. You have no
control over it.

So, might this be a cure for some of us with intermittent lines - they'd
just renegotiate back to 256K/... ?

Yes, Posible but has to be agreed between your SP and BTW. There isn't an
auto retraining of speed, you only get the agreed speed (at this time), but
this may change when DSL Max arrives later in the year.

Phill

Old February 18th 05, 04:02 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Ian Stirling

P H wrote:

"Ian Stirling" wrote in message
Is there anything in the modem at my end, or the exchange that stops
it being able to negotiate for a speed of 768K, 1278K, ...?
Basically if my line won't support 2Mb, is there a reason why it
wouldn't
work at 1.5, or 1.75?

Yes, The speed is controlled by the exchange DSLAM equipment. You have no
control over it.

So, might this be a cure for some of us with intermittent lines - they'd
just renegotiate back to 256K/... ?

Yes, Posible but has to be agreed between your SP and BTW. There isn't an
auto retraining of speed, you only get the agreed speed (at this time), but
this may change when DSL Max arrives later in the year.

Doh.
Sorry, managed to confuse two threads I was posting in.
Oops.