Speed/attenuation etc.

Old February 16th 05, 09:25 AM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Brian McIlwrath

Default Speed/attenuation etc.

What are the limits on maximum speed for a given line quality these days?

I have 512k with an attenuation of 43dB and S/N of 30dB. At one time (before
the latest relaxation in limits) the BT checker thought that this line could
not support higher than 512k.
Old February 16th 05, 09:49 AM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Andy Burns

Brian McIlwrath wrote:

What are the limits on maximum speed for a given line quality these days?
I have 512k with an attenuation of 43dB and S/N of 30dB.

I have attenuation of 54dB and margin that hovers from low to mid 20dB
this line gets 1Mb with no problems.

At one time (before
the latest relaxation in limits) the BT checker thought that this line could
not support higher than 512k.

I think 1Mb limit is now 60dB and 2Mb 43dB?
Old February 16th 05, 11:17 AM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Andy M Jenkins

Andy Burns wrote:

I think 1Mb limit is now 60dB and 2Mb 43dB?

Spot on !

--
Regards
Andy M Jenkins
Old February 16th 05, 11:30 AM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Brian McIlwrath

Andy M Jenkins wrote:
: Andy Burns wrote:

: I think 1Mb limit is now 60dB and 2Mb 43dB?

: Spot on !

Many thanks! So, as I am exactly *AT* 43dB I could, in principle, get 2Mb??
Old February 16th 05, 12:33 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
kraftee

Brian McIlwrath wrote:
Andy M Jenkins wrote:
Andy Burns wrote:

I think 1Mb limit is now 60dB and 2Mb 43dB?

Spot on !

Many thanks! So, as I am exactly *AT* 43dB I could, in principle, get
2Mb??

Depends on your SNR...

Old February 16th 05, 01:34 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Wira One

On Wed, 16 Feb 2005 12:33:25 +0000, kraftee wrote:

Brian McIlwrath wrote:
Andy M Jenkins wrote:
Andy Burns wrote:

I think 1Mb limit is now 60dB and 2Mb 43dB?

Spot on !

Many thanks! So, as I am exactly *AT* 43dB I could, in principle, get
2Mb??

Depends on your SNR...

How in the world can I get this reading? I have an older version
of ebuyer's 1 port modem router (Alcatel chipset). Or should I plug in my
old Fujitsu USB modem to get this reading?

Old February 16th 05, 02:47 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Brian McIlwrath

Wira One wrote:
: Many thanks! So, as I am exactly *AT* 43dB I could, in principle, get
: 2Mb??
:
: Depends on your SNR...

S/N is 30dB (as at start of thread!)

: How in the world can I get this reading? I have an older version
: of ebuyer's 1 port modem router (Alcatel chipset). Or should I plug in my
: old Fujitsu USB modem to get this reading?

I guess that if your router does not report these figures then you have to
rely on BT's checker at www.bt.com/broadband. I see that, unlike last year,
this now predicts that I *CAN* get ADSL at all speeds up to and including
2Mb.
Old February 16th 05, 05:43 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
DMG

I have a 512k service (from Pipex) and my router says the attenuation is
31dB with a S/N of 15dB. The adsl connection stays up for weeks and months
at a time. However, I am about 5km from the exchange.

I have contacted both Pipex and BT to upgrade to a faster service but they
say it's not available on my line. Neither can give the actual reason why
not. I suspect they are looking at old or inaccurate data (I used to a have
a noise problem on the line that has now been resolved).

Does anyone know of a way to get BT to re-assess the line?

Old February 16th 05, 09:28 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Wira One

On Wed, 16 Feb 2005 14:47:48 +0000, Brian McIlwrath wrote:

Wira One wrote:
: Many thanks! So, as I am exactly *AT* 43dB I could, in principle, get
: 2Mb??
:
: Depends on your SNR...

S/N is 30dB (as at start of thread!)

: How in the world can I get this reading? I have an older version
: of ebuyer's 1 port modem router (Alcatel chipset). Or should I plug in my
: old Fujitsu USB modem to get this reading?

I guess that if your router does not report these figures then you have to
rely on BT's checker at www.bt.com/broadband. I see that, unlike last year,
this now predicts that I *CAN* get ADSL at all speeds up to and including
2Mb.

Gee.. I don't like the report based on my phone number given by the
website.

"Our initial test indicates that it is VERY UNLIKELY you will be able to
receive 512Kbps or 256Kbps broadband service due to the very long length
of your telephone line. However, your order will be accepted if you still
wish to order. An engineer may need to visit who will, where possible,
supply the broadband service. It is currently not possible to provide the
1Mbps or 2Mbps ADSL broadband services."

I've 512Kbps running just fine and since I'm on PlusNet, I guess I can
kiss goodbye the free 1Mbps or 2Mbps upgrade..

Old February 17th 05, 09:00 AM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Simon Pleasants

On Wed, 16 Feb 2005 21:28:51 +0000, Wira One
wrote:

Gee.. I don't like the report based on my phone number given by the
website.

"Our initial test indicates that it is VERY UNLIKELY you will be able to
receive 512Kbps or 256Kbps broadband service due to the very long length
of your telephone line. However, your order will be accepted if you still
wish to order. An engineer may need to visit who will, where possible,
supply the broadband service. It is currently not possible to provide the
1Mbps or 2Mbps ADSL broadband services."

Mine says I cannot get 2Mbit. Oh yes I can - and I have.

Att 52db
SNR 15db