Plusnet will offer 8MB for 14-99 in april

Old February 16th 05, 07:21 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
none

Default Plusnet will offer 8MB for 14-99 in april

PlusNet to trial BT's 8Mb broadband
By Tim Richardson
Published Wednesday 16th February 2005 17:08 GMT

Sheffield-based PlusNet has confirmed that from April it will be
trialling broadband DSL at speeds up to 8Mb as part of a wider pilot
scheme announced by BT Wholesale two weeks ago.

The UK's former telecoms monopoly has already announced plans to
deliver higher speeds for its wholesale ADSL products to meet what it
described as "increasing demand for more bandwidth-hungry applications
such as video".

Trials for the increased va-va-voom - which should support line speeds
up to 8Mb "dependant on line characteristics" - are scheduled to begin
in April ahead of a national roll-out beginning in the autumn.

PlusNet - which already works closely with BT following an agreement
inked in December - is planning to offer free speed upgrades and a
brand new product range.

"From April, all PlusNet customers will be able to take advantage of
the increased speeds as they become available," said the ISP in a
statement.

"Existing PlusNet customers will be able to upgrade free of charge to
the maximum available DSL speed. The changes enable the ISP to
determine its customers' actual speed setting, instead of this being
set at BT's local exchange."

From April, PlusNet will be providing 8Mb from 14.99 a month although

this will be subject to availability and usage conditions.

Old February 16th 05, 07:59 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
jonny

On 16 Feb 2005 11:21:22 -0800, "none" wrote:

"From April, all PlusNet customers will be able to take advantage of
the increased speeds as they become available," said the ISP in a
statement.

"Existing PlusNet customers will be able to upgrade free of charge to
the maximum available DSL speed. The changes enable the ISP to
determine its customers' actual speed setting, instead of this being
set at BT's local exchange."

Hmmm great, now PN customers can hit their cap quicker than ever.
Old February 16th 05, 10:11 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
mo

"jonny" wrote in message
news
On 16 Feb 2005 11:21:22 -0800, "none" wrote:

"From April, all PlusNet customers will be able to take advantage of
the increased speeds as they become available," said the ISP in a
statement.

"Existing PlusNet customers will be able to upgrade free of charge to
the maximum available DSL speed. The changes enable the ISP to
determine its customers' actual speed setting, instead of this being
set at BT's local exchange."

Hmmm great, now PN customers can hit their cap quicker than ever.

what difference does it make? you still download the same amount..

i come home to 1mb and downlaod 24 - it takes about 50mins - i come home and
download 24 on 8mb and it downloads....err 8x quicker...

Old February 16th 05, 11:36 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
James Mourby

"mo" wrote in message

"jonny" wrote in message
news
On 16 Feb 2005 11:21:22 -0800, "none" wrote:

"From April, all PlusNet customers will be able to take advantage of
the increased speeds as they become available," said the ISP in a
statement.

"Existing PlusNet customers will be able to upgrade free of charge to
the maximum available DSL speed. The changes enable the ISP to
determine its customers' actual speed setting, instead of this being
set at BT's local exchange."

Hmmm great, now PN customers can hit their cap quicker than ever.

what difference does it make? you still download the same amount..

i come home to 1mb and downlaod 24 - it takes about 50mins - i come home
and download 24 on 8mb and it downloads....err 8x quicker...

You really think you're going to hit 8Mb on bittorrant or similar?

Old February 16th 05, 11:54 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Andrew Norman

On Wed, 16 Feb 2005 23:36:19 -0000, "James Mourby"
wrote:

"mo" wrote in message

"jonny" wrote in message
news
On 16 Feb 2005 11:21:22 -0800, "none" wrote:

"From April, all PlusNet customers will be able to take advantage of
the increased speeds as they become available," said the ISP in a
statement.

"Existing PlusNet customers will be able to upgrade free of charge to
the maximum available DSL speed. The changes enable the ISP to
determine its customers' actual speed setting, instead of this being
set at BT's local exchange."

Hmmm great, now PN customers can hit their cap quicker than ever.

what difference does it make? you still download the same amount..

i come home to 1mb and downlaod 24 - it takes about 50mins - i come home
and download 24 on 8mb and it downloads....err 8x quicker...

You really think you're going to hit 8Mb on bittorrant or similar?

Of course you can. The whole point of bittorrent it that you can be
receiving data for many downloads at the same time from many different
remote clients.

You can fill a 2Mbps pipe with bittorrent downloads, 8Mbps will be no
different.
--
Andy Norman
http://www.norman.cx/
Old February 17th 05, 03:00 AM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
kim

wrote:

"mo" wrote in message

"jonny" wrote in message
news On 16 Feb 2005 11:21:22 -0800, "none" wrote:

[...]

I'm having difficulty filling a 512K pipe with bittorrent at the moment. I'm
getting 3KB down while my upload is running at the maximum 20KB I allow it
to before problems set in.

(kim)

Old February 17th 05, 08:44 AM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Andrew Norman

On Thu, 17 Feb 2005 03:00:30 -0000, "kim" wrote:

"Andrew Norman" wrote in message

You can fill a 2Mbps pipe with bittorrent downloads, 8Mbps will be no
different.

I'm having difficulty filling a 512K pipe with bittorrent at the moment. I'm
getting 3KB down while my upload is running at the maximum 20KB I allow it
to before problems set in.

You might be filling your upstream bandwidth and thus killing your
downstream bandwidth as well ?

Are you firewalled, it works much quicker if the appropriate ports are
open.

When it comes down to it it will only be as fast as the other people
uploading to you. If the torrents you are downloading don't have much
spare bandwidth available then you won't see fast downloads.
Old February 17th 05, 02:03 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Pete M Williams

"kim" wrote in message

I'm having difficulty filling a 512K pipe with bittorrent at the moment.
I'm getting 3KB down while my upload is running at the maximum 20KB I
allow it to before problems set in.

(kim)

It all depends on what the "uploaders" are pushing back at you.

I am a member of a few closed torrent groups and members from some parts of
the world have a 10meg up and down connection.
These members for obvious reasons are seeders and only members with an
upload of above 1meg are ever considered as seeders.
Because the groups are closed and only open to you if you get invited and
you also have to keep your ratio above 1:1 you are able to download at
whatever maximum speed your connection allows over 90% of the time.

I am guessing that you are not downloading from a closed group with the
above provisions and are just downloading from links from one of the many
torrent links sites. If this is the case then you may well find that your
speeds are more often that not on the slow side.

Old February 18th 05, 05:58 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Dutch

"jonny" wrote in message
news
On 16 Feb 2005 11:21:22 -0800, "none" wrote:

"From April, all PlusNet customers will be able to take advantage of
the increased speeds as they become available," said the ISP in a
statement.

"Existing PlusNet customers will be able to upgrade free of charge to
the maximum available DSL speed. The changes enable the ISP to
determine its customers' actual speed setting, instead of this being
set at BT's local exchange."

Hmmm great, now PN customers can hit their cap quicker than ever.

Exactly! What ****ing gash we get!

It's like... after 1mb, your comp accesses web-pages in the *same ****ing
amount of time* - as it takes so many milliseconds to display the data,
etc...

A cap is pointless for 8mb. If it was 100gig a month, or even 30 gig as
month, that'd be 1 gig a day, which would be **** easy to reach on an 8mb
line

Old February 18th 05, 06:11 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
kim

"Andrew Norman" wrote in message
On Thu, 17 Feb 2005 03:00:30 -0000, "kim" wrote:

"Andrew Norman" wrote in message

You can fill a 2Mbps pipe with bittorrent downloads, 8Mbps will be no
different.

I'm having difficulty filling a 512K pipe with bittorrent at the moment.
I'm
getting 3KB down while my upload is running at the maximum 20KB I allow it
to before problems set in.

You might be filling your upstream bandwidth and thus killing your
downstream bandwidth as well ?

I'm using Netlimiter to limit my uploads to 20KB which is the optimum for my
connection.

Are you firewalled, it works much quicker if the appropriate ports are
open.

Never had a problem with Firewalls. Depending on the particular file and
time of day my bittorrent downloads can fluctuate between 1KB and 55KB. That
is why I'm unconvinced that upgrading to a faster connection will give me
any faster downloads.

When it comes down to it it will only be as fast as the other people
uploading to you. If the torrents you are downloading don't have much
spare bandwidth available then you won't see fast downloads.

My chief complaint here is that gigantic files are often newly seeded by
people who obviously have hardly any bandwidth to spare but I suppose that
is better than them not being seeded at all.

(kim)