10.1km Line with a Zyxel 660hw

Old February 16th 05, 07:25 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
cliff goldsmith

Default 10.1km Line with a Zyxel 660hw

just got connected on a 10.1km line with a Zyxel 660hw
Yipeeeeeeee
bt said that i couldn't get broadband because i was too far from the
exchange. i spent 100 on this router after reading a reply to an earlier
post saying that someone else had connected a 9.5km

Old February 16th 05, 07:54 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
TheDragon

"cliff goldsmith" wrote in message
just got connected on a 10.1km line with a Zyxel 660hw
Yipeeeeeeee
bt said that i couldn't get broadband because i was too far from the
exchange. i spent 100 on this router after reading a reply to an earlier
post saying that someone else had connected a 9.5km

What are your line stats? dB SNR etc

Old February 16th 05, 07:58 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Gareth

"cliff goldsmith" wrote in message
just got connected on a 10.1km line with a Zyxel 660hw
Yipeeeeeeee
bt said that i couldn't get broadband because i was too far from the
exchange. i spent 100 on this router after reading a reply to an earlier
post saying that someone else had connected a 9.5km

How did you persuade BT to connect you in the first place if you are too far
from the exchange?

Gareth.

Old February 16th 05, 08:56 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
cliff goldsmith

i don't know where to find all the info on the line
there is no set up or info for the router

Old February 17th 05, 08:12 AM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Andrew Morley

In article ,
"Gareth" writes:
How did you persuade BT to connect you in the first place if you are

too far
from the exchange?

BT/your ISP will connect you no matter how far away you are. If it
doesn't work you get fully refunded.

I'm following this thread because my parents live about 9km away from
the exchange - the line length is probably rather more. Their 512k
ADSL line *just* works with a frog (Speedtouch or whatever it is
called - you know, the free, USB one). It just about fails to work on
my Solwise SAR-705 (reports about 61dB loss, from memory).

I'm on the lookout for a really sensitive ADSL-to-ethernet
modem/router. However, on asking most vendors, they don't have any
idea about the sensitivity of the modem. In fairness, Solwise knew
what I Was talking about and suggested a particular model (one of the
Billion ones, ISTR).

So, does anyone have any suggesions for really sensitive modems?
Price no object.

Andrew

Replace the bit before the @ with my first name for my real address.

Old February 17th 05, 04:50 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
cliff goldsmith

"J" it was your thread what prompted me to the Zyxel 660hw thanks.... it
cost me 100 but worth every penny

Old February 17th 05, 07:21 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
TheDragon

Draytek 2600W on a 6.4km line. 64dB, 1MB line.

Old February 17th 05, 07:57 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Les Harvey

"Gareth" writes:
[...]

Westell have a product called Ultraline which supposedly will work over
'poor' telephone lines. Can improve performance by up to 500%, so the sales
blurb states. Info can be found at
http://www.westell.co.uk/pdf/Ultraline_UK_02.pdf