Will Zen follow?

Old February 16th 05, 08:47 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Simon

Default Will Zen follow?

Anyone know before I email Zen, if they will be going the same way as
plusnet? I am with plusnet now and I am a self confessed heavy user. Now if
my line will support 2 or even 4mb then I can still get what I want in the
offpeak times but if I am stuck at 1mb I cannot.

I am quite happy to pay more for a sevice which is uncapped but will the
others like Zen be forced onto the same system by the monopolising BT or are
they on a different system?

Simon.

Old February 16th 05, 08:55 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
T.

Simon wrote:
Anyone know before I email Zen, if they will be going the same way as
plusnet? I am with plusnet now and I am a self confessed heavy user. Now if
my line will support 2 or even 4mb then I can still get what I want in the
offpeak times but if I am stuck at 1mb I cannot.

I am quite happy to pay more for a sevice which is uncapped but will the
others like Zen be forced onto the same system by the monopolising BT or are
they on a different system?

Zen senior staff have said a number of time that they don't plan to cap
usage at all.

They may later offer a capped service, but the current core products
will still remain.
Old February 16th 05, 09:05 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Simon

Zen senior staff have said a number of time that they don't plan to cap
usage at all.

They may later offer a capped service, but the current core products will
still remain.

Excellent.

Not sure if I should get my mac now or max my connection and be asked to get
my coat!

I am on a monthly contract anyhow so easy either way.

Old February 16th 05, 10:43 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
BIGEYE

"Simon" wrote in message

Zen senior staff have said a number of time that they don't plan to cap
usage at all.

They may later offer a capped service, but the current core products will
still remain.

Excellent.

Not sure if I should get my mac now or max my connection and be asked to
get my coat!

I am on a monthly contract anyhow so easy either way.

You will get free migration to zen as long as it is same package. If you
raise a ticket on plusnet they will expedite it quicker than it normally
takes.

Old February 16th 05, 10:51 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Alex Heney

On Wed, 16 Feb 2005 20:55:40 +0000, "T."
wrote:

Simon wrote:
Anyone know before I email Zen, if they will be going the same way as
plusnet? I am with plusnet now and I am a self confessed heavy user. Now if
my line will support 2 or even 4mb then I can still get what I want in the
offpeak times but if I am stuck at 1mb I cannot.

I am quite happy to pay more for a sevice which is uncapped but will the
others like Zen be forced onto the same system by the monopolising BT or are
they on a different system?

Zen senior staff have said a number of time that they don't plan to cap
usage at all.

Which means nothing.

First, I would bet that six months ago, PN had no plans to introduce a
cap.

Second, they may even do as PN are and try to worm out of it by
introducing something similar, and claiming it is "not a cap".

They also have, in their T&C, the following "interesting" clauses:
2.5 We will endeavour to ensure that the Services are of a high
quality. In order to maintain the quality and safety of the Services,
and any other services which we provide to our customers, we may from
time to time:

(a) Suspend, close down or restrict the whole or any part of the
Services in order to carry out emergency or other repairs, maintenance
and/or improvements or to prevent overload of the network or to
preserve the safety, security or integrity of the Services and any
Internet traffic conveyed (although we will give you as much notice as
is reasonably practicable before doing so and will endeavour to carry
out such works during the relevant scheduled maintenance periods as
published by us); and/or

(b) Give you instructions on how to use the Services.

You agree to comply with any instructions we may give you in
accordance with this Clause.

11.3 You acknowledge and agree that our resources, used in providing
the Services, are limited and that any reckless or wasteful use of the
Services by you may affect those resources and the services provided
to our other customers. You agree that we may suspend or terminate
your access to the Services where we decide, acting reasonably, that
you are using the Services in a reckless or wasteful manner.

Alex Heney, Global Villager
Love is grand. Divorce is twenty grand.

Old February 16th 05, 10:51 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Simon

You will get free migration to zen as long as it is same package. If you
raise a ticket on plusnet they will expedite it quicker than it normally
takes.

How does the migration work? If I give 30 days notice and ask for the mac
code a day before my usual billing day does the mac code last for the full
30 days? And will I only pay the month I payed for in advance and it will
cease the day before I would be next due a payment?

Simon.

Old February 17th 05, 10:58 AM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Steve

On Wed, 16 Feb 2005 22:51:46 -0000, "Simon" wrote:

How does the migration work? If I give 30 days notice and ask for the mac
code a day before my usual billing day does the mac code last for the full
30 days?

Yes

And will I only pay the month I payed for in advance and it will
cease the day before I would be next due a payment?

Yes. Under this method you will have one more month to pay for (the
next billing date from today).
Old February 17th 05, 11:36 AM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Phil Long

On Wed, 16 Feb 2005 20:47:05 -0000, "Simon" wrote:

Anyone know before I email Zen, if they will be going the same way as
plusnet? I am with plusnet now and I am a self confessed heavy user. Now if
my line will support 2 or even 4mb then I can still get what I want in the
offpeak times but if I am stuck at 1mb I cannot.

I am quite happy to pay more for a sevice which is uncapped but will the
others like Zen be forced onto the same system by the monopolising BT or are
they on a different system?

Simon.

There are no plans to restrict the services we offer.

We remain committed to providing a quality, resilient product which
satisfies a section of the market who want peace of mind from their
provider, and an easy to understand product with no suprises.

regards,
Phil D.Long
Team Leader - Second Line Technical Support
Zen Internet Ltd.
W: www.zensupport.co.uk
Old February 17th 05, 11:54 AM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Ignition

Phil Long wrote:
[...]

Nice standardised marketing speak reply, and famous last words.

How's the average bandwidth consumption going with the increasing
migration of heavy users onto your services?

How exactly are you planning on offering 8Mbit 'MaxDSL' services on an
uncapped basis? Either you'll have to charge an insane price,
commercially a waste of time offering it, or with usage restrictions.

While there may not be plans you know as well as I do that sooner or
later especially as more users having been politely asked to leave their
existing services go to yourselves for a few hundred GB a month it's an
inevitable thing, barring fundamental changes in the Wholesale structure
or Zen LLU of course

The joys of going into the mainstream, people with non-mainstream
bandwidth usage begin to take notice
Old February 18th 05, 09:01 AM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
T.

wrote:

Simon wrote:

Anyone know before I email Zen, if they will be going the same way as
plusnet? I am with plusnet now and I am a self confessed heavy user. Now if
my line will support 2 or even 4mb then I can still get what I want in the
offpeak times but if I am stuck at 1mb I cannot.

I am quite happy to pay more for a sevice which is uncapped but will the
others like Zen be forced onto the same system by the monopolising BT or are
they on a different system?

Zen senior staff have said a number of time that they don't plan to cap
usage at all.

Which means nothing.

From a business point of view, it wouldn't be in their interest to
start capping at all.