USR wireless router - recommended ?

Old February 17th 05, 12:33 AM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Colin Wilson

Default USR wireless router - recommended ?

Ebuyer bundle...

US Robotics Wireless Gateway Bundle 802.11g
52.70 (61.93 inc VAT)
Quickfind code: 59165

A colleague is looking for a router for use with a laptop, but I have
little in the way of wireless experience.

Are there any known issues with this kit, or tell them to go for it ?

....its for use on a proposed plusnet account they haven't even applied
for yet, but not expecting any issues over provision...

TIA

Old February 17th 05, 04:43 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
David W.E. Roberts

** No chevrons for some reason **
"Colin Wilson" wrote in message
t...
Ebuyer bundle...

US Robotics Wireless Gateway Bundle 802.11g
52.70 (61.93 inc VAT)
Quickfind code: 59165

A colleague is looking for a router for use with a laptop, but I have
little in the way of wireless experience.

Are there any known issues with this kit, or tell them to go for it ?

....its for use on a proposed plusnet account they haven't even applied
for yet, but not expecting any issues over provision...
** End of original post **

Review http://www.adslguide.org.uk/hardware...4/usr-9106.asp

Basically a little under specified but O.K. for simple useage if at the
right price.
This price doesn't seem too bad for a bundle (however this may suggest the
kit is hard to shift).

Cheers
Dave R

Old February 17th 05, 06:53 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Colin Wilson

Basically a little under specified but O.K. for simple useage if at the
right price.
This price doesn't seem too bad for a bundle (however this may suggest the
kit is hard to shift)

Thanks for that - i`ve forwarded it on

Old February 17th 05, 09:08 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Roger

"Colin Wilson" wrote in message
t...
Ebuyer bundle...

US Robotics Wireless Gateway Bundle 802.11g
52.70 (61.93 inc VAT)
Quickfind code: 59165

A colleague is looking for a router for use with a laptop, but I have
little in the way of wireless experience.

Are there any known issues with this kit, or tell them to go for it ?

....its for use on a proposed plusnet account they haven't even applied
for yet, but not expecting any issues over provision...

TIA

I paid 3 times that for the router itself just over a year ago so looks like
a bargain. Router is very stable and does everything I need including VPN
passthru.

Old February 17th 05, 11:51 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Colin Wilson

snip Router is very stable snip

This is probably quite an important "feature" as the person who its
destined for knows SFA* about computers**.

* despite my best efforts to help them lock down their machine (i`ve got
all the tips laid out in newbie level language on my rather poor attempt
at a website) they refuse to follow any of the simple step by step
instructions saying its too hard and they get confused.

** uses one all day every day in work

Given what i`m up against, I think a router is the safest option for them
in the short term, until they learn the hard way and have to reinstall
from scratch repeatedly :-}