Linksys WAG54G Firmware

Old February 17th 05, 11:13 AM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Jeff Gaines

Default Linksys WAG54G Firmware

There was some discussion in an older thread about firmware for the
Linksys WAG54G.

I found the Linksys site a pain to navigate so I emailed Linksys and
asked for a direct link to the appropriate site to d/l firmware. They
replied with this link:

www.linksys.com/download

I followed the link which has a notice saying:

Important: These downloads are for US and Canadian (-CA) products only.

So I emailed Linksys again and they replied:

"That site is also for the use of people in the UK the only thing you
may notice is that you lose a couple of channels in the setup pages of
the router but other than that it should be fine."

That strikes me as very odd advice, especially as I must have channel 1
available to use wireless on my Psion netBook, and I don't know what
channels I would lose using the USA firmware.

Following the link again the 'firmware' link for the WAG54G is grayed
out anyway!

I then tried following their International tab and ended up at a page
that has firmware 1.00.19 available, my WAG54G already has 1.01.6 on it
though.

(http://www.linksys.com/international...fwid=73&coid=6)

I am beginning to think that buying Linksys may have been a major
mistake. Is their support normally this unhelpful? - or just not very
switched on?

I want to try and use WPA security but I'm sure I read in here that I
need later firmware to do that.

Can anybody confirm what level of firmware I need for WPA and also
where I can download it?

--
Jeff Gaines
Posted with XanaNews 1.17.2.7
Old February 17th 05, 11:35 AM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Munish

"Jeff Gaines" wrote in message

[...]

Have you tried the international site. Here is the direct link for the
WAG54G product page,
http://www.linksys.com/international...oid=6&ipid=667
on the right side there's a menu, select "firmware" to download the
international version of the firmware.

I have a WAG54G and I've still got the original firmware installed
(v1.00.7), I've never upgraded the firmware and it works perfectly (touch
wood), as they say "If it's not broke, don't try to fix it".

HTH

Munish

Old February 17th 05, 11:44 AM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Munish

"Munish" wrote in message

[...]

Also try this link:
http://www.linksys.com/international...fwid=32&coid=6

download doesn't seem to be working with the other link.

Old February 17th 05, 12:20 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Chris Harris

"Jeff Gaines" wrote in message

There was some discussion in an older thread about firmware for the
Linksys WAG54G.

You may want to head over to
http://www.linksysinfo.org/modules.p...rticle&sid=155
but I'd suggest reading threads there about the stability (or not) of
later firmware before you upgrade what you've got. Latest appears to
be 1.02.07, but for what it's worth, I'm still running 1.01.6 on mine.

You might also find this Linksys press release of interest:
http://www.linksys.com/international...rid=147&coid=6
- when all else fails, bring out a new version.

That strikes me as very odd advice, especially as I must have channel 1
available to use wireless on my Psion netBook, and I don't know what
channels I would lose using the USA firmware.

AFAIK you'd lose channels 12 and 13.

I am beginning to think that buying Linksys may have been a major
mistake. Is their support normally this unhelpful? - or just not very
switched on?

Yes on all points. :-(

Can anybody confirm what level of firmware I need for WPA and also
where I can download it?

The linksysinfo site is probably your best bet for finding out what you
need - if it exists. I won't be rushing out to buy any more Linksys
products. Anyone recommend a decent ADSL 11g modem/router?

Best,
Chris
--
Speaking for myself and nobody else, of course.

Old February 17th 05, 02:59 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Jeff Gaines

On 17/02/2005 Chris Harris wrote:

The linksysinfo site is probably your best bet for finding out what
you need - if it exists. I won't be rushing out to buy any more
Linksys products. Anyone recommend a decent ADSL 11g modem/router?

Thanks for all the replies, I think I will just accept I made a mistake
with Linksys, especially getting version 1.

I have ordered a Draytek Viger 2600G which seems to have more
facilities and, hopefully, more switched on support.

My daughter is planning to switch to broadband, I'll pass the Linksys
on to her. Her nearest neighbours are a couple of miles away from her
house so she won't need to be as concerned about security as I do.

Thanks again.

--
Jeff Gaines
Posted with XanaNews 1.17.2.7
Old February 18th 05, 08:27 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Mark Kelly

On 17 Feb 2005 11:13:29 GMT, "Jeff Gaines"
wrote:

[...]

someone might already posted but you can bypass linksys and get
firmware by other developers. Since there are ppl who have "improve"
on it and made them better.
reverse my email address, and remove the obvious
spam traps to reach me by email.
http://www.callthrough.tk/ = site not updated.
Old February 19th 05, 07:06 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Black Shuck

Mark Kelly got up from the bar and shouted: :

someone might already posted but you can bypass linksys and get
firmware by other developers. Since there are ppl who have "improve"
on it and made them better.

But not the WAG54G it seems.

My mate bought one, and it's a total POS, going back to ebuyer. My
Vigor 2600We is faultless...
Old March 10th 05, 03:04 AM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Spacen Jasset

Jeff Gaines wrote:
[...]

There is a ftp site with later unofficial firmware from linksys. I
forget the location perhaps ftp.linksys.co.uk or something goole for it.
I sent my linksys back and got a draytek instead.
Old March 10th 05, 01:30 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Jeff Gaines

On 10/03/2005 Spacen Jasset wrote:

There is a ftp site with later unofficial firmware from linksys. I
forget the location perhaps ftp.linksys.co.uk or something goole for
it. I sent my linksys back and got a draytek instead.

So did I in the end! I got the Vigor 2600 and it's excellent.

--
Jeff Gaines
Posted with XanaNews 1.17.2.7