Nildram or Zen

Old February 17th 05, 12:01 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Grumps

Default Nildram or Zen

Is it a tricky question?
Nildram will charge me 50/month for a Home2000 (or whatever they call it)
with 8 IPs, but Zen only charge 38 for the same deal.
Have I missed something?

Old February 17th 05, 02:39 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
SwissTony

"Grumps" wrote in message
Is it a tricky question?
Nildram will charge me 50/month for a Home2000 (or whatever they call it)
with 8 IPs, but Zen only charge 38 for the same deal.
Have I missed something?

Wait till the end of the month as nildram is supposed to be announcing
something to do with the priccing structure i believe

Old February 18th 05, 07:45 AM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Doc Holiday

No, you aren't missing anything. Nilly have been way over priced for ages
and I just migrated away to Zen. There is supposed to be a great
announcment at the end of this month, but I was sick of the way they handled
so many things... most recently usenet. With about a week of notice, they
moved everybody to giganews, required us to transmit our system
details/password in the clear and put a cap on it. I am not a heavy usenet
user, so the cap doesn't bother me, but the attitude was take it or leave it
chump. In fact, one of the CS reps said on the Nildram adslguide.org.uk
forum that usenet users were an extremely small, but vocal minority.

Nilly has not been quite the same since the buy out from Pipex. I don't
trust them any more and I could get the very same thing from Zen for
9/month cheaper. I think Zen is ever bit as good as Nilly and if look at
the speed tests they brag about from time to time, Zen has beat Nildram 8
times in the last 12 months. Nildram have taken a lot of flack regarding
their silly charges for fixed IP and real IP address options (which are free
on Zen), but have refused to reduce or get rid of them. Their whole
attitude really stinks.

However, I think the main disadvantage that I saw about leaving Zen is that
if you are a gamer, www.jolt.co.uk is hosted on the Nildram network, so you
get really good pings. I don't have time for gaming, and low pings have
never helped my gaming anyhow! ;-)

I don't think Nildram is as bad as some of the budget ISPs, but they aren't
the same. I would recommend you read the boards over at
www.adslguide.org.uk , and particularly the debate that broke out over the
usenet stuff at:
http://bbs.adslguide.org.uk/showthre...sb=5&o=&fpart=

Either way, I think whatever you choose you will be fairly happy. I'm fed
up with Nildram, but they are still a pretty good ISP... just not as good as
they used to be.

Doc Holiday

Old February 18th 05, 07:47 AM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Doc Holiday

"SwissTony" wrote in message

Wait till the end of the month as nildram is supposed to be announcing
something to do with the priccing structure i believe

Yes, it will be interesting to see what they do. I know of several users
who are going to call it a day with Nilly if they don't do something very
good.

Old February 18th 05, 08:13 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Doc Holiday

"Paul" wrote in message

I think that within the next few months Nildram will be able to address
the other issues that you have mentioned and may have a few surprises
for you"

looks like something is going to happen then, don't think it will be
within this month though! (the other issues i mentioned was price of
service + being charged for fixed ip).

Yes, they are under major pressure because there has been nothing but one
user after another post to adslguide.org.uk saying that they are leaving. I
expect they will do some bandwidth increases and also maybe do something
with the fixed ip charge.

Fundamentally though, they have lost the plot. They can no longer run their
own usenet server (in fact they have invited users to help them as a
community effort) and the fact that it has taken them this long to do
something about their prices just shows how inept the management is. IMHO,
they are still better than a lot of budget ISP's, but not the "pro version"
of adsl like they used to be.

Doc