ADSL and CID

Old February 17th 05, 02:42 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Richard Sobey

Default ADSL and CID

Hey all

I meant to ask this last week but forgot. Is it normal to lose
Caller-ID (CID) functionality after having ADSL activated on your
line? If not, and BT haven't turned CID off (it was on by default)
then what could cause this behaviour?

Thanks

Richard
Old February 17th 05, 03:48 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Gel

No you probably need to buy better filter

Old February 17th 05, 04:24 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
String

Richard Sobey wrote:
Hey all

I meant to ask this last week but forgot. Is it normal to lose
Caller-ID (CID) functionality after having ADSL activated on your
line? If not, and BT haven't turned CID off (it was on by default)
then what could cause this behaviour?

Thanks

Richard

It shouldnt affect that at all.
Old February 17th 05, 05:03 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Jeff Gaines

On 17/02/2005 Richard Sobey wrote:

Hey all

I meant to ask this last week but forgot. Is it normal to lose
Caller-ID (CID) functionality after having ADSL activated on your
line? If not, and BT haven't turned CID off (it was on by default)
then what could cause this behaviour?

When I was converted (from ISDN) BT ceased and re-supplied caller ID.
It stopped working for a couple of hours during the process.

Perhaps they have forgotten to re-supply you?

--
Jeff Gaines
Posted with XanaNews 1.17.2.7
Old February 17th 05, 07:10 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Peter M

On Thu, 17 Feb 2005 14:42:58 +0000, Richard Sobey wrote:

I meant to ask this last week but forgot. Is it normal to lose Caller-ID (CID)
functionality after having ADSL activated on your line? If not, and BT haven't
turned CID off (it was on by default) then what could cause this behaviour?

It was more than just 'lost' on my first line conversion for ADSL. Took over
a week before calls could come through. There's certainly a chance of some
interaction between the kit at the exchange ggenerating CLI info and ADSL,
so I'd give it 24 hours and then ring 151 (BT Faults) and report it if still
missing. My second line was converted with no problems, so usually it works
without problems (hence other posts, since most may have had no problems :-)

--
Try a commercial news service - from 50 MB/day (once-only fee of $4.95)
up to 1500 MB/day for 6 months $99.95, 600 GB over 6 months $149.75
Old February 18th 05, 12:33 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Richard Sobey

On Thu, 17 Feb 2005 19:10:23 +0000, Peter M
wrote:

On Thu, 17 Feb 2005 14:42:58 +0000, Richard Sobey wrote:

I meant to ask this last week but forgot. Is it normal to lose Caller-ID (CID)
functionality after having ADSL activated on your line? If not, and BT haven't
turned CID off (it was on by default) then what could cause this behaviour?

It was more than just 'lost' on my first line conversion for ADSL. Took over
a week before calls could come through. There's certainly a chance of some
interaction between the kit at the exchange ggenerating CLI info and ADSL,
so I'd give it 24 hours and then ring 151 (BT Faults) and report it if still
missing. My second line was converted with no problems, so usually it works
without problems (hence other posts, since most may have had no problems :-)

Thanks everyone for your replies. i will ring BT faults this weekend.

Richard
Old February 19th 05, 03:22 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Andy Burns

Richard Sobey wrote:

I meant to ask this last week but forgot. Is it normal to lose
Caller-ID (CID) functionality after having ADSL activated on your
line?

ADSL itself is compatible with CLI, but cheap microfilters can cause CLI
problems, especially it seems with some DECT phones ...
Old February 21st 05, 09:33 AM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Richard Sobey

On Sat, 19 Feb 2005 15:22:23 +0000, Andy Burns
wrote:

Richard Sobey wrote:

I meant to ask this last week but forgot. Is it normal to lose
Caller-ID (CID) functionality after having ADSL activated on your
line?

ADSL itself is compatible with CLI, but cheap microfilters can cause CLI
problems, especially it seems with some DECT phones ...

This is what my ISP said. I deliberately didn't skimp on the filters
so this has upset me! Excelsus Z-420UK-A (18 for 3...I think that was
on the expensive side!).

I assume I would simply need to replce the filters where I have
telephones connected and leave the one where my Sky box is plugged in.
Old February 21st 05, 10:44 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Richard Sobey

On Mon, 21 Feb 2005 19:38:39 +0000, "Dave {Reply Address in.sig}"
wrote:

Do you need new batteries in your CLI box?

No box, it's built into the phone(s). Good try though
Old February 21st 05, 10:51 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Andy Burns

Richard Sobey wrote:

This is what my ISP said. I deliberately didn't skimp on the filters
so this has upset me! Excelsus Z-420UK-A (18 for 3...I think that was
on the expensive side!).

Shouldn't be a problem, I used the Excelsus Z-Blocker and CLI was OK
with Philips DECT, I did change to a BT ADSL faceplate, but only for a
neater install.