BT broadband, interference on extension, needs cat5 cabling?

Old February 18th 05, 09:38 AM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Peter Lonsdale

Default BT broadband, interference on extension, needs cat5 cabling?

I'm having trouble with (according to BT) interference on an
extension, and the guys at BT have suggested that I use Cat 5 cabling
for the extension run (about 5m, for a recently installed Sky box).
I've had a look around and can't find telephone extension kits that
are Cat 5 - is it a relatively simple thing to make up/have made up a
cat 5 cable with the required connectors at each end? and will it
really solve my problem with interference from this extension?
everything was working fine until the Sky box arrived, even with other
extensions elsewhere in the house, which the router itself ran off
without problems for a while.

TIA,

Peter
Old February 18th 05, 11:15 AM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Paul D.Smith

I think http://www.clarity.it sells such things. Have you got a cheap
filter on the Sky box? You might want to try swapping around the ADSL
filters and see if that helps. Also, do you still get the problem with the
extension but nothing connected to it i.e. disconnect Sky box?

BTW, if you have 6 core cable, you might consider Clarity's consumer unit.
I have a single faceplate with phone and ADSL outlets wired, via 6-core, to
the consumer unit (modified box with 2,3,4,5,A,B terminals. All my phone
extensions are now isolated from the ADSL by the filter in the consumer box.
I've not had any problems, despite being able to hear Capital Radio on the
phones!

BTW, I don't work for or have any connection to Clarity.

Paul DS