Bulldog Questions

Old February 18th 05, 10:15 AM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Fred Finisterre

Default Bulldog Questions

1. Do I have to have their phone service? I'd prefer just the 4 meg
broadband at 19.50 a month.

2. I currently have Freeserve 512 - if I switch to Bulldog's 4 meg, for what
sort of period am I likely to be broadbandless?

3. In order to avoid being broadbandless, could I have another phone line
put in (what does that entail, and who would do it - BT or Bulldog?) and get
Bulldog 4 meg on that BEFORE I cancel my Freeserve? I really don't want to
be offline for any period, however small.

Cheers,

Fred.

Old February 18th 05, 10:40 AM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Jimbob

Fred Finisterre wrote:
1. Do I have to have their phone service? I'd prefer just the 4 meg
broadband at 19.50 a month.

4mb for 20?? Is it cosher?

Old February 18th 05, 12:12 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Sunil Sood

Fred Finisterre wrote:
1. Do I have to have their phone service? I'd prefer just the 4 meg
broadband at 19.50 a month.

Yes, you have to have their telephone line as well.

Bulldog is owned by Cable and Wireless and all this means is that they
will bill you for the line rental/calls instead of BT.

2. I currently have Freeserve 512 - if I switch to Bulldog's 4 meg,

for what
sort of period am I likely to be broadbandless?

If its an migration (with Freeserve giving you a MAC code which you
then pass on to Bulldog etc) then downtime should only be a few hours,
assuming all goes well.

It its treated as a new order (not a migration) then you are
potentially looking at about 3 weeks.. i.e. its in your interest to
ensure its treated as a migration to minimise downtime.

3. In order to avoid being broadbandless, could I have another phone

line
put in (what does that entail, and who would do it - BT or Bulldog?)

and get
Bulldog 4 meg on that BEFORE I cancel my Freeserve? I really don't

want to
be offline for any period, however small.

You can:

a)pay BT to put in a new line (they charge 74.99) and then apply to
join Bulldog when its installed or

b)you can pay Bulldog to put in a new line (they currently charge 60
for this) and BT will actually come around and do the work for them.

If you choose option b), I believe BT/Bulldog enable your line for ADSL
on the same day.

If you are thinking of signing up with Bulldog would you mind quoting
my referral code -just quote "bdol 87431" when signing up online (under
"How did you hear about Bulldog?/Referred by a Friend") or just mention
it while ordering by telephone.

Regards
Sunil

Old February 18th 05, 12:15 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Sunil Sood

Jimbob wrote:
Fred Finisterre wrote:
1. Do I have to have their phone service? I'd prefer just the 4 meg
broadband at 19.50 a month.

4mb for 20?? Is it cosher?

http://www.bulldogbroadband.com/resi...P/NP/index.asp for their
unmetered 4MB product - though they also have other bundles.

You have to change to paying for your telephone calls/line rental to
them as well to get the 4MB product.

Its also only currently available in about 70/80 exchanges (mainly in
and around London/South East), though this will increase to between 300
and 400, by the middle of the year

Regards
Sunil

Old February 18th 05, 06:09 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Fred Finisterre

If its an migration (with Freeserve giving you a MAC code which you
then pass on to Bulldog etc) then downtime should only be a few hours,
assuming all goes well.

I had heard previously that the MAC codes only worked if you were migrating
to a same speed service with another company?

If you are thinking of signing up with Bulldog would you mind quoting
my referral code -just quote "bdol 87431" when signing up online (under
"How did you hear about Bulldog?/Referred by a Friend") or just mention
it while ordering by telephone.

If I do, I will.

Cheers,

Fred.

Old February 18th 05, 07:34 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Sunil Sood

Fred Finisterre wrote:
I had heard previously that the MAC codes only worked if you were

migrating
to a same speed service with another company?

This is true for the majority of migrations (which are IPStream to
IPStream based) - and is a BT Wholesale restricition.

However, the MAC "same speed" rule does not apply if you are migrating
to an LLU line ISP (Bulldog, UKOnline, Homechoice etc) as you will be
connecting to non BT equipment in the telephone exchange.

These ISP's can migrate you and change your speed at the same time
(assuming your exchange has their LLU equipment in)

Regards
Sunil