Poor quality BT line

Old February 18th 05, 10:29 AM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Terrycymru

Default Poor quality BT line

I was eager to upgrade my 1mb connection to 2mb but then disappointed to be
told that there was too much noise on the line to support it.

Coincidentally, a week before I had noticed that the cover on a BT
connection box mounted high on my external wall was open and there were
wires hanging out exposed to the elements. I duly phoned BT to report this
and was curtly told that if I had damaged the wiring I would be charged! I
pointed out that given the location of the connection box it would be
difficult for anyone to damage it.

Next day a BT engineer arrived and when I pointed out the problem his
reaction was on the lines of "Is that all it is?". He dismissed my
suggestion that it was probably not a good idea to leave wiring exposed to
rain, etc with "It wouldn't make any difference because the connections are
greased." He then grudgingly climbed up a ladder to the box closed the lid
and was down again in seconds. He then used the phone to do a check, said
"That's OK" and was off in a flash.

With all the excitement about forthcoming 8mb connections it seems
reasonable to ask when are BT going to improve line quality to provide a
2mb connection to everyone who wants it?

Terry
Old February 18th 05, 11:21 AM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
:::Jerry::::

"Terrycymru" wrote in message
snip

With all the excitement about forthcoming 8mb connections it seems
reasonable to ask when are BT going to improve line quality to provide a
2mb connection to everyone who wants it?

I'm sure they will if you care to pay them to do so...

I suggest you read up on what services they (BT) are duty bound to supply
(as part of any contract between themselves and the customer) and what they
are not, AIUI domestic ADSL is an 'extra' and not the 'service'.

Old February 18th 05, 12:09 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Terrycymru

On Fri, 18 Feb 2005 11:21:29 -0000, :::Jerry:::: wrote:

"Terrycymru" wrote in message
snip

With all the excitement about forthcoming 8mb connections it seems
reasonable to ask when are BT going to improve line quality to provide a
2mb connection to everyone who wants it?

I'm sure they will if you care to pay them to do so...

I suggest you read up on what services they (BT) are duty bound to supply
(as part of any contract between themselves and the customer) and what they
are not, AIUI domestic ADSL is an 'extra' and not the 'service'.

My point (snipped by you) was that the poor quality of work carried out by
*some* BT engineers may cause the problem with noisy lines.
Old February 18th 05, 12:31 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
lurch

On Fri, 18 Feb 2005 12:09:19 +0000, Terrycymru strung
together this:

I suggest you read up on what services they (BT) are duty bound to supply
(as part of any contract between themselves and the customer) and what they
are not, AIUI domestic ADSL is an 'extra' and not the 'service'.

My point (snipped by you) was that the poor quality of work carried out by
*some* BT engineers may cause the problem with noisy lines.

But the voice works fine, so it's not sub-standard. BT won't go to any
great lengths to exceed what they have to supply as a minimum.
--

SJW
Old February 18th 05, 12:39 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Ian

"Terrycymru" wrote in message
On Fri, 18 Feb 2005 11:21:29 -0000, :::Jerry:::: wrote:

"Terrycymru" wrote in message
snip

With all the excitement about forthcoming 8mb connections it seems
reasonable to ask when are BT going to improve line quality to provide

2mb connection to everyone who wants it?

I'm sure they will if you care to pay them to do so...

I suggest you read up on what services they (BT) are duty bound to

supply
(as part of any contract between themselves and the customer) and what

they
are not, AIUI domestic ADSL is an 'extra' and not the 'service'.

My point (snipped by you) was that the poor quality of work carried out by
*some* BT engineers may cause the problem with noisy lines.

Its V unlikely and open dropwire conection box will as the engineer expained
to you the cable are connected by grease filled crimps and the box serves
little purpose except to keep off direct rainfall
..

BT do provide low loss lines, But you have to pay for the priv.

Old February 18th 05, 12:48 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
:::Jerry::::

"Terrycymru" wrote in message
On Fri, 18 Feb 2005 11:21:29 -0000, :::Jerry:::: wrote:

"Terrycymru" wrote in message
snip

With all the excitement about forthcoming 8mb connections it seems
reasonable to ask when are BT going to improve line quality to provide

2mb connection to everyone who wants it?

I'm sure they will if you care to pay them to do so...

I suggest you read up on what services they (BT) are duty bound to

supply
(as part of any contract between themselves and the customer) and what

they
are not, AIUI domestic ADSL is an 'extra' and not the 'service'.

My point (snipped by you) was that the poor quality of work carried out by
*some* BT engineers may cause the problem with noisy lines.

But that is not their prime concern, hence the reaction you received when
the BT engineer turned up, your phone worked, you even had 1mb ADSL - if
your phone wasn't working or you had problems with your existing ADSL
service you might have had a point.

It would be an almost impossible task to physically check on every line box
and connection, it is possible to check such things like the S/N ratio on
lines etc. and as long as they meet the spec' for the 'service' contract
then it works, extras are extras.

Old February 18th 05, 01:23 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Peter Lee

In message , Lurch
writes
On Fri, 18 Feb 2005 12:09:19 +0000, Terrycymru strung
together this:

I suggest you read up on what services they (BT) are duty bound to supply
(as part of any contract between themselves and the customer) and what they
are not, AIUI domestic ADSL is an 'extra' and not the 'service'.

My point (snipped by you) was that the poor quality of work carried out by
*some* BT engineers may cause the problem with noisy lines.

But the voice works fine, so it's not sub-standard. BT won't go to any
great lengths to exceed what they have to supply as a minimum.

I recently asked for my 512 connection to be upgraded to 1M. BT refused
because the line was too noisy. I contacted my ISP and said that I was
only 3.25km from the exchange and that BT had recently increased the
limit from 4 to 6km. The reply said that all BT were interested in was
where I had got the information from as it was not their policy to
publish these figures, and NO the line was too noisy.
I then wrote a long letter to the "BT Correspondence Centre" in
Gateshead,
pointing out that I had been telling them that the line was noisy for 30
years and was it beyond them to run a "clean line" for just over 3 km
mostly underground.
I have never had a reply to this letter but 10 days later I had a phone
call from my ISP saying that BT had upgraded my line to 1M without being
asked again. It has been faultless.
--
Peter Lee
Old February 18th 05, 03:51 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Terrycymru

On Fri, 18 Feb 2005 12:48:23 -0000, :::Jerry:::: wrote:

It would be an almost impossible task to physically check on every line box
and connection, it is possible to check such things like the S/N ratio on
lines etc. and as long as they meet the spec' for the 'service' contract
then it works, extras are extras.

"Every" line box and connection? I only had 1!
Old February 18th 05, 04:42 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
lurch

On Fri, 18 Feb 2005 15:51:30 +0000, Terrycymru strung
together this:

"Every" line box and connection? I only had 1!

And so do most other people in the UK, or did you just want BT to
personally provide you with what you want and no-one else.
--

SJW
Old February 18th 05, 04:48 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Bob Eager

On Fri, 18 Feb 2005 15:51:30 UTC, Terrycymru wrote:

On Fri, 18 Feb 2005 12:48:23 -0000, :::Jerry:::: wrote:

It would be an almost impossible task to physically check on every line box
and connection, it is possible to check such things like the S/N ratio on
lines etc. and as long as they meet the spec' for the 'service' contract
then it works, extras are extras.

"Every" line box and connection? I only had 1!

You mean that you *know* that there is a continuous piece of wire all
the way from your house to the exchange????