Accessing work's VPN over ADSL router (SAMR 4114)

Old February 18th 05, 01:04 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Mantorok

Default Accessing work's VPN over ADSL router (SAMR 4114)

Hi

Does anyone have any trouble accessing VPN through an ADSL router? I
recently brought a SAMR-4114 and can connect to my work network etc. but
can't do anything beyond that.

Anyone else use VPN for work etc?

Kev

Old February 18th 05, 01:50 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Richard Sobey

On Fri, 18 Feb 2005 13:04:20 -0000, "Mantorok"
wrote:

Hi

Does anyone have any trouble accessing VPN through an ADSL router? I
recently brought a SAMR-4114 and can connect to my work network etc. but
can't do anything beyond that.

Anyone else use VPN for work etc?

All the time, but it will depends on the specific VPN implementation
you use. Ours is based on GRE/PPTP. I use NAT to connect from behind
my Draytek 2600G.
Old February 18th 05, 01:53 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Mantorok

Good question

We use CheckPoint SecureClient to connect but I'm not sure what
implementation it uses.

I'm also not sure how to configure NAT on my router, it seems to be
automatic...

Kev

Old February 18th 05, 02:36 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Richard Sobey

On Fri, 18 Feb 2005 13:53:53 -0000, "Mantorok"
wrote:

Good question

We use CheckPoint SecureClient to connect but I'm not sure what
implementation it uses.

Pass

I'm also not sure how to configure NAT on my router, it seems to be
automatic...

NAT configuration is automatic, or at least, I've never had to modify
my router setup for NAT usage. My best advice would be to speak to
your network admins and ask them if you need to do anything special.
Old February 18th 05, 04:33 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Mark Undrill

"Mantorok" wrote in message
Good question

We use CheckPoint SecureClient to connect but I'm not sure what
implementation it uses.

I'm also not sure how to configure NAT on my router, it seems to be
automatic...

Kev

I don't know nuch about Check Point but ISTR it isn't too keen on NAT.
You could turn it off or maybe investigate using the VPN services
built into the 2600. There are notes on how to set it up for Check
Point on the www.draytek.co.uk web site. As someone else suggested, a
chat with your network support people may save a lot of hair pulling.

HTH

--
Mark Undrill
Affirm Limited

Old February 19th 05, 10:22 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband

In article ,
Mark Undrill wrote:
We use CheckPoint SecureClient to connect but I'm not sure what
implementation it uses.

I don't know nuch about Check Point but ISTR it isn't too keen on NAT.

Checkpoint FW-1 and SecureClient/SecureRemote all handle NAT. However
there are settings on both client and server sides that need to be correct
for this to work. Older versions require the user to specify NAT traversal
and encapsulation (and the firewall needs to permit this). There are also
issues to consider where your company's DMZ or internal network overlap -
I had this when I used to use 10.0.0.0/24 as my home network (reason:
easier to type than 192.168/16 or 172.16/12 range addresses!). I had to
switch to 10.9.0.0/24 to prevent routing problems.

Zane.