Streaming "in and out".

Old February 18th 05, 03:49 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Derrick Fawsitt

Default Streaming "in and out".

My Internet Radio streaming goes in and out, keeps buffering every few
seconds. I have 2mb ADSL and have used other programmes to stream to no
avail. I have disable my McAfee anti-virus also to no avail, what could
be wrong and what can I do please?

--
Derrick Fawsitt
Old February 18th 05, 04:06 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Hiram Hackenbacker

Derrick Fawsitt wrote:
My Internet Radio streaming goes in and out, keeps buffering every few
seconds. I have 2mb ADSL and have used other programmes to stream to no
avail. I have disable my McAfee anti-virus also to no avail, what could
be wrong and what can I do please?

It could be the source - have you tried more than one station?

How many seconds of sound is your player buffering?

Old February 18th 05, 04:48 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Richard Sobey

On Fri, 18 Feb 2005 15:49:59 +0000, Derrick Fawsitt
wrote:

My Internet Radio streaming goes in and out, keeps buffering every few
seconds. I have 2mb ADSL and have used other programmes to stream to no
avail. I have disable my McAfee anti-virus also to no avail, what could
be wrong and what can I do please?

This happened on my 100mbit work connection from BBC streaming,
although I haven't noticed it at all recently. You can stream from BBC
on a 512kb connection reliably.

I would mirror Hiram's statement - try a different station. You can
find loads on www.shoutcast.com to experiment.
Old February 18th 05, 09:06 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Derrick Fawsitt

In message , Hiram Hackenbacker
writes
Derrick Fawsitt wrote:
My Internet Radio streaming goes in and out, keeps buffering every
few seconds. I have 2mb ADSL and have used other programmes to stream
to no avail. I have disable my McAfee anti-virus also to no avail,
what could be wrong and what can I do please?

It could be the source - have you tried more than one station?

Yes, absolutely, I went into Shoutcast and tried them all out, they
waver in and out every few seconds with now and then a grating sound.
How many seconds of sound is your player buffering?

Just a few each time but it goes on continuously.

--
Derrick Fawsitt
Old February 18th 05, 09:09 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Derrick Fawsitt

In message , Richard Sobey
writes
wrote:

My Internet Radio streaming goes in and out, keeps buffering every few
seconds. I have 2mb ADSL and have used other programmes to stream to no
avail. I have disable my McAfee anti-virus also to no avail, what could
be wrong and what can I do please?

This happened on my 100mbit work connection from BBC streaming,
although I haven't noticed it at all recently. You can stream from BBC
on a 512kb connection reliably.

I would mirror Hiram's statement - try a different station. You can
find loads on www.shoutcast.com to experiment.

As I told Hiram, I have to no avail. I have been told it might be
something using my bandwith, what programme would not only check out
what was using it but could even disconnect it, is it possible. I have a
program call Nat Stat Live which tells me what is happening but I cannot
interpret it and it does not tell me where my problem is.
--
Derrick Fawsitt
Old February 18th 05, 09:15 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Hiram Hackenbacker

Derrick Fawsitt wrote:
In message , Richard Sobey
writes

wrote:

My Internet Radio streaming goes in and out, keeps buffering every few
seconds. I have 2mb ADSL and have used other programmes to stream to no
avail. I have disable my McAfee anti-virus also to no avail, what could
be wrong and what can I do please?

This happened on my 100mbit work connection from BBC streaming,
although I haven't noticed it at all recently. You can stream from BBC
on a 512kb connection reliably.

I would mirror Hiram's statement - try a different station. You can
find loads on www.shoutcast.com to experiment.

As I told Hiram, I have to no avail. I have been told it might be
something using my bandwith, what programme would not only check out
what was using it but could even disconnect it, is it possible. I have a
program call Nat Stat Live which tells me what is happening but I cannot
interpret it and it does not tell me where my problem is.

I would download AVG anti-virus (www.grisoft.com) and run a scan with
that. You might find something McAfee hasn't detected. Also check for
spyware. Either is possibly using your bandwidth.
Old February 21st 05, 12:43 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Richard Sobey

On Fri, 18 Feb 2005 21:09:00 +0000, Derrick Fawsitt
wrote:

In message , Richard Sobey
writes
wrote:

My Internet Radio streaming goes in and out, keeps buffering every few
seconds. I have 2mb ADSL and have used other programmes to stream to no
avail. I have disable my McAfee anti-virus also to no avail, what could
be wrong and what can I do please?

This happened on my 100mbit work connection from BBC streaming,
although I haven't noticed it at all recently. You can stream from BBC
on a 512kb connection reliably.

I would mirror Hiram's statement - try a different station. You can
find loads on www.shoutcast.com to experiment.

As I told Hiram, I have to no avail. I have been told it might be
something using my bandwith, what programme would not only check out
what was using it but could even disconnect it, is it possible. I have a
program call Nat Stat Live which tells me what is happening but I cannot
interpret it and it does not tell me where my problem is.

What model is your router, if applicable. Some (although I can't say
which) have trouble with holding onto a NAT streaming connection.
Something like that anyway. As a fix you could try upgrading it to the
latest firmware.

If it's not a router, then I have no other ideas, sorry!
Old February 21st 05, 09:18 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Derrick Fawsitt

hiIn message , Richard Sobey
writes
On Fri, 18 Feb 2005 21:09:00 +0000, Derrick Fawsitt
wrote:

In message , Richard Sobey
writes
wrote:

[...]

Hi Richard.

Sorry, it not a router, its a Binatone ADSL 500 USB Modem provided by
PlusNet.
However, I seem to have found its McAfee that is interfering with my
Internet Radio having turned everything in McAfee off and then
reinstalling Winamp. This gave me back perfect streaming radio until I
rebooted my PC thereby switching on McAfee and my streaming was as bad
as ever.
I cannot see what I have to adjust in McAfee and their website is
terrible and even though I registered for their forums I am unable to
post a query, what a dreadful service.
Can anyone help me either throw out McAfee having paid Fifty pounds for
it, and/or download AVG which I had before or some similar anti virus
program.
--
Derrick Fawsitt
Old February 22nd 05, 02:41 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Derrick Fawsitt

In message , Derrick Fawsitt
writes
My Internet Radio streaming goes in and out, keeps buffering every few
seconds. I have 2mb ADSL and have used other programmes to stream to no
avail. I have disable my McAfee anti-virus also to no avail, what could
be wrong and what can I do please?

I have finally contacted McAfee and anyone else out there who may be
having the same problem with McAfee Security Centre Version 6 might like
to know the following.

The Privacy Service is/was the cause of my problem in that it interfered
with Streaming Internet radio. This means that anyone out there who like
live streaming radio should not use McAfee Security suite unless they do
not install the Privacy Service when they are installing the McAfee
Security Suite at the start. Unfortunately I have now disable the
Privacy Service and reinstalled Winamp but I know when I reboot my PC
later it will once again switch on the wretched Privacy Service. I have
asked them to let me know how to stop Privacy Service from kicking in
every time I start up my PC and would you believe it, they did not
immediately know how to do it so they are going to email me later with
detailed instructions as to how to do it.
I am aware that I could UN-install the Suite and reinstall it without
selecting the Privacy Service but since I was told that McAfee was only
effective when loaded on a PC before most other programs I am loath to
do that. Perhaps someone out there can tell me how to do it before
McAfee comes back to me, if they ever do.
--
Derrick Fawsitt
Old February 22nd 05, 04:06 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Richard Sobey

On Tue, 22 Feb 2005 14:41:02 +0000, Derrick Fawsitt
wrote:

I have
asked them to let me know how to stop Privacy Service from kicking in
every time I start up my PC and would you believe it, they did not
immediately know how to do it so they are going to email me later with
detailed instructions as to how to do it.
I am aware that I could UN-install the Suite and reinstall it without
selecting the Privacy Service but since I was told that McAfee was only
effective when loaded on a PC before most other programs I am loath to
do that. Perhaps someone out there can tell me how to do it before
McAfee comes back to me, if they ever do.

The usual way to do this would be to go into Control Panel
Add/Remove Programs, find the entry for McAfee and press Change. You
should be able to uninstall only the privacy option.

The person who told you it's only effective if you install it before
other programs was telling you a half truth. You need to have it
protecting your system as early as possible, and it's true that some
viruses/spyware may stop the software installing successfully. If
you're worried, run a full scan, then (only necessary if the above
step didn't work) uninstall then reinstall straight away. You may need
a reboot first.

Hope this helps..