Draytek Vigor 2600G Security

Old February 18th 05, 05:33 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Jeff Gaines

Default Draytek Vigor 2600G Security

I have just installed my Vigor 2600G and it appears to be working fine.

I have a laptop connected via a wireless connection. I have set up 128
bit WEP and also enabled access control using the MAC address of my
wireless PCMCIA card.

What would a hacker need to do to spoof the MAC address of my wireless
card?

If it's difficult to spoof the address do I need WEP or WPA as well as
access control?

If so, I understand that WPA is more secure, does it also carry an
overhead like WEP? (I have a good strong wireless signal so the
overhead doesn't appear to be an issue).

I have set the Vigor to do a time check once an hour - is it possible
to use the time from the Draytek for the PC's on the network?

Many thanks.

--
Jeff Gaines
Posted with XanaNews 1.17.2.7
Old February 18th 05, 05:43 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Hiram Hackenbacker

John Naismith wrote:

If so, I understand that WPA is more secure, does it also carry an
overhead like WEP?

Yes it does (more than WEP) and you're likely to find it problematical
on the Draytek kit - just about everyone else I know has anyway.

Whereas I have found no problems with using WPA on the 2600.
Old February 18th 05, 07:33 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
TheDragon

I didn't think WPA was available on the 2600 series. I got a 2600W, and
would like WPA

Old February 18th 05, 08:43 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Hiram Hackenbacker

TheDragon wrote:
I didn't think WPA was available on the 2600 series. I got a 2600W, and
would like WPA

It doesn't even seem that a future firmware upgrades will add it - which
is a shame.

Old February 18th 05, 08:51 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Jeff Gaines

On 18/02/2005 Grant wrote:

"Jeff Gaines" wrote in message

I have set the Vigor to do a time check once an hour - is it
possible to use the time from the Draytek for the PC's on the
network?

As others have said, nope. But why not get each PC to sync with a NTP
server on the 'net? I use this nifty little freeware app to do it:

http://www.arachnoid.com/abouttime/index.html

Thanks for the link Grant, I've filed it for reference :-)

I was just trying to avoid each PC on my home network rushing off to
get its own time, but I guess 4 PC's won't clog up the Internet...

--
Jeff Gaines
Posted with XanaNews 1.17.2.7
Old February 18th 05, 09:10 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Hiram Hackenbacker

Brian Morrison wrote:
Hiram Hackenbacker wrote:

TheDragon wrote:

I didn't think WPA was available on the 2600 series. I got a 2600W,
and would like WPA

It doesn't even seem that a future firmware upgrades will add it -
which is a shame.

But not too surprising given that there is only so much CPU horsepower
available and encryption in software is fairly CPU intensive.

I hope that is the reason - rather than some marketing decision to
shorten their effective life.

Is WPA really much more processor intensive than WEP?

Old February 19th 05, 03:09 AM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Martin²

John Naismith:
2600V is underpowered IMHO so you will have problems.

--
Surely the 2600V is essentially the same as 2600, so, if not handling any
VoIP traffic it will perform the same.

Old February 19th 05, 10:54 AM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
TheDragon

Yes there are lost of things the 2600 series lack. WPA is just one. NTP
server, another. Load throttling another. The List goes on.

Old February 19th 05, 06:40 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Andrew Hodgson

On Fri, 18 Feb 2005 19:33:54 -0000, "TheDragon"
wrote:

I didn't think WPA was available on the 2600 series. I got a 2600W, and
would like WPA

Not on that model no. I think its nearing the end of its life now,
probably with no new features. However, you can get a decent 54g WAP
with WPA for quite cheap on Ebay now.

Andrew.
My Email: use andrew at hodgsonfamily dot org.