AOL Broadband problem

Old February 18th 05, 07:31 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Dale Harper

Default AOL Broadband problem

Hi I have a problem with sister in laws connection to AOL Broadband, the
connection cannot be made when the filter is plugged in , I have changed the
filters round, the modem does have to be connected via a 8 or 9 meter cable,
would this cause the connection to be lost when the filter is connected ?

TIA

Dale

Old February 18th 05, 08:36 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
:::Jerry::::

"Dale Harper" wrote in message
Hi I have a problem with sister in laws connection to AOL Broadband, the
connection cannot be made when the filter is plugged in , I have changed

the
filters round, the modem does have to be connected via a 8 or 9 meter

cable,
would this cause the connection to be lost when the filter is connected ?

Err, the filter goes between the PHONE and LINE, not modem and line.

If the filter is fitted between line and modem ADSL will never work in a
million years as the filter is filtering out the ADSL feed !

Old February 18th 05, 09:49 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
kim

"Dale Harper" wrote in message
Hi I have a problem with sister in laws connection to AOL Broadband, the
connection cannot be made when the filter is plugged in , I have changed
the filters round, the modem does have to be connected via a 8 or 9 meter
cable, would this cause the connection to be lost when the filter is
connected ?

I use the filter on the end of a 10 meter cable with no problems.

(kim)

Old February 18th 05, 11:21 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
BIGEYE

"Dale Harper" wrote in message
Hi I have a problem with sister in laws connection to AOL Broadband, the
connection cannot be made when the filter is plugged in , I have changed
the filters round, the modem does have to be connected via a 8 or 9 meter
cable, would this cause the connection to be lost when the filter is
connected ?

TIA

Dale

Plug the filter into the phone socket on the wall. Plug your extension into
the modem port of the filter. Plug the modem into the other end of the
extension. If you have a telephone, this plugs into the phone port of the
filter.
Another way, plug extension into phone socket on wall, plug filter into the
other end of your extension. N.B. the connector that goes into the wall
socket.
Plug the modem into the modem port of the filter, plug the phone into the
phone port of the filter.
Couldn't be easier.
Hint - get another ISP!

Old February 19th 05, 12:14 AM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Bob Eager

On Fri, 18 Feb 2005 23:57:38 UTC, "Dale Harper"
top posted:

The filter is plugged into the (BT) phone socket , the extension lead is
plugged into that, the extension lead is plugged into the adsl modem, this
does not connect, if I unplug the filter and plug the extension lead
straight into the (BT) phone socket then I can connect ?

If the ADSL modem is connected through a filter, it won't work. It's the
OTHER equipment that needs a filter.

You can of course connect the ADSL modem through a filter that provides
both filtered and unfiltered outputs (e.g. the ones that screw to the
master socket). But of course you must use the unfiltered output.

If you filter the connection to an ADSL modem, you are filtering out the
ADSL signal.

Old February 19th 05, 12:19 AM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
:::Jerry::::

"Dale Harper" wrote in message
Hi

The filter is plugged into the (BT) phone socket , the extension lead is
plugged into that, the extension lead is plugged into the adsl modem, this
does not connect, if I unplug the filter and plug the extension lead
straight into the (BT) phone socket then I can connect ?

Any ideas ?

Sounds like either a faulty filter or as I said originally, you are
filtering the ADSL feed (which will never work!).

Old February 19th 05, 06:23 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
kim

"Dale Harper" wrote in message
Hi

The filter is plugged into the (BT) phone socket , the extension lead is
plugged into that, the extension lead is plugged into the adsl modem, this
does not connect, if I unplug the filter and plug the extension lead
straight into the (BT) phone socket then I can connect ?

You can't plug a standard UK extension lead into the ADSL modem, it doesn't
fit! You can't use an alternate american style extension lead between the
filter and the modem either, it won't work as pointed out in the AOL
installation guide.

I have a standard 10 metre UK extension lead plugged into the BT wall
socket. The filter is plugged onto the end of that. The yellow AOL broadband
lead is plugged betwen the filter and the broadband modem. The blue lead
from the modem is plugged into the PC but only after the AOL installation
disc has been run. My phone is also plugged into the filter on the end of
the extension lead as it sits next to the PC. If I wanted to plug a phone
into the BT wall socket I would have to fit another filter.

(kim)

Old February 20th 05, 12:13 AM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
P H

"Dale Harper" wrote in message
Hi

The filter is plugged into the (BT) phone socket , the extension lead is
plugged into that, the extension lead is plugged into the adsl modem, this
does not connect, if I unplug the filter and plug the extension lead
straight into the (BT) phone socket then I can connect ?

Sounds like you are plugging the extension lead into the "phone" side of the
filter and not the "DSL" socket. Which will not work. You need to get a
doubler so that you can plug both the filter and the extension lead into the
BT socket if you need to have a phone plugged in at this point. If you don't
need a phone plugged directly into the BT point and you can live with the
phone being plugged in at the PC end of the extension lead you can do
without a filter at the BT socket end. You wouldbe just extending the BT
point to where you need it.

Phill H.

Old February 21st 05, 09:19 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Dale Harper

Thanks

Yes I realise what I had done , the ASDL line was being filtered twice ,

Thanks all

Dale