DSL Router on NTL broadband via TV set top box

Old February 18th 05, 08:49 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Josh

Default DSL Router on NTL broadband via TV set top box

My brother is about to install a DSL Router on for his NTL broadband
service delivered via his TV digital set top box.

I'm on TW with a standalone cable modem, and just wondering what the
differences are in the service - for connecting a router.

Also, on NTL, do you have to manually register the MAC address of the
router (or is it automatic like TW)?

Cheers,
Josh
Old February 19th 05, 05:06 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Jock Mackirdy

In article , Josh wrote:
My brother is about to install a DSL Router on for his NTL broadband
service delivered via his TV digital set top box.

I'm on TW with a standalone cable modem, and just wondering what the
differences are in the service - for connecting a router.

Also, on NTL, do you have to manually register the MAC address of the
router (or is it automatic like TW)?

Depending on the make of router it should configure itself when the
router is inserted between the STB and the PC. Normal practice is to
power down everything, connect it all together, then switch on STB
followed by router followed by PC. The instructions with the router
should flag up any oddities. I believe there's no need to fiddle with
manual MAC addresses now (though my Belkin router has a MAC-spoofing
process).

--

Jock Mackirdy
Bedford

Old February 19th 05, 05:43 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
kraftee

Jock Mackirdy wrote:
In article , Josh
wrote:
My brother is about to install a DSL Router on for his NTL broadband
service delivered via his TV digital set top box.

I'm on TW with a standalone cable modem, and just wondering what the
differences are in the service - for connecting a router.

Also, on NTL, do you have to manually register the MAC address of the
router (or is it automatic like TW)?

Depending on the make of router it should configure itself when the
router is inserted between the STB and the PC. Normal practice is to
power down everything, connect it all together, then switch on STB
followed by router followed by PC. The instructions with the router
should flag up any oddities. I believe there's no need to fiddle with
manual MAC addresses now (though my Belkin router has a MAC-spoofing
process).

Try reading what has been actually posted......

A DSL Router on a Cable Digi box?????

Don't think so.......

Old February 19th 05, 08:31 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Jock Mackirdy

In article , Kraftee
wrote:
Jock Mackirdy wrote:
In article , Josh
wrote:
[...]

Au contraire, provided it's a cable/DSL router like my Belkin, which goes
just fine with an NTL cable modem. Obviously a router designed for ADSL
would have a bit of a compatibility problem.

--

Jock Mackirdy
Bedford

Old February 20th 05, 12:15 AM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
kraftee

Jock Mackirdy wrote:
In article ,
Kraftee wrote:
Jock Mackirdy wrote:
In article , Josh
wrote:
[...]

But he doesn't state that he states _DSL_, no more no less..