Plus.net's New plans, who is looking elsewhere.

Old February 18th 05, 09:08 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Dave M

Default Plus.net's New plans, who is looking elsewhere.

I have just sent a ticket in to cancel my account, been with Plusnet
for around a year, didn't really have any problems till i few days
ago, when my connection was off for nearly two days, apparently BT's
fault according to them.

I asked over the phone for my MAC Code to migrate, the foreigner in
What sounded like India said you have to put a ticket in on the
website, explaining i had no Internet access to do that i slammed down
the phone in a rage.
On putting the ticket in for the MAC Code waited i few days received
back a message saying why a wanted the code and didn't give it to me.
So i sent another ticket in wanting to cancel my broadband received my
confirmation today that they are closing my line in April(quite a long
one month contract).

My final decision to cancel came when i received a e-mail out of the
blue about The fair usage system, i am a unlimited user myself, i may
have reached 50gb a month a few times on a 500Mb connection.
I run a a server from my Computer with about 3 websites and a mail
server as well as downloading some stuff from the binaries newsgroups,
mail stargate and the odd documentary.

My problem with the whole deal is the introduction of this 4Mb AND 8Mb
Service which i no i will never be able to get as i am lucky to able
to get 500Kb from the distance i am from the exchange, why the hell
are these ISP's offering this service if they cannot cope with the
limits 500Kb are putting on them.

You here on the TV about how all the wonderful things broadband is
going to bring like films on demand, how much is this eventually going
to cost the consumer.

I am now on the lookout for an ISP who offers Static IP no limits on
downloads free or low connection fees, good reliability, and monthly
contracts.
Any recommendations.
Old February 18th 05, 09:21 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Andy Hewitt

Dave M wrote:

[...]

In which case you have no reason to be complaining, I suggest you read
the terms and conditions:

50.3 The use of the Service to run open servers, such as SMTP relay, web
proxy, and NNTP is prohibited. We define an open server being one which
can be connected to over the Internet by hosts not in a trusted list.

--
Andy Hewitt ** FAF#1, (Ex-OSOS#5) - FJ1200 ABS
Honda Civic 16v: Windows free zone (Mac G5 Dual Processor)
Old February 18th 05, 09:26 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
kraftee

Dave M wrote:
[...]

Sorry to say, but I personally think you're jumping a tad early & should
have waited for a couple of months after this comes to fruition. Firstly
it's not PN who are driving the MaxDSL but BT & if you stick with ADSL
unless you're one of the few you're stuck with BT via which ever ISP you use
& the impact of MaxDSL has yet to be seen. As for Bandwidth usage at the
moment PN are saying that they will only cap/limit/bobble cap your download
bandwidth not upload so it may not have affected you at all.

My contract runs out around 3 months after PN implement their new (sorry
it's not new it's a clarification of the existing T&C........yeah right)
which is advantageous as it will give me 3 months to see what my usage is
shown as on their buggy bandwidth monitor & also give me a chance to see
what other ISP's are doing about BT's change of policy.

By the way, no I don't agree with the way that PN have gone about things, in
fact I'm one of the very disatisfied whiners on the internal group but I'm
not going to pay to sign up for another ISP (plus paying the default
payments for leaving early) without being sure that I'm not just jumping
from one frying pan into another.

As for a simple answer to your question the only no limits ISP I'd think
about going with is ZEN but all that could change after April after BT
changes it's pricing/charging policies & it's not cheap (slightly more
expensive than PN)...

Old February 18th 05, 09:34 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Colin Wilson

My final decision to cancel came when i received a e-mail out of the
blue about The fair usage system snip
I run a a server from my Computer with about 3 websites and a mail
server as well as downloading some stuff from the binaries newsgroups,
mail stargate and the odd documentary.
Any recommendations.

Get business hosting, and pay proper rates.

Old February 18th 05, 10:28 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Dr Teeth

On Fri, 18 Feb 2005 21:26:42 -0000, "kraftee" [email protected]&
die.com wrote:

As for a simple answer to your question the only no limits ISP I'd think
about going with is ZEN but all that could change after April after BT
changes it's pricing/charging policies & it's not cheap (slightly more
expensive than PN)...

I'm off to Zen as soon as my 20:1 home 2Mb ADSL has been regraded to
50:1. For my usage, I'll save s as I'd have to go for the 65
option IIRC.
--
Cheers,

Guy

Old February 18th 05, 10:35 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
:::Jerry::::

"Andy Hewitt" wrote in message
et...

snip

Howdy, Andy, how's life treating you up north ?

All the best.
Jerry (J.L.E).

Old February 18th 05, 10:43 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Ian Stirling

Andy Hewitt wrote:
Dave M wrote:

[...]

I think this is a badly written clause that was intended to mean
"abusable open servers".

Adding ", and that then allows the user to make requests to the site of
their choice." or somtething, to the end might work better.
Old February 18th 05, 11:00 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Dr Teeth

On Fri, 18 Feb 2005 22:00:37 +0000, Alex Heney
wrote:

When you find a planet where all that is on offer, please let the rest
of us know where it is.

www.zen.co.uk
--
Cheers,