Anyone had any problems with DG834 router?

Old February 18th 05, 09:23 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Kolicha

Default Anyone had any problems with DG834 router?

Hi, I was just wondering, has anyone here who has/had a Netgear DG834 router
had any problems with it?

Thanks

Old February 18th 05, 09:38 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Muxton

On Fri, 18 Feb 2005 21:23:36 -0000, "Kolicha"
wrote:

Hi, I was just wondering, has anyone here who has/had a Netgear DG834 router
had any problems with it?

Thanks

Depends what sort of problem you mean. Used to use a DG834 and had
several problems with it. Ended up talking directly to Netgear's UK
technology manager as it baffled him too.

Main problem was several seconds of packet loss every 5(ish) minutes.
Absolute killer for VPN and terminal sessions.

Jake

Old February 18th 05, 11:11 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
jelv

wrote:

Hi, I was just wondering, has anyone here who has/had a Netgear DG834 router
had any problems with it?

Depends what sort of problem you mean. Used to use a DG834 and had
several problems with it. Ended up talking directly to Netgear's UK
technology manager as it baffled him too.

Main problem was several seconds of packet loss every 5(ish) minutes.
Absolute killer for VPN and terminal sessions.

I use this router at home and work and haven't had any problems with it.
For example I was using VPN constantly for most of today and it never
hiccuped once. When I've seen discussions about this router in the past
it seemed that it was perhaps a little suspect at the margins of line
quality. The figures for both of my setups are very good which is
perhaps why it has been trouble free for me.

--
John
Old February 19th 05, 12:10 AM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Muxton

wrote:

Hi, I was just wondering, has anyone here who has/had a Netgear DG834 router
had any problems with it?

Depends what sort of problem you mean. Used to use a DG834 and had
several problems with it. Ended up talking directly to Netgear's UK
technology manager as it baffled him too.

Main problem was several seconds of packet loss every 5(ish) minutes.
Absolute killer for VPN and terminal sessions.

I use this router at home and work and haven't had any problems with it.
For example I was using VPN constantly for most of today and it never
hiccuped once. When I've seen discussions about this router in the past
it seemed that it was perhaps a little suspect at the margins of line
quality. The figures for both of my setups are very good which is
perhaps why it has been trouble free for me.

The problem I experienced with a DG834 was really odd, and may have
been down to a problem with the actual router, and maybe not the
firmware, hence the engagement with the techie chap from Netgear. The
evidence of the problem that I presented was irrefutable, but the
general experience across the user base didn't support it.

I have a DG834G at home, and it runs perfectly, even on the beta
firmware that it's running now. Having said that, it didn't work too
well on the last known stable firmware version. Ho hum.

Jake

Old February 19th 05, 01:32 AM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
MM

"Kolicha" wrote in message
Hi, I was just wondering, has anyone here who has/had a Netgear DG834
router
had any problems with it?

Thanks

I have one of the early ones...had the occasional wireless dropout in the
1.03.00 firmware, since then no probs. Its been running 24/7 downloading
stuff for over a year now. The only time it goes off is when I change
something/network outages etc..my ISP is BT Yahoo. Im running the 2.10.09
beta firmware now, 1.05.00 before that.

Old February 19th 05, 03:26 AM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Martin²

Over the past 20 months or so there were / are dozens and dozens of post
here and on alt.internet.wireless of people having problems, starting with
setting up, firmware updates (frequent, usually introducing new bugs) and
having to re-boot on daily basis. Almost all find the phone / email support
near enough useless.
But every time there are few people swearing that theirs work perfectly.
Mine didn't work at, and after a weeks struggle with support I returned it
and will never touch Netgear kit again.
You will have to make up your mind if you want cheap router or peace of
mind.
Regards,
Martin

Old February 19th 05, 11:39 AM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Peter R Cook

In message , Kolicha
writes
Hi, I was just wondering, has anyone here who has/had a Netgear DG834 router
had any problems with it?

Thanks

I've had an 834G for about a year. I only use the wireless functions
intermittently (Good weather, working in the garden!)

It arrived with 1.03 Firmware, and I upgraded to 1.04.
I had no problems at all on a 512K line.

I upgraded to 1Meg in Aug/Sept. The router started to randomly re-boot
once or twice per day.

I see line statistics of
ADSL Link Downstream Upstream
Connection Speed 1152 kbps 288 kbps
Line Attenuation 40 db 12 db
Noise Margin 22 db 30 db

Consensus seems to be that the ADSL firmware had a bug that rebooted the
router intermittently when Line attenuation exceeded 40db at 1Meg speeds
(suspected to be a counter overflow)

Since upgrading to the V1.10.10 firmware the router has been rock solid.
--
Peter R Cook
Old February 19th 05, 01:09 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Muxton

On Sat, 19 Feb 2005 11:39:32 +0000, Peter R Cook
wrote:

In message , Kolicha
writes
[...]

I think the OP's asking about the 834, not the 834G.

Jake

Old February 19th 05, 03:43 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Peter R Cook

In message , Muxton
writes
On Sat, 19 Feb 2005 11:39:32 +0000, Peter R Cook
wrote:

In message , Kolicha
writes
[...]

Fair enough, but they use the same ADSL and Ethernet switch hardware.
Both use the same firmware releases, and seem to have had the same set
of problems. As far as I can tell the 834G is simply an 834 with
wireless access point hardware.

--
Peter R Cook
Old February 19th 05, 04:20 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Kolicha

"Muxton" wrote in message
On Sat, 19 Feb 2005 11:39:32 +0000, Peter R Cook
wrote:

In message , Kolicha
writes
[...]

Yeah I am asking about the wired one, however the wireless one maybe
similar?

Anyway thanks everyone for your comments.