Getting ready for activation day

Old February 19th 05, 02:17 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Mike NG

Default Getting ready for activation day

Can we plug the microfilter in for the telephone socket or must we wait
for live date.

Also, emails says you will be activated anywhere up to 5pm on activation
day. If we are online via dialup, then activation occurred whilst
online, would the dialup just drop? I guess if the answer to para 1 is
"Yes", then I can plug in the other microfilter now ready
--
Mike
Please post replies to newsgroup to benefit others
Old February 19th 05, 02:42 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Andy Burns

Mike NG wrote:

Can we plug the microfilter in for the telephone socket or must we wait
for live date.

I had my filter and router plugged in "early" on the Friday before my
target activation time of "Monday pm".

As it happened I was online via modem at the time, and heard the modem
relay click offline and attempt to redial, only to hear several
click/pulse noises on the line before it did get dial tone and
reconnected successfuly.

Once I twigged what had happened I checked and the ADSL router had
synched up and connected ;-)
Old February 19th 05, 02:45 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Conor

In article , Mike NG says...
Can we plug the microfilter in for the telephone socket or must we wait
for live date.

Also, emails says you will be activated anywhere up to 5pm on activation
day. If we are online via dialup, then activation occurred whilst
online, would the dialup just drop?

1) Yes.
2) No.

--
Conor

-- George Patton
Old February 19th 05, 02:54 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
David Bradley

On Sat, 19 Feb 2005 14:17:38 +0000, Mike NG wrote:

Can we plug the microfilter in for the telephone socket or must we wait
for live date.

Also, emails says you will be activated anywhere up to 5pm on activation
day. If we are online via dialup, then activation occurred whilst
online, would the dialup just drop? I guess if the answer to para 1 is
"Yes", then I can plug in the other microfilter now ready

Against my advice a friend of mine signed up for a well known Broadband provider. I was staggered to
learn that 10 days later he was still yet to be "on line".

What have been the recent experiences of new entrants into Broadband of the time taken to execute
their request? How easy was it to order Broadband and who did they go with?

David Bradley

Old February 19th 05, 03:40 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
John

Against my advice a friend of mine signed up for a well known Broadband provider. I was staggered to
learn that 10 days later he was still yet to be "on line".

What have been the recent experiences of new entrants into Broadband of the time taken to execute
their request? How easy was it to order Broadband and who did they go with?

David Bradley

I have placed orders with Metronet, Zen and Wanadoo in the last ten days
and all have been activated on day 5(excl Sat/Sun) (order day is day 1).
Might have been activated before that but not tested. Metronet has
worked to this timescale certainly for the last few months as has Zen.
Wanadoo seems more variable.

JP
Old February 19th 05, 03:45 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
kraftee

Conor wrote:
In article , Mike NG says...
Can we plug the microfilter in for the telephone socket or must we
wait for live date.

Also, emails says you will be activated anywhere up to 5pm on
activation day. If we are online via dialup, then activation
occurred whilst online, would the dialup just drop?

1) Yes.
2) No.

Sorry but 2) is yes the dialup would drop, as the line is actually
disconnected for a short time whilst the ADSL is wired into the circuit....

Old February 19th 05, 04:31 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Mark

"David Bradley" wrote in message
What have been the recent experiences of new entrants into Broadband
of the time taken to execute
their request? How easy was it to order Broadband and who did they go
with?

I recently signed up with EFH Broadband and had an activation date set
for 7 days. 2 days before activation date I noticed the ADSL light
had appeared on my router. Being new to broadband I rang EFH to enquire
what this meant and whilst on the phone they did whatever they do at
their end and my connection immediately went live

Old February 19th 05, 08:25 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Oliver Walter

"David Bradley" wrote in message
What have been the recent experiences of new entrants into

Broadband of the time taken to execute
their request? How easy was it to order Broadband and who did

they go with?

I placed an order with Metronet on Sat 12 Feb. To order from them
you have to create an "account" control panel, and then (any time
later: several days in my case) use it to place an order. They
accept orders this way, and not by telephone.
Their email of 18 Feb said the line would be converted to ADSL on
Monday 21. In fact it was converted today Sat 19th.
I found out because the phone bell (I still have one!) made a "ding"
twice (few seconds' interval) in the middle of the day. I had
installed my microfilters several days before, and connected a
router to the PC (but not yet to the phone line). When a phone was
plugged in bypassing the microfilter, the expected extra background
noise was audible, and virtually undetectable when the phone was
plugged in to the microfilter phone socket.
So I tried to make the ADSL connection and, after a tiny bit of
fiddling with settings in the router, it worked.

Note: the Metronet basic service includes the physical ADSL
connection to the Internet and a news-server is available, but it
does not include email (you can send email but not receive) or Web
space. For the time being I'm using my dial-up account with ClaraNet
for receiving and collecting email (from the Metronet ADSL
connection: I don't need to dial Clara to do this, so I'm changing
that account to a cheaper type that I'll only dial occasionally).
Later options include separate services offered by Metronet (e.g.
port995 or pay-as-you-host) or a hosting service that gives email
and web space (for my own domain name) but no Internet connection.
I'm still thinking about those.

Oliver

Old February 19th 05, 08:57 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Mike NG

On Sat, 19 Feb 2005 at 15:45:40, kraftee (kraftee
) wrote:
Conor wrote:
In article , Mike NG says...
Can we plug the microfilter in for the telephone socket or must we
wait for live date.

Also, emails says you will be activated anywhere up to 5pm on
activation day. If we are online via dialup, then activation
occurred whilst online, would the dialup just drop?

1) Yes.
2) No.

Sorry but 2) is yes the dialup would drop, as the line is actually
disconnected for a short time whilst the ADSL is wired into the circuit....

Thanks all. That will be perfect for the g/f. I can just plug in the
microfilters and she'll be OK