Phone extension cable for broadband connection.

Old February 19th 05, 10:03 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
chipshop

Default Phone extension cable for broadband connection.

Greetings all.
I need some advice please.

I'm buying a Netgear DG834G V2 ADSL Wireless router and a couple of
Netgear WG311 wireless PCI adapters. My computers are upstairs..but the
BT phone plug is downstairs near the front door. What kind of cable will
I need, from the plug to the router, in order to receive the best
quality broadband connection possible?

I'm thinking of Belkin F3L903u30-BLK 9.1m RJ11 to BT Internet Modem
Cable..or Belkin F3L900-25-ICE-S 7.6m RJ11 to RJ11 Internet Modem Cable
from BroadbandBuyer.

Any opinions/advice is greatly appreciated!

Many thanks...
ChipShop
Old February 19th 05, 10:57 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
lurch

On Sat, 19 Feb 2005 22:03:35 +0000, chipshop
strung together this:

Any opinions/advice is greatly appreciated!

Use any decent cable. Most people would recommend Cat5e cable but in
most cases a standard telephone extension from Wickes would suffice.
I've never had a problem with decently connected phone cable, depends
how marginal you may or may not be on the line quality stakes.
--

SJW
Old February 20th 05, 01:19 AM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
kim

"chipshop" wrote in message
Greetings all.
I need some advice please.

I'm buying a Netgear DG834G V2 ADSL Wireless router and a couple of
Netgear WG311 wireless PCI adapters. My computers are upstairs..but the BT
phone plug is downstairs near the front door. What kind of cable will I
need, from the plug to the router, in order to receive the best quality
broadband connection possible?

I've never had any problems using a standard 10 metre extension lead
purchased from the Co-Op.

(kim)

Old February 20th 05, 01:53 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
-halli-

"chipshop" wrote in message
Greetings all.
I need some advice please.

I'm buying a Netgear DG834G V2 ADSL Wireless router and a couple of
Netgear WG311 wireless PCI adapters. My computers are upstairs..but the
BT phone plug is downstairs near the front door. What kind of cable will
I need, from the plug to the router, in order to receive the best
quality broadband connection possible?

I'm thinking of Belkin F3L903u30-BLK 9.1m RJ11 to BT Internet Modem
Cable..or Belkin F3L900-25-ICE-S 7.6m RJ11 to RJ11 Internet Modem Cable
from BroadbandBuyer.

Any opinions/advice is greatly appreciated!

Are you putting the wireless router upstairs? I was going to get a wireless
router and just put it in the hall where the main BT box is, using the cable
that came with it. After all, isn't that what wireless is all about?
Granted, my study is only a few metres away on the same floor, and if I need
to do anything "hard wired" with the box using USB or Ethernet I can take
the laptop to it. However, I can get a good signal at the bottom of the back
garden with my current WIFI cards running in ADHOC mode (20-30M through
walls).

Sorry if I have misunderstood your post. I have visions of you trailing a
phone cable around the house to get a WIFI router next to your computers.

-halli-

Old February 20th 05, 06:53 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
chipshop

-halli- wrote:
"chipshop" wrote in message

[...]

Thanks for your reply Halli..

The main problem is my destructive little children.
I need to be able to lock the router away in my room upstairs,away from
inquisitive, prying little hands. It's the only place in the house they
have no access too unless I'm at home.

I'd rather have to replace a cable than an expensive router. In any
case, I think I may have found the answer he

http://www.cabling4less.co.uk/Teleph...s_Adaptors.php

Many thanks..
chipshop
Old February 20th 05, 07:38 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
-halli-

"chipshop" wrote in message
-halli- wrote:
"chipshop" wrote in message

[...]

Ah, yes, I have two of those as well!

No chance of a cabinet in the hall? or a high shelf? - my choice for when I
go for the wireless router. Until then it's ADHOC and analogx proxy to share
the connection for me! (and a telephone line into the study)

-halli-