UKOnline 8000 experiences?

Old February 20th 05, 01:03 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Majuran Manohasandra

Default UKOnline 8000 experiences?

Hello all!

I'm thinking about migging to UKOnline in the next few days (have had my MAC
code sorted for about 15 days now so its getting to the time I should be
thinking of ordering).

I was just wondering if anyone had already migrated to the 8000kbit/s
service and what their thoughts were? I've been reading a few horror stories
on ADSLguide of people going from nice solid 230kbytes/s on Pipex 2Mb to
20-30 on UKOnline 2Mb and its scaring me a bit...

Thanks for your help,

Maj

Old February 22nd 05, 04:58 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Pete.

I'm on the 8Mb, have been for about a month now, and while we don't actually
connect at 8Mb (usually about 7.2Mb, which I put down to the phone sockets
in our house) it is very very quick. The theoretical max for a 7 meg
connection would be about 900kB/s download speed, we don't get that, it
usually tops out at about 600kB/s which I guess is down to contention, and
just slow net speed.
There are occasional drop-outs, slightly more than I used to get with BT
Yahoo, but all we need to do is restart the router and it's usually fine.

All in all, I think it's a great service, and for the price is a bargain.