New BB install and BT "Master" socket

Old February 21st 05, 04:46 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Peter Crosland

Default New BB install and BT "Master" socket

A non computer literate friend has asked me to arrange broadband for him. I
took a look at the BT "Master" socket that is a small one with the wiring to
extensions set into the plaster. This was installed before he moved in. At
present the line is noisy (I used the 17070 quiet line test) with crackling
and AC (probably) hum. BT have done some work on the underground part of the
line but have not resolved the problem. I am concerned that if he signs up
with an ISP it may cause problems particularly as there is no way to legally
isolate the wiring to the extensions. BT seem reluctant to fit an NTE5
master socket. The BT line checker facility reports that an engineer visit
will be required for a 1MB connection. Am I correct in thinking that BT
would do a free of charge change of the master socket at this visit? I cant
see how the user can be expected to do any meaningful tests should he need
to isolate the non BT wiring. Would any BT engineers like to comment? TIA.

Peter Crosland

Old February 21st 05, 06:42 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Simon

The BT line checker facility reports that an engineer visit
will be required for a 1MB connection. Am I correct in thinking that BT
would do a free of charge change of the master socket at this visit?

I got the same result in the checker but never got a knock at my door by an
engineer and it still got set up within 7 days of ordering. My line has a
61db noise level so just over for 1mb but it works fine and never
dissconnects.

Simon.