DG834G and AOL 9.0 unable to browse the Web

Old February 21st 05, 10:40 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Dom

Default DG834G and AOL 9.0 unable to browse the Web

I needed to install a Netgear Wireless Router Firewall at a customers
home who uses AOL for ISP connectivity. I configured the router using
the persons master AOL account and ran connectivity tests. The router
connects successfully, this is verified by the router connection
status and AOL techncial support who can see it connected their end.
The problem is you cannot browse the Internet. I ran a traceroute to
an external IP address and the router drops at an AOL router. AOL
technical support couldn't help resolve this issue, I have a case
still open with them. If I reconnect a BT ADSL modem the connection
and browsing is fine.

To troubleshoot further, I disabled the XP firewall, tested the
connection by connecting my laptop directly into the switch on the
router and created an inbound rule Any - all local IP addresses on the
router/firewall.

I'm thinking this is surely an AOL issue? But having read some posts
here it could be the firmware on the Netgear router....just not sure.
I'm wishing the customer went along with our original recommendation
of using Cisco routers with an ISP other than AOL.

Anyone else experienced similar problems?
cheers
Dom
Old February 21st 05, 10:51 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Gareth :-\\\) voom

"Dom" wrote in message
m...
[...]

Have you changed the MTU size to 1400 in your control panel? I had some
problem when I first signed up and was told to go into the WAN option and
enter 1400 in the MTU box.

Also you should be using a spare AOL screenname for the router as you can't
log in via the router and AOL on the same screenname.

Old February 24th 05, 08:14 AM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
David

On Mon, 21 Feb 2005 22:51:34 -0000, "Gareth :-\\\) voom"
wrote:

"Dom" wrote in message
om...
[...]

I've done a few recently with the DG834G. Run the wizard which will do
all the correct settings and when asked for the screen name make sure
you add @aol.com after the screen name. I have found that it will work
with the MTU at the default 1458 but you are unable to view secure web
pages. Change to 1400 and no problems. As the previous poster stated
create a new screen name for the router.

David.
Old February 25th 05, 01:10 AM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Simon Zerafa

Hi,

You may need to configure the Router for PPPoE, (NOT PPPoA) to make use of
this form of connection on AOL.

You might need to check how the customers AOL line is setup, if they have an
older PPPoA config, then connecting via a router may not work.

Check the AOL Broadband CD and USB Modem drivers they were sent to see if
they have PPPoA or PPPoE.

Regards

Old February 27th 05, 09:48 AM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
T i m

wrote:

Anyone else experienced similar problems?
cheers
Dom

Have you changed the MTU size to 1400 in your control panel? I had some
problem when I first signed up and was told to go into the WAN option and
enter 1400 in the MTU box.

I did just that with a friend who had his friend set up a router on
AOL BB for him. He could browse *most* of the web but couldn't get to
certain places. Turned out it was the MTU (and another?) not set to
1400 ;-)

Also you should be using a spare AOL screenname for the router as you can't
log in via the router and AOL on the same screenname.

The friend had set the router to connect as his wifes AOL account ..?

I still don't 'like' AOL .. because it's 'non standard' and that
frontend (or is is a virus / spyware) sigh .. ;-)

T i m
Old March 9th 05, 08:15 AM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Dom

"Simon Zerafa" wrote in message ...
Hi,

You may need to configure the Router for PPPoE, (NOT PPPoA) to make use of
this form of connection on AOL.

You might need to check how the customers AOL line is setup, if they have an
older PPPoA config, then connecting via a router may not work.

Check the AOL Broadband CD and USB Modem drivers they were sent to see if
they have PPPoA or PPPoE.

Regards

The fix for this was to create a new AOL account (screen name) i.e
with full access and use that on the Netgear router.

thanks for all your advice.

Dom