very slow ADSL - whose problem ?

Old February 22nd 05, 01:23 AM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
brugnospamsia

Default very slow ADSL - whose problem ?

Dear group,

A colleague has just self-installed a Homecall package and tells me it takes
tens of minutes to get any web page to load. My guess is there's something
wrong with the modem or the copper between him and the exchange whereas he
has paid 30 quid so far to have "Technical Support" tell him he has
"spyware" from his dialup days.

The machine is problem free otherwise, but I will be helping him eliminate
spyware and worm problems just in case.

Who does he contact to have the phone connection checked ?

Not having ADSL myself, and since the connection is so dependent on local
circumstances, I wonder why the ISP didn't supply installation software that
diagnoses such problems ...

Should he demand a replacement modem or contact BT ?

thanks ...

Jeremy, Bristol

Old February 22nd 05, 08:11 AM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Hiram Hackenbacker

brugnospamsia wrote:
Dear group,

A colleague has just self-installed a Homecall package and tells me it takes
tens of minutes to get any web page to load. My guess is there's something
wrong with the modem or the copper between him and the exchange whereas he
has paid 30 quid so far to have "Technical Support" tell him he has
"spyware" from his dialup days.

The machine is problem free otherwise, but I will be helping him eliminate
spyware and worm problems just in case.

Who does he contact to have the phone connection checked ?

Not having ADSL myself, and since the connection is so dependent on local
circumstances, I wonder why the ISP didn't supply installation software that
diagnoses such problems ...

Should he demand a replacement modem or contact BT ?

The key here is the virus/spyware issue. Until that machine is clean -
and that means using up to date signatures - I wouldn't bother worrying
about copper.

Report back when the machine has been cleaned/checked with details of
the OS, modem, etc.

Old February 22nd 05, 08:50 AM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Colin Wilson

....paid 30 quid so far to have "Technical Support" tell him he has
"spyware" from his dialup days.
The machine is problem free otherwise, but I will be helping him eliminate
spyware and worm problems just in case.

I`ve got links and tips on removing spyware at
http://www.coreutilities.co.uk

All the files I link to are free.

Be wary about many "anti-spyware" apps - a great many of them are not
what they purport to be:

http://spywarewarrior.com/rogue_anti-spyware.htm

Old February 22nd 05, 09:37 AM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Alastair

"brugnospamsia" wrote in message
. uk...
Dear group,

A colleague has just self-installed a Homecall package and tells me it
takes tens of minutes to get any web page to load. My guess is there's
something wrong with the modem or the copper between him and the exchange
whereas he has paid 30 quid so far to have "Technical Support" tell him he
has "spyware" from his dialup days.

Well, if we are into guessing, my guess is that spyware/worm/virus is a far
more likely cause of the problem.

Old February 22nd 05, 10:00 AM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
brugnospamsia

"Alastair" wrote in message
.. .
"brugnospamsia" wrote in message
. uk...
Dear group,

A colleague has just self-installed a Homecall package and tells me it
takes tens of minutes to get any web page to load. My guess is there's
something wrong with the modem or the copper between him and the

exchange
whereas he has paid 30 quid so far to have "Technical Support" tell him

he
has "spyware" from his dialup days.

Well, if we are into guessing, my guess is that spyware/worm/virus is a

far
more likely cause of the problem.

OK but it must be particularly crap spyware !

Thinking about it, I'd better also make sure his Windoze is service-packed
and his firewall is turned on ....

I may be back later ;-)

thanks

Jeremy

Old February 22nd 05, 04:30 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Richard Sobey

On Tue, 22 Feb 2005 11:33:16 +0000, John Naismith
wrote:

On Tue, 22 Feb 2005 09:00:18 GMT, "brugnospamsia"
wrote:

I may be back later ;-)

You will be as I doubt it has anything to do with spyware.

I've seen machines curl up and die quietly in the corner from spyware
infections. It doesn't take much and can seriously cripple your
browsing experience if it isn't controlled.

Get Ad-Aware, install it - patch it - run it in Safe Mode. Job's done.
It won't cost anything to use, and could safe hours of headache to
technical support lines. I think in this case they've been bang on the
button with their diagnosis.