Cheapest 2mb service with no activation charges

Old February 22nd 05, 11:54 AM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
cAm

Default Cheapest 2mb service with no activation charges

Hi,
which is the cheapest 2mb adsl (service for home) available at the
moment? i dont want to pay any activation charges. i will be only using
it on the weekends or late evenings so capping doesnt bother me much.

have heard about aol 2mb for 29.99 pm.
but aol, i had bad experiences before (in 2002-2003)

recommendations please!

regards
Old February 22nd 05, 01:57 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Spack

"cAm" wrote in message
Hi,
which is the cheapest 2mb adsl (service for home) available at the moment?
i dont want to pay any activation charges. i will be only using it on the
weekends or late evenings so capping doesnt bother me much.

have heard about aol 2mb for 29.99 pm.
but aol, i had bad experiences before (in 2002-2003)

recommendations please!

I've been with Pipex for nearly 3 years now on 512k, rang them just now to
request a MAC to move to Plus.net as I'm not a heavy user (I can exceed 5GB
per month, but maybe once a year I'd hit 30GB+) and 21.99 for 1/2/4/8Mbps
in the future seems ideal for me.

However, Pipex support just told me that they're releasing their pricing
details tomorrow (after I'd gone through the whole process of MAC request,
answering the questions about why I was moving, would have helped if the
first thing the customer service bloke had done when I said at the start I
wanted the MAC so I could move to Plus.net due to their pricing announcement
was to tell me Pipex would be posting new details tomorrow and saved me a 20
minute call), apparently the email went around the office about the
announcement yesterday. I'm hoping for similar offerings to Plus.net, if
they do then I'm staying with Pipex as they've been reliable since I joined
them (their Usenet servers aren't great, but I use Individual.net for that
anyway, don't need binaries).

If Pipex don't end up with anything that's as good as Plus.net, for a low
user like yourself you should look at their Lite scheme for 2Mbps @ 14.99 a
month (1GB cap), or the 512k at 30GB for 21.99 cap and then switch to 2Mbps
when they move to the new products in April.

Not paying activation charges isn't necessarily the best thing to do - why
pay 8-15 a month more for a similar service which results in your paying
more over the first year than on a cheaper service with a 58 activation
charge? Compare that AOL cost with Plus.net Lite - you end paying an extra
120 in the first year!

Dan
(awaiting the spouting rant from Dave because Plus.net was mentioned)

Old February 23rd 05, 12:10 AM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Bal

"cAm" wrote in message
Hi,
which is the cheapest 2mb adsl (service for home) available at the moment?
i dont want to pay any activation charges. i will be only using it on the
weekends or late evenings so capping doesnt bother me much.

have heard about aol 2mb for 29.99 pm.
but aol, i had bad experiences before (in 2002-2003)

recommendations please!

regards

I've just migrated from Pipex to UKonline on their 2mb service. Cost is
29.99 a month and includes a free modem which you can always flog if you
don't need it. My cost for the year works out at 27.50 as I quoted another
UKonline user as a referral source getting us both a free months rental
back. Pop over to www.ukonline.net for more details and if you want to sign
up drop us a line and we can both benefit from the referral program.

HTH

Bal

Old February 24th 05, 11:59 AM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
cAm

Bal wrote:
"cAm" wrote in message

[...]

Thanx for the replies friends.
I would rather wait till april as bt are planning to come up with 8mb
trial service and someone from f2s.com said they will possibly increase
all 2 mb services to 8mb. that means for 24.99 a month, 8mb service with
50gb cap. and not to mention about "NO 12 MONTH CONTRACT"

Regards
Old February 25th 05, 01:31 AM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Bal

"cAm" wrote in message
Bal wrote:
"cAm" wrote in message

[...]

8mb ADSL with a 50gb cap!!! what would be the point, most people will have
maxed ii within a week and that's being conservative. Also can't see BT or
anyone for that matter doing it for 24.99 considering most ISP are in the
middle of announcing new packages/prices as we speak. But then again
stranger things have happened, would we even dreamed about 2mb service a
couple of years back let alone 8mb.

Bal

Bal