Gee, thanks PlusNet

Old February 22nd 05, 10:59 AM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
David Bradley

Default Gee, thanks PlusNet

A friend of mind is in the process of getting a Broadband service from PlusNet and has received an
email which contains this piece of good news:

To confirm, your PlusNet account details are as follows:

* Your e-mail address is
, where postmaster can be
replaced by any word you like or any existing mailboxes on your account.

* Your Web address (URL) is
http://www.44d309654fd07b8e5332db1e6387e7.plus.com

[I have changed a few of the numbers and letters for obvious reasons].

They can't be serious about this, can they? Although I don't see this as a typo error!

David Bradley
Old February 22nd 05, 11:16 AM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
BIGEYE

"David Bradley" wrote in message

A friend of mind is in the process of getting a Broadband service from
PlusNet and has received an
email which contains this piece of good news:

To confirm, your PlusNet account details are as follows:

* Your e-mail address is
, where postmaster can
be
replaced by any word you like or any existing mailboxes on your account.

* Your Web address (URL) is
http://www.44d309654fd07b8e5332db1e6387e7.plus.com

[I have changed a few of the numbers and letters for obvious reasons].

They can't be serious about this, can they? Although I don't see this as
a typo error!

David Bradley

Welcome to PlusNet....
I sympathise with your friend!

Old February 22nd 05, 11:33 AM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
lurch

On Tue, 22 Feb 2005 10:59:43 +0000, David Bradley
strung together this:

They can't be serious about this, can they? Although I don't see this as a typo error!

Every PlusNet email address and website URL I've seen has been in the
format and www.username.plus.com.
Sure your friend didn't lean on the keyboard when applying? ;-)
--

SJW
Old February 22nd 05, 12:24 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
PlusNet Support Team

"David Bradley" wrote in message

A friend of mind is in the process of getting a Broadband service from
PlusNet and has received an
email which contains this piece of good news:

To confirm, your PlusNet account details are as follows:

* Your e-mail address is
, where postmaster can
be
replaced by any word you like or any existing mailboxes on your account.

* Your Web address (URL) is
http://www.44d309654fd07b8e5332db1e6387e7.plus.com

[I have changed a few of the numbers and letters for obvious reasons].

They can't be serious about this, can they? Although I don't see this as
a typo error!

David Bradley

Hi David,

These details won't be the email address and web site address for your
friend. I'm presuming that your friend is upgrading from one of our dial-up
accounts to get broadband. The way our system works is to create a temporary
account with a random username like the one above to do the provisioning of
broadband in order that it doesn't interfere with the dial-up account. It
looks like something might have gone slightly wrong because it's sent out
the wrong details, if you want to let me have your friend's username I can
checl to make sure everything's OK, but I would suspect that it is just the
email that's been sent out incorrectly.

--
With Regards,

Dave,

Old February 22nd 05, 01:41 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
David Bradley

On Tue, 22 Feb 2005 12:32:23 GMT, "N/A" wrote:

On 22-Feb-2005, David Bradley wrote:

A friend of mind is in the process of getting a Broadband service from
PlusNet and has received an
email which contains this piece of good news:

To confirm, your PlusNet account details are as follows:

* Your e-mail address is
, where postmaster can
be
replaced by any word you like or any existing mailboxes on your account.

* Your Web address (URL) is
http://www.44d309654fd07b8e5332db1e6387e7.plus.com

[I have changed a few of the numbers and letters for obvious reasons].

They can't be serious about this, can they? Although I don't see this as
a typo error!

David Bradley

Sounds right to me, the email address [email protected](your ID).plus.com is the
default given to customers by Plusnet and you can create any new addresses
that you want through your account settings. e.g. and
set up individual mailboxes if needed.
The letters before the @ can be anything you want within decency, it's the
bit after the @ that is tied to your account and stays the same.

The URL supplied is your 250 MB of webspace, which again has your ID in the
name.

Just think about what you have said for a moment; so I can have
- some memorable address that would be, and one that
can be so easily remembered when my frield is filling in on line form or giving the email address
over the phone or at conferences! What planet are you living on? Yes it's technically valid, but
as much use as a chocolate teapot.

No, the explanation given by PlusNet is good enough for me and a private response has been sent
directly back to them with the details requested. Their proceedures just need to be tightened up so
that emails about temporary accounts are not sent to the end user.

David Bradley
Old February 22nd 05, 02:09 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
PlusNet Support Team

[...]

Thanks for getting back to me, I have replied to your email and can only
apologise for this email going out. This should never have happened and your
friend should never have seen it, unfortunately a human error mistake was
made which triggered this email.
I can assure you that these email and web addresses are not the real
addresses and your friend's existing email and web address will remain
unchanged.

--

http://www.plus.net

Old February 22nd 05, 02:36 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
BIGEYE

http://www.plus.net

Bungling fools!

Old February 22nd 05, 10:45 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Mark McIntyre

On Tue, 22 Feb 2005 14:36:10 -0000, "BIGEYE"
wrote:

"PlusNet Support Team" wrote in message

I can assure you that these email and web addresses are not the real
addresses and your friend's existing email and web address will remain
unchanged.

Bungling fools!

Thats exceptionally harsh, considering that they're apologising for an
error. Never made a mistake yourself? Missing smiley maybe?