Virgin.net customer support

Old February 22nd 05, 02:33 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Eos

Default Virgin.net customer support

I currently use Virgin ADSL Broadband and have been asked to send 3
Photo's as an e-mail attachment.
Each file is approx 4.8mb in size but when I try to send I get a
message stating 'Your SMTP server has not responded in 60 secs - would
you like to wait another 60 secs'.
The delivery then fails even if selecting to wait another 60 secs and
also if I try to send the photo attachments individually or Zipped up.
I have tried e-mailing Virgin.net and have yet had no response.
In addition I have tried to obtain a customer support number without
any success.
I would therefore appreciate any help on the possible problem or
alternatively the phone number for customer help at Virgin.net in the
UK.

Eos.

Old February 22nd 05, 02:35 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Gordon

Eos wrote:
I currently use Virgin ADSL Broadband and have been asked to send 3
Photo's as an e-mail attachment.
Each file is approx 4.8mb in size

*4.8* *MB*? For a *PHOTO?*
Old February 22nd 05, 02:43 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Ian

"Eos" wrote in message
oups.com...
I currently use Virgin ADSL Broadband and have been asked to send 3
Photo's as an e-mail attachment.
Each file is approx 4.8mb in size but when I try to send I get a
message stating 'Your SMTP server has not responded in 60 secs - would
you like to wait another 60 secs'.
The delivery then fails even if selecting to wait another 60 secs and
also if I try to send the photo attachments individually or Zipped up.
I have tried e-mailing Virgin.net and have yet had no response.
In addition I have tried to obtain a customer support number without
any success.
I would therefore appreciate any help on the possible problem or
alternatively the phone number for customer help at Virgin.net in the
UK.

Eos.

Do you have web space?
If you do, post them up there and get the person to downlowd them.
Many email systems will not accept files of this size and esp. if you are
sending them as on email. Many systems have a limit set. often not much more
than 1M.

Ian

Old February 22nd 05, 03:21 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Danny

Eos wrote:
I currently use Virgin ADSL Broadband and have been asked to send 3
Photo's as an e-mail attachment.
Each file is approx 4.8mb in size but when I try to send I get a
message stating 'Your SMTP server has not responded in 60 secs - would
you like to wait another 60 secs'.
The delivery then fails even if selecting to wait another 60 secs and
also if I try to send the photo attachments individually or Zipped up.
I have tried e-mailing Virgin.net and have yet had no response.
In addition I have tried to obtain a customer support number without
any success.
I would therefore appreciate any help on the possible problem or
alternatively the phone number for customer help at Virgin.net in the
UK.

Eos.

If it's anything to do with your attachments then reduce the file size
by using Photoshop or similar to "lighten" the images by using a lower
resolution and then saving as .jpg. This won't affect the actual
photo size or the image quality as viewed (much). Even a large-ish
image shouldn't use more than 100k at a reasonable resolution?

--
Regards,
Danny

http://www.gaggia-espresso.com (a purely hobby site)
http://www.dannyscoffee.com (UK advert for my mobile espresso service)
http://www.malabargold.co.uk (UK/European online ordering for Malabar
Gold blend)
swap Z for above characters in email address to reply

Old February 22nd 05, 03:36 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Iain Archer

Eos wrote on Tue, 22 Feb 2005
I currently use Virgin ADSL Broadband and have been asked to send 3
Photo's as an e-mail attachment.
Each file is approx 4.8mb in size but when I try to send I get a

Have you seen their T&C's?

:Q. Email and mailbox usage
:[...]
:Each email sent from your mailbox must not exceed 3.5MB in size.

The delivery then fails even if selecting to wait another 60 secs and
also if I try to send the photo attachments individually or Zipped up.

Zipping may not help much if it's already a compressed format. If you
really need to preserve all that data content, you're probably going to
have to use a file splitting utility (and make sure your recipient has a
copy so as to be able do the join); that's if you can't send via a mail
program which has file splitting built in - most of them do.
--
Iain Archer To email, please use Reply-To address
Old February 22nd 05, 03:57 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
ABC

"Eos" wrote in message
oups.com...
I currently use Virgin ADSL Broadband and have been asked to send 3
Photo's as an e-mail attachment.
Each file is approx 4.8mb in size but when I try to send I get a
message stating 'Your SMTP server has not responded in 60 secs - would
you like to wait another 60 secs'.
The delivery then fails even if selecting to wait another 60 secs and
also if I try to send the photo attachments individually or Zipped up.
I have tried e-mailing Virgin.net and have yet had no response.
In addition I have tried to obtain a customer support number without
any success.
I would therefore appreciate any help on the possible problem or
alternatively the phone number for customer help at Virgin.net in the
UK.

Eos.

Email is not designed to send large attachments. Why not use the free
webspace offered by Virgin and use an FTP client to upload the pics. Virgin
will also impose a limit on the size of attachments.

Also you may need to look at the settings of your camera/scanner. 4.8mb for
a jpeg is VERY large. Try reducing the resolution (remember a CRT can only
display pictures upto 72dpi)

Old February 22nd 05, 04:07 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Eos

Yes - they are to be used for a magazine and they want them sent in
JPEG Format at the largest file size. If I were to send them in TIFF
format they would be double the size !

Eos

Old February 22nd 05, 04:13 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
kraftee

Eos wrote:
I currently use Virgin ADSL Broadband and have been asked to send 3
Photo's as an e-mail attachment.
Each file is approx 4.8mb in size but when I try to send I get a
message stating 'Your SMTP server has not responded in 60 secs - would
you like to wait another 60 secs'.
The delivery then fails even if selecting to wait another 60 secs and
also if I try to send the photo attachments individually or Zipped up.
I have tried e-mailing Virgin.net and have yet had no response.
In addition I have tried to obtain a customer support number without
any success.
I would therefore appreciate any help on the possible problem or
alternatively the phone number for customer help at Virgin.net in the
UK.

Eos.

If you have to send such large files then send them seperately as the
servers at Virgin (NTL's I believe) will choke on them if sent as one
message...

Old February 22nd 05, 05:34 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Beck

"Eos" wrote in message
ups.com...
Yes - they are to be used for a magazine and they want them sent in
JPEG Format at the largest file size. If I were to send them in TIFF
format they would be double the size !

You could put them all in one folder and zip the folder. That will still
bring the filesize to around 12mb or so which is still too big. You can
then upload them to your webspace for the other person to download.
Alternatively, I see you use hotmail, why don't you send from that address?
I think Hotmail recently increased the message limit to 10mb each, so you
could send 3 different emails.