Advice on modem/routers please

Old February 22nd 05, 05:59 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Alan Penn

Default Advice on modem/routers please

At present I am sharing my connection on two computers using ms
internet sharing and am thinking of either buying a router to use with
my existing modem(speedtouch 330), or a combined modem/router.
Which is the best way to go and any recommends on makes please.
Thanks.

Regards Alan
Old February 22nd 05, 06:09 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
TomT

Alan Penn wrote:
At present I am sharing my connection on two computers using ms
internet sharing and am thinking of either buying a router to use with
my existing modem(speedtouch 330), or a combined modem/router.
Which is the best way to go and any recommends on makes please.
Thanks.

Regards Alan

I'm very happy with my Vigor 2600Plus... no problems
4port switch built in, QoS, DHCP, VPN great !!!
Old February 22nd 05, 08:47 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Colin Wilson

At present I am sharing my connection on two computers using ms
internet sharing and am thinking of either buying a router to use with
my existing modem(speedtouch 330), or a combined modem/router.
Which is the best way to go and any recommends on makes please.

If its a standard USB modem, then the machine its connected to will
always have to be on for the second machine to be able to access the net.

With a modem/router you can switch either machine off, and the other will
still be able to get out ok.

A router on your existing setup would probably be fairly pointless, as
one of your PCs will be connected direct to the net already, courtesy of
the modem.

A modem/router would provide added firewall protection to both machines
via NAT, as well as allowing for more versatility for using either PC
when it suits.

As for makes - i`ve got a cheap ebuyer one here that hasn`t skipped a
beat in almost 2 years since purchase, and although the "cheap" model has
been superceded a couple of times, I haven`t seen many bad reports about
the replacements.

Old February 22nd 05, 09:25 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Muxton

On Tue, 22 Feb 2005 20:47:36 -0000, Colin Wilson
wrote:

As for makes - i`ve got a cheap ebuyer one here that hasn`t skipped a
beat in almost 2 years since purchase, and although the "cheap" model has
been superceded a couple of times, I haven`t seen many bad reports about
the replacements.

I've just recommended a cheap ebuyer one to my sister (going live
tomorrow) based on the good reviews on their site. So yours is
another recommendation to add to the pile

Jake

Old February 23rd 05, 10:24 AM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Harry

On Tue, 22 Feb 2005 17:59:46 +0000, Alan Penn
wrote:

At present I am sharing my connection on two computers using ms
internet sharing and am thinking of either buying a router to use with
my existing modem(speedtouch 330), or a combined modem/router.
Which is the best way to go and any recommends on makes please.
Thanks.

Regards Alan

I have a wireless 3Com Officeconnect ADSL Modem Router

I have had no problems at all with this baby. The range is very good.
I have 2 PCs at opposite ends of the house and the signal is always
above 90%...I am going over to my neighbours to see if she can connect
to me (150m)....so we shall see just how good it is.

I also recently got a Linksys WAG54 Wireless Gateway Modem for a
freind of mine. Completely trouble free setup. This signal is good but
not as strong as the 3Com. The box is in the front room and I think
they may have trouble if they move a PC upstairs

My Dad bought a Linksys Wired ADSL modem router and he has not had any
issues at all, which is a fantastic recommendation as he is never
happy unless something is 110% perfect.

All these were bought from Ebuyer

HTH

Harry

Old February 23rd 05, 03:01 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Wira One

On Tue, 22 Feb 2005 21:25:44 +0000, Muxton wrote:

I've just recommended a cheap ebuyer one to my sister (going live
tomorrow) based on the good reviews on their site. So yours is
another recommendation to add to the pile

I bought the previous version (Alcatel chipset) of ebuyer 1 port adsl
modem router for 30ish and it has been working w/o any problem for the
past 2 years now.
Old February 23rd 05, 10:27 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Muxton

On Wed, 23 Feb 2005 15:01:02 +0000, Wira One
wrote:

On Tue, 22 Feb 2005 21:25:44 +0000, Muxton wrote:

I've just recommended a cheap ebuyer one to my sister (going live
tomorrow) based on the good reviews on their site. So yours is
another recommendation to add to the pile

I bought the previous version (Alcatel chipset) of ebuyer 1 port adsl
modem router for 30ish and it has been working w/o any problem for the
past 2 years now

Well, I popped over there this evening to help them get set up, and
what did I find? No micro filter in the box, apparently it's not
included, so potential ebuyer cheap router buyers beware. So now they
have 1Mbps broadband (bit of a boost from their Freeserve dialup!) but
no phones if they want to use it!

Bro in law will be paying Maplins a visit tomorrow, probably the
nearest immediate source of cheapish micro filters. Half the price of
PC World.

Incidentally, it's a Texas Instruments chipset, in case anyone needs
or wants to know.

Firmware has lots of advanced options that had me confused to start
with, until I realised that it's a generic non-localised interface, so
many of the available options are not applicable in the UK. Factory
reset does invoke default UK localisation though.

For 'novice' users, all you need to know is the username and password,
and you're up and running in about a minute. Pretty reasonable for
less than 30 quid.

Jake

Old February 24th 05, 07:40 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Muxton

On Thu, 24 Feb 2005 16:27:43 GMT, Nigel M wrote:

In uk.telecom.broadband, Muxton wrote:

Bro in law will be paying Maplins a visit tomorrow, probably the
nearest immediate source of cheapish micro filters. Half the price of
PC World.

Nah, eBay.

Yeah, but they want it, like, yesterday!

Jake