Connection speed slowdown 10% due to Norton Anti Virus

Old February 22nd 05, 06:29 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Ronald Jones

Default Connection speed slowdown 10% due to Norton Anti Virus

My PlusNet 512K connection for some reason has slowed down from 476
Kbps to 437Kbbs (Downstream). And sometimes much lower depending on
time of day etc.

Over a week of "below par" performance as indicated by the Plusnet speed
tester and two other line speed testers and having tried all the
tweaks to try and improve performance I switched off Norton Anti Virus

There was an immediate improvement of 39Kbps. I switched on Norton and
the performance dropped back .So I switched it off and replaced it with
AVG the Free anti virus programme . The performance remained "good" at
476Kbps with AVG connected

Is this performance drop a "feature" of Norton or is this peculiar to my
situation ? I am thinking of NOT renewing my Norton subscription when it
becomes due next month BUT using the free AVG instead Is this to be
recommended or is the paid for utility to be recommended on the basis
of a you get what you pay for.?

--
Ronald Jones
Old February 22nd 05, 07:06 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Roger Cain

"Ronald Jones" wrote in message

So I switched it off and replaced it with AVG the Free anti virus
programme . The performance remained "good" at 476Kbps with AVG connected

A "Firewall" (Norton) is nothing like an anti-virus (AVG). If you have
switched off your firewall you are running a big risk.

Is this performance drop a "feature" of Norton or is this peculiar to my
situation ? I am thinking of NOT renewing my Norton subscription when it
becomes due next month BUT using the free AVG instead Is this to be
recommended or is the paid for utility to be recommended on the basis of
a you get what you pay for.?

You must think of both a firewall AND an anti-virus. Stay with AVG by all
means - it does a good job. You may want to supplement it with Search &
Destroy which can sometimes pick up suff which AVG does not.

You MUST have an efficient firewall. If you're not happy with Norton (and I
am not) go for Zone Alarm freeware or f-Secure which has been getting god
reviews recently.

Old February 22nd 05, 07:57 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
kraftee

Nigel M wrote:
In uk.telecom.broadband, Roger Cain wrote:

A "Firewall" (Norton) is nothing like an anti-virus (AVG).

Why do you assume that "Norton" is a firewall?

Why would a anti virus program slow down the net, unless of course the PO
was talking about downloading files & there it may if it's allowed to check
each byte downloaded as it comes down......

Old February 22nd 05, 08:02 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Danny

Roger Cain wrote:
"Ronald Jones" wrote in message

So I switched it off and replaced it with AVG the Free anti virus
programme . The performance remained "good" at 476Kbps with AVG connected

A "Firewall" (Norton) is nothing like an anti-virus (AVG). If you have
switched off your firewall you are running a big risk.

So, my "Norton Anti Virus" (without firewall) is a firewall? Does
that mean that my Zone alarm firewall is an anti-virus program?

Norton make both - anti-virus and firewall software.

To the OP - I run NAV and don't see the speed problems you are
experiencing.

--
Regards,
Danny

http://www.gaggia-espresso.com (a purely hobby site)
http://www.dannyscoffee.com (UK advert for my mobile espresso service)
http://www.malabargold.co.uk (UK/European online ordering for Malabar
Gold blend)
swap Z for above characters in email address to reply

Old February 22nd 05, 09:38 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Ivor Jones

Danny wrote:
Roger Cain wrote:
"Ronald Jones" wrote in message

So I switched it off and replaced it with AVG the Free anti virus
programme . The performance remained "good" at 476Kbps with AVG
connected

A "Firewall" (Norton) is nothing like an anti-virus (AVG). If you
have switched off your firewall you are running a big risk.

So, my "Norton Anti Virus" (without firewall) is a firewall? Does
that mean that my Zone alarm firewall is an anti-virus program?

Norton make both - anti-virus and firewall software.

To the OP - I run NAV and don't see the speed problems you are
experiencing.

Same here. I am currently running NAV, Norton Personal Firewall,
SpySubtract and Ad-Aware and I don't have any problems besides the usual
slowing down of things that happens to everyone occasionally. I usually
get a download speed indication of around 909kbps on the adslguide speed
test with my 1Mb Wanadoo package.

Ivor

Old February 22nd 05, 10:15 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Danny

Ivor Jones wrote:
Danny wrote:

Roger Cain wrote:

[...]

I just ran the speedtest - 928kbps download speed, 1mb BT-Yahoo
package, Norton, Zonealarm etc running.

Old February 23rd 05, 08:42 AM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Dylan30

Hi

I Have been using AVG free edition for the last 5 years or so. It does what
it's should.
The only draw back is no tech support if you need it and with the latest
version downloading updates is slower.

Other wise I am happy.

Adam