More thoughts on caps and speeds.

Old February 22nd 05, 08:53 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
David WE Roberts

Default More thoughts on caps and speeds.

Hi,

Musing on how reasonable the caps are.

I have just decided to build a new system using Linux Fedora Core 3.

The DVD install image is just over 4Gbytes.

This will blow away the 'low user' caps immediately.

Assume that I download it but the checksum doesn't match - I then have to
download it again to get a good copy.

8Gb and counting....

Problems with the DVD install so I download the 4 CD ISOs at .7Gb a pop.

11Gb and barely getting into my stride.

After install I need to get all the updates since the ISO was created,
plus any applications not on the install CDs.

Anything less than 30Gb for the month and I'm running out of steam.

I did a rough spreadsheet and on a 512k line I think you could download
about 5Gb a day if you ran it flat out. So it should take nearly a full
day to download the DVD ISO.

Upping the speed to 2Gbits/sec would cut that download speed by 4* -
nearer to 6 hours for the download, so a 2Gb service does seem worthwhile
if you run one (or more) Linux systems.

I don't consider myself a heavy user - no games or warez and very little
music - yet even a 15Gbyte cap for a month could leave me in serious
trouble if that was the month I wanted to rebuild a system.

15 Gbytes is downloading flat out for 3 full days (24 hour periods) or
about 10% of the available time. Or using the link full speed for 10% of
the time spread out over the month.

I am coming round to the opinion that it isn't just the 'unsociables' who
will have problems with capped services.

Good deals on 1Gb uncapped for under 30 with a static IP?

Cheers
Dave R
Old February 22nd 05, 09:12 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Mikee

David WE Roberts wrote:

Good deals on 1Gb uncapped for under 30 with a static IP?

Cheers
Dave R

Assume u mean 1meg in which case HomeOffice1000
Old February 22nd 05, 09:27 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Bob Eager

On Tue, 22 Feb 2005 20:53:56 UTC, David WE Roberts
wrote:

I have just decided to build a new system using Linux Fedora Core 3.

(...)

11Gb and barely getting into my stride.

After install I need to get all the updates since the ISO was created,
plus any applications not on the install CDs.

Anything less than 30Gb for the month and I'm running out of steam.

I don't consider myself a heavy user - no games or warez and very little
music - yet even a 15Gbyte cap for a month could leave me in serious
trouble if that was the month I wanted to rebuild a system.

15 Gbytes is downloading flat out for 3 full days (24 hour periods) or
about 10% of the available time. Or using the link full speed for 10% of
the time spread out over the month.

I am coming round to the opinion that it isn't just the 'unsociables' who
will have problems with capped services.

Good deals on 1Gb uncapped for under 30 with a static IP?

You won't get 1Gb/s for under 30......! Did you really mean that?

Well, I download a fair number of ISOs. I have 2Mb/s on my line, and a
monthly daytime soft cap of 3GB. But bwtween roughly 8 p.m. and 6 a.m. I
have no limit. So I schedule the downloads for then. Easy as pie.

Oh, I get lots of static IPs and it costs me 27.02 a month. OTOH,
perhaps the 3GB daytime cap would put you off anyway; I have to say I
get nowheer near that.

Old February 22nd 05, 09:31 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
David WE Roberts

On Tue, 22 Feb 2005 21:12:58 +0000, Mikee wrote:

David WE Roberts wrote:

Good deals on 1Gb uncapped for under 30 with a static IP?

Cheers
Dave R

Assume u mean 1meg in which case HomeOffice1000

(a) a man can dream.....

(b) Which ISP offers HomeOffice 1000 (or is it HMG?).

Old February 22nd 05, 09:33 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
David WE Roberts

wrote:

[...]

Nice to know - but which ISP?

Old February 22nd 05, 09:43 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Mikee

David WE Roberts wrote:

Good deals on 1Gb uncapped for under 30 with a static IP?

Cheers
Dave R

Assume u mean 1meg in which case HomeOffice1000

(a) a man can dream.....

(b) Which ISP offers HomeOffice 1000 (or is it HMG?).

whoops.......... meant to say Demon HOmeOffice1000... douh... more wine
waiter if you please
Old February 22nd 05, 10:06 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Beck

"David WE Roberts" wrote in message
news
Hi,

Musing on how reasonable the caps are.

I have just decided to build a new system using Linux Fedora Core 3.

The DVD install image is just over 4Gbytes.

This will blow away the 'low user' caps immediately.

Assume that I download it but the checksum doesn't match - I then have to
download it again to get a good copy.

8Gb and counting....

Problems with the DVD install so I download the 4 CD ISOs at .7Gb a pop.

11Gb and barely getting into my stride.

After install I need to get all the updates since the ISO was created,
plus any applications not on the install CDs.

Anything less than 30Gb for the month and I'm running out of steam.

How often do you expect to download a linux distro?

Old February 22nd 05, 10:41 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
dan

I need an unlimited service or one with a high cap 100Gb. I do not mind
capped services as long as the uncapped services still exist. I would not
mind paying a little bit more for no cap.

Another point, is how many web servers can send at more than 2Mb? I ask
because very few max the connection out. Microsoft does and a few others.
What we need now is higher upload speeds so we can send files to people
faster. Sending large files of 256k is tiresome!

Dan

Dan

Old February 22nd 05, 10:58 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Muxton

On Tue, 22 Feb 2005 22:41:44 -0000, "dan" wrote:

Another point, is how many web servers can send at more than 2Mb?

???

The majority I know of connect to their respective networks via a
standard 100Mbps fast ethernet interface, and are not rate capped.
The networks they connect to generally run gigabit cores.

You'll find that they don't max out your connection because of
constant renegotiation of the TCP transmission window between it and
your router (i.e. "slow down a bit ... now speed up a bit ... okay,
too much, slow down a bit again..." etc.) The same works in reverse
if the server's very busy - it'll be asking your router to slow down

Jake

Old February 22nd 05, 11:51 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Alex Heney

On Tue, 22 Feb 2005 20:53:56 +0000, David WE Roberts
wrote:

[...]

This depends on which ISP you are talking about.

With the Plusnet caps that are coming in, for instance, if you were on
the 30GB cap, and your normal usage is inside that, then it wouldn't
matter if you have an occasional month that goes up to anything you
can physically download.

You could also have scheduled the downloads overnight (between 1:00am
and 8:00am) when they would not count towards the cap limit. There are
several ISPs, I believe who have an off-peak period that does not
count towards limits.

Of course, if you are going to be doing that much most months, then yo
would not want Plusnet, or any other ISP with a cap at that level.

Good deals on 1Gb uncapped for under 30 with a static IP?

Totally uncapped, and sure to stay so for a reasonable time, not easy
to find :-(

30 with the PN service referred to above will get you a 50GB limit,
with occasional months higher allowed, off-peak not counting, and a
speed as high as your line will allow.
--
Alex Heney, Global Villager
Internal combustion engines are the dinosaurs' revenge