OT - Please help ICS - weird problem

Old February 22nd 05, 10:29 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
dan

Default OT - Please help ICS - weird problem

Hi,

I have just setup a connection between two computers both running Windows XP
Pro SP2. My computer is setup as the client and my younger brothers computer
connects to the internet through mine. Both computers have windows xp
firewall disabled and both have zonealarm installed. Both computers are
connection via cross-over cable. I agree a router is a much better option
but I will only buy one if I have to!

I thought I setup the connection successfully. He can see the connected
internet gateway in his network connections and he can view my shared
folders (network places) He can also use other internet applications such as
file-sharing apps and msn. My problem is internet explorer and opera and
firefox will work for like 5 minutes then each time I type a web address in
I will get a timeout error. The problem will go away once rebooting his pc
but then after 5 or so internet pages time out. Does anybody else have this
problem?

I had the problem once before when I setup a connection from my laptop to my
computer and solved it but I forgot how I done it. Please help, he is going
mad lol.

TIA

Dan

Old February 22nd 05, 10:43 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Beck

"dan" wrote in message
[...]

I have seen this before many times and 99% of the time it is down to
zonealarm. Try disabling zonealarm on both pc's and see if he can then
establish a connection.

Old February 23rd 05, 12:10 AM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Java Jive

Yes, and it makes a difference whether you have ZA Pro (the subscription
version) or just ZA (the free version) ...

IIRC ZA Pro has special settings for ICS so's you can tell it whether it's
on the client or host PC.

In ZA, I've found a fix for the host PC (the one with the connection): Zone
Alarm Control Centre, Firewall, Main, Advanced, Select both 'Allow Outgoing
DNS/DHCP...' options. I've not found a fix for the client though.

Old February 23rd 05, 09:02 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
dan

Sorted it! I finally remebered how I solved it before. I added my ISP's DNS
servers to the trust zone and hey presto, no more problems!

Thanks for responding. I get a nice feeling when niggly problems like this
get solved lol.

Dan

news:[email protected] eranews...